Friday night topic: What are you playing?

It’s getting worse every year. During the holiday season, a million new games come out, and there’s simply not enough time to play them all. Then we enter some comparatively lean months, and I spend my time catching up the best I can while also working in some new releases. This year has been especially tough.

My latest obsession is Just Cause 2, because it’s simple fun with awesome physics that are hilariously cartoonish. The combination of an omni-competent grappling hook and an essentially magic parachute make you a sort of superhero. And then you get to play in an enormous sandbox, doing pretty much whatever. Turns out to be very addictive.

Before that, I was into Bad Company 2, which I liked better than Modern Warfare 2 by quite a bit.

But several promising games remain dormant in my Steam account, including Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, and a copy of GTA IV I got on sale for seven bucks. I’m afraid I’ll never get around to them all.

Have you caught up on the latest wave of games, or do you feel overwhelmed like me? What’s occupying your time these days, and where do you expect to go next? Discuss.

• eonsim

Alpha Protocol, would be a lot better if it had a proper save system rather than a stupid console based checkpoint system, at least it’s interesting so far.

• Mars_999

LOL I have 30 games I have bought in the last year I haven’t played sitting on my desk, and many more on steam!

Just got to plug away, to many good games to miss out on!

• burntham77

EverQuest II
    Bad Company 2
    Torchlight
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    Supreme Commander 2
    Green Day Rock Band (well, the demo anyway)
    The God of War Collection
    Final Fantasy Anthology
    Dragon Age Awakening

• normalicy

Yup, I’m doing the exact same thing. Going through my pile of unplayed games. Let’s see:

Stalker….. All of them
    The Witcher
    Mass Effect 2
    Bioshock 2
    Crysis….. All of them (yeah, I’m that far behind)
    Tomb Raider – Underworld
    COD MW2
    Mirror’s Edge

And then I have a bunch of indie games (like 10) that I need to go through that I’m sure will take a week each. Heck, I’m sure I’m missing a still. Fallout 3 & Plants vs. Zombies killed my game playing time this year.

• burntham77

I am very curious about The Witcher. Is is an action-RPG similar to Diablo or something different?

• MadManOriginal

The gameplay is somewhat action-clicky realtime combat but you need to use certain techniques versus certain enemies and time your attacks so there’s more to it than just clicking. It has a very interesting and deep alchemy system. Character development is somewhat open but there are definitely ‘better’ builds, it’s based around a fiction novel series though so it had to stay somewhat true to the established world and characters and there’s no clear cut ‘rogue/warrior/mage/ranger’ separation. Witchers are slightly mutated humans who mostly rely on swordplay but have some useful magic. It’s definitely not a pure action RPG like Diablo, there is a real story and the best part is that it’s non-linear – things you do affect later interactions and plot direction and avenues and there are multiple endings. It’s an RPG with no clear cut good vs bad but rather grey ‘lesser of two evils’ moral choices.

Nice deal on the Enhanced Edition here: §[<http://www.jr.com/atari/pe/ATA_WITCHERENH/<]§ that will save you bothering with downloading and patching like I did with my $15 regular edition that I bought because the enhanced was $35 at the time :p

• Kaleid

I don’t really have the time and the games I’ve tried haven’t really been very good. Too many console ports on the PeeZee… 🙁

• KoolAidMan

Starcraft 2 since the beta will soon be going down for an undetermined amount of time.

Made my gaming decision really easy this weekend, it was either play more Red Dead Revolver, finish Super Mario Galaxy 2, or play Starcraft 2.

Starcraft 2 it is!

• mcforce0208

I seriously like MW2 at the mo. Maybe playing it a tad to much…. Play BC2 and Supreme commander 2 on the side.

• yogibbear

Playing through Alpha Protocol. Don’t listen to the reviews. It’s Mass Effect 1 set in a more Deus Ex meets Bourne Identity universe. Play it.

• The Dark One

Playing through Arkham Asylum again, without being a wuss on the diffuculty mode. That and L4D2. No matter how good or bad each Friday’s mutation is, I’m going to play through it at least once, just because it’s Valve.

• twizttid13

Just beat COD MW2 now onto RE4 (Yea I haven’t played it yet).

• anotherengineer

CS Source is life.

• Proxicon

Working on my 5th level 80 on WoW. Can’t wait for cataclysm.

