Thermaltake shows mechanical gaming keyboards

COMPUTEX — Keyboards with clicky, mechanical keyswitches have gathered a cult following in recent years, and Thermaltake is planning to capitalize on that. Sitting next to tricked-out enclosures, coolers, and power supplies in the company’s Computex booth, we came across the Meka G1 and Meka, two gaming keyboards outfitted with Cherry switches.

Top: the Meka G1 and its (detachable) wrist rest. Bottom: The Meka. (Note the lack of a Windows key on the latter.)

The Meka on display actually had Cherry Brown switches, but by the time they hit retail, both the plain Meka and the G1 will have Cherry Black switches. The Blacks provide the same amount of resistance all the way to the bottom, while the Browns behave similarly to traditional clicky or buckling spring switches (like the Cherry Blues), in which resistance follows a rising curve that drops after actuation, but without the tell-tale click.

Thermaltake compared these keyboards to the Filco models popular among clicky keyboard fans, saying Meka offerings have higher polling rates. (The full-sized Meka G1 purportedly manages 1,000Hz.)

• gerryg

I might buy the Meka just for the lack of Windows key, but OTOH I’m not a fan of the cursor key placement. *Almost* perfect….

• Ashbringer

What is the cheapest mechanical keyboard that isn’t from 15 years ago by IBM? God knows this keyboard will be $100+

• TheBob!

I bought a ABS M1 on sale at newegg for $20 a few months ago.

• just brew it!

Are you objecting to the original IBM design, or the idea of a used keyboard with a 15 year accumulation of someone else’s board chow?

Unicomp still makes and sells keyboards based on the original IBM design, and they’re less than $100. I’m typing this post on one. 😉

• Flying Fox

q[

• just brew it!

Sounds like not. Which means I can scratch them off of my “I might try one of those sometime” list.

• GreatGooglyMoogly

Windows key is a must. There is no key combination I use in a day more than Win+R.

I bought 2 SteelSeries 7G for half the price, thought I made a steal. Awesome keyboards except that the Win key was a goddamn Fn key. Useless for me in other words.

• Farting Bob

any particular reason why you need to open the run command prompt constantly?

I use it over the Vista/W7 start menu search box because

a) you get the option to choose whether you run as an admin or not
        b) you can add switches and options without fuss.

Win+R is right up there with ALT+TAB for me….

a) could be done by doing ctrl-shift-enter, but you have a point with b)

• GreatGooglyMoogly

Launch programs and open dirs with Speed™.

You know those launcher apps that have become a bit popular during the past couple of years? Since the Windows 2000 days, I’ve had tersely named shortcuts in a path which I’ve added to the PATH environment variable, so I can access them from everywhere. For example “f” for firefox, “ps” for photoshop, etc.

• Flying Fox

With Windows 7 they have added a lot more useful key combos with the Windows key. It is hard not to use them now.

• ironoutsider

Got to man up man, then eat her brains. Brains!! *munches on brains*

• Bauxite

I wonder if these are all actually made by the same costar OEM that makes the Filcos, M1, etc. Even if so there can be major characteristic differences but its still mildly ironic.

At least cherry blacks are great switches, I swear by a linear filco at home and work.

• Meadows

1000 Hz is vain for a keyboard. This thing is going to suck CPU cycles for /[

• jcw122

Your right, our lowly processors will be slowed to a halt!

• Meadows

Even 1000 Hz /[

• Shining Arcanine

Wouldn’t multicore processors offset that? I cannot imagine that polling the USB bus at 1000Hz requires more than a single core and we all know how well games utilize multicore processors (not well at all).

• Meadows

Even nowadays, people on Logitech’s boards for example are mentioning framerate increases in game X or Y that’s quite demanding, when they use lower (as much as default) polling rates for their mice.

I figure that input is a very high priority interrupt for the system, and you probably don’t want to go overboard with it unless you don’t care because you’re a water cooled overclocker or something.

• Krogoth

g{<>implying that peripheral devices consume more than 2% of a modern CPU and games are severely CPU-bound.<}g

l[<>implying usb is better than ps/2 for keyboards<]l

• Krogoth

g{<>implying that keyboards are limited by their interface.<}g

babby.jpg

• Meadows

He was implying the opposite, you retard.

• Krogoth

g{<>implying that keyboards are SERIOUS BUSINESS!<}g

• Fragnificent

You do realize that this is utterly wrong? I don’t think KB polling has been in use for a very long time. A keyboard, even one with 1000Hz resolution, is so far below the abilities of a processor it’s irrelevant. Also, the processor does not handle slow I/O directly. The Southbridge has a DMA engine that reads data from a buffer specific to the device you’re talking about, whether its PS2 or USB, or w/e. Ethernet’s a lot faster, have you ever seen CPU time get wasted by downloading a huge file at 4 MB/sec??

• d0g_p00p

Thanks to the ABS M1, I don’t need to look for a new keyboard for a long long time.

Although for some reason I do have more typo’s on the damn thing, but It’s well worth it.

• gbcrush

My fiancee would look at this article and say “but where are the ergonomic models?”

GET TO IT, THERMALTAKE! 😀

(clicky-keyboard loving geek females are rare, we must encourage more!)

• Hattig

That’s it, ram the cursors into the main keyboard area and move the shift key to compensate, resulting in moving the ?/ key.

• khands

Looks like some win to me (assuming decent price), of course, that’s on the “nice to have” than the “need to have” side of the spectrum.

• Ashbringer

If the price is right. Which I doubt.

• bhtooefr

L-shaped enter key = fail. (Also, IMO, linear switches = fail, but that’s just me.)

Interesting layout choice, though. What I’d actually like to see is someone make a normal 101 (or 104) key layout, except without the editing block or arrow keys.

Normally, tenkeyless is the way keyboard designers go for a smaller keyboard, but every key in the editing block is available on the numpad with num lock off, and the numpad is only one column wider.

That layout comes close, although it goes nonstandard to add arrow keys.

• ludi

I don’t mind the L-“Enter” key, IF and ONLY IF it doesn’t result in a single-width backspace key.

Unfortunately, on the entry-level model, it does, which is a /[

• Exo

I prefer L-shaped enter. Enter is one of the most usefull key so it should be big IMO.

• Meadows

No, a dash-shaped Enter key “is fail”.

• sweatshopking

who cares about keyboards?

ssk

• grantmeaname

I do!

Adi

• roont

so do i. keyboards are your main interface to your PC, which im sure many people on this site care a lot about. interface is just as important as any other componant.

• Jon

Gosh, that’s…….incredible!

• jcw122

Obviously you don’t, because your probably not a gamer.

• sweatshopking

i WOULD be a gamer again, if my wife allowed me too, but i have too many chores and not enough time. I need to behave, she saw some of my previous posts, and I was in huge trouble. 🙁

• just brew it!

Oh, you mean the “Should I divorce my wife?” thread? Heh. I was wondering whether that thing would come back to bite you in the posterior; a public tech forum did not seem like the best place to be seeking advice on that particular topic! 😀

• BooTs

Lose the numpad and I’d be interested. Need that space to keep my mouse in a more natural position ergonomically.

• ew

No kidding! Or at least put it on the left side of the keyboard.

• Exo

I absolutely agreed. Numpad is useless and take off space that I could use for my mouse or something else.

• The Wanderer

You obviously A: don’t need to type numbers quickly without looking (*far* faster and easier with a numeric keypad than with the number row!), and B: don’t play e.g. roguelikes (diagonal movement all but requires a numeric keypad). I think I’d rather give up the F# keys than give up the numeric keypad.