Biostar, MSI flaunt Sandy Bridge motherboards

COMPUTEX — Intel’s next-generation Sandy Bridge processors may not be due out for at least another six months, but here at Computex, some motherboard makers were already showing Sandy Bridge-compatible mobos based on Intel’s future 6-series chipsets.

We caught a glimpse of three such boards: one from MSI and two from Biostar. All three had LGA1155 sockets and fairly conventional-looking layouts, although MSI had beefed up its offering with low-profile (and purportedly long-lasting) "Hi-c" capacitors.

When we inquired about performance and clock speeds, we were told to expect a "lot of surprises" from Sandy Bridge, both on the CPU and graphics fronts. (Sandy Bridge, for those unaware, will succeed Nehalem, the architecture upon which Intel bases its current Core i3, i5, and i7 processors.)

Interestingly, one of the two companies claimed existing LGA1156 processors won’t actually be able to function in LGA1155 boards with 6-series chipsets. We were also told that Intel will stick to existing Core in model numbers for Sandy Bridge CPUs.

About the 6-series chipsets themselves, Biostar had both the P67 and H67 (which looks to support integrated graphics) on display. Judging by the label on the MSI board, that one seemed to be based on the H67, as well. Both chipsets have 6Gbps Serial ATA connectivity built in. The MSI product card also mentions support for CrossFire and SLI.

• ronch

Houston to Bulldozer… Houston to Bulldozer… do you copy? Please respond… Target enemy Sandy Bridge sighted… Come in please…

• pogsnet
    • Prototyped

Sigh, Cyril. Clarkdale is LGA 1156 not LGA 1155. Per both Intel’s datasheets and ARK. They may have /[https://techreport.com/ja.zz?id=466810<]§

• yuhong

I created this thread asking for Sandy Bridge’s underside exactly because of this confusion:
      §[<https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71763<]§ Good thing AMD decided to call their sockets AM2/AM3 instead, which is much more sensible. Quiz: How many pins does a AM2 processor have? AM2 socket? AM3 processor? AM3 socket?

• pedro

I can’t put my finger on it but I seem somewhat underwhelmed by SB at this stage. I don’t know why. Early days sure but the feeling remains.

I hope there will be a few surprises in store.

• MadManOriginal

No PCI, finally. Intel has at leat one mATX board without it but I hope that by the time SB comes out it’s more commonplace to at least give people who don’t care about carrying over PCI cards some good choices.

• Kurotetsu

ASUS just released an X58 board that features no PCI slots, it also has an integrated HD5770 (the desktop version, not the mobile) and Lucid Hydra:

§[<http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/asus-concept-hydra-motherboard4352.jpg<]§

• MadManOriginal

I’d hardly call what was stated to be an engineering excercise as ‘released.’ I do realize that many ATX boards have only 2 PCI slots which is fine because who runs out of slots on a full ATX board? It matters a little more for mATX boards although really as long as you can fit a dual slot graphics card and at least one more PCIe card it’s not bad.

• SomeOtherGeek

OK… I’m curious: What is the benefit of SB? Cuz I’m not impressed with the chipset. Does it take less power? Is it smaller? The only thing that seems the new standard is the SATA 3 setup. I know that the SB CPU will be a new hotness, but it is the chipset I’m wondering about here.

• Kurotetsu

From what I understand, Sandy Bridge will bring 32nm quad cores (currently, 32nm CPUs are only available to consumers as a dual core + IGP or as a six core chip). These should use less power and clock higher than the current 45nm quad cores.

• wira020

I wouldnt be surprised if it is good.. so, i’m guessing they’re saying it’s a surprise because of how bad the performance is…

• NeelyCam

Wanna bet SB CPUs are going to be named i4/i6/i8?

• SomeOtherGeek

I’m in!

• MadManOriginal

Yeah but then they’d be out of names for the nest series after that…but maybe they’ll recycle names like they did for some Core 2-based CPUs.

• ew

I didn’t know “HI-C” could be used as a dielectric! §[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-C<]§

• NeelyCam

Citric acid works wonders as an electrolyte catalyst.

• kamikaziechameleon