• indeego

Old School with HL2 and getting the added achievementsg{<.<}g

• PetMiceRnice

I’ve been busy lately, but when I have time, I have been playing a lot of Far Cry 2 on the PS3. I didn’t think too much of it at first, but it soon grew on me and now I’m having a blast. Not too long ago, I also found a used copy of Namco Museum for the original Xbox and it was a bit of a kick playing some of the classics in there.

• DrCR

FC2 – /[

• PetMiceRnice

Yeah I hear what you are saying, but I am still enjoying the overall experience. I waited until I could get it for $20, so that helps too I guess. Even so, I do have to admit that I enjoyed the first Far Cry on the PC better. That was a hard game but also very fun. I remember it being /[

• RickyTick

It’s hard to beat the multiplayer gameplay of COD4. Especially with all the mods out there. Also still enjoying Shattered Horizon.

• dmjifn

Solium Infernum.

§[<http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/25/hands-on-solium-infernum/<]§ It has more issues than my highschool girlfriend, but I'm more smitten so it works out. :)

• PenGun

I just play Stalker. All three of em’ … endlessly. Nothing else even comes close for pure fun so my collection of games sits mostly unused. There’s a Bioshock save about half way. Bordelands got old really fast and Metro 2033 only took up 20 hours or so for two play throughs.

Stalker will do. LURK for SOC is out. Time to run through SOC again,

• grantmeaname

Left 4 Dead 2, some Bioshock, Heroes of Might and Magic V:TOE, Audiosurf

• lethal

Homeworld!

I missed the boat on this game by about 11 years, but I’m pretty hooked up anyway =p.

• Xenolith

Atari 2600 games (high score club) and I just coded a mod for Starsiege/Tribes.

• TurtlePerson2

I think you might be a decade or two behind.

• Game_boy

Banjo-Kazooie.

Rebought an N64 for it.

• dashbarron

I loved this series! Nice to know someone else enjoys it.

Finally finished Witcher, Batman AA, tried Dragon Age didn’t like, now back to playing a bit of WoW, L4D1/2, StarCraft II Beta, Anno 1404, and always looking for a new hit….

• emi25

Friday night topic: there is a revolution running right now: the EVO.
    If you do not know what an EVO is, complain to TR staff.

• Meadows

Dog food?

• DrCR

Top gear got, what, 5mpg when testing out the Evo on their track…

• Jigar

Just installed Supreme Commander part 1…

• Voldenuit

Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.

Just picked up Supreme Commander 2 for $10.99 on Steam, only after checking that it uses Steam for native DRM (why is it so hard for publishers to get that users don’t want multiple layers of DRM infesting their PCs?).

• DrDillyBar

NWN Diamond; Sins of a Solar Empire; Startrek online and TF2.

• StuG

Actually been really getting into DoWII now that the balancing has been taken care of “for the most part”

• GFC

Eh.. Starcraft2 beta is just SO good. Too bad it’s going to be off in a day or two..

• killadark

hmm still stuck with playing Cod mw2. got BLUR recently that is also a great game waiting for POP to come for pc BC:BC2 got it the day it released still on lvl5 nvr got a hold of the game maby cuz i play MW2 its kinda diffrent controls and fell

• rUmX

Addicted to SC2 Beta atm. Can’t get enough of it.

• Firestarter

This, it has effectively put an hold on all other activities.

• jpostel

I had to stop playing because I was traveling for work. I need my fix.

• redavni

Eve, Quake Live, and a bit of Sins of a Solar Empire.

• [SDG]Mantis

SupCom 2. Not as in depth as its predecessor, but faster paced and still fun. I with that they would get some new maps. But with the Steam price break this weekend, you can have it for $11 and very well worth it. This is the current go-to RTS game for my group of friends.

I already finished ME2 and am not one to really replay RPG’s that often. Great game, though. I was worried by some of the more FPS-style elements that I had read about in the early reviews. They could have overshadowed the story telling that was so great in the first game. But my worries were misplaced. Outstanding game.

• sydbot

I try to talk myself into Forza 3 sessions every day. But when I actually play something not Rock Band 2, I’m usually gem grinding on Torchlight.

• TurtlePerson2

I’ve been playing Civ 4 with a couple of friends. We play as a team on Emperor with tech trading disabled. This allows us to have a slight advantage over the bots, but sometimes it feels more like a bot stomp. I’m hoping to move up to the next level soon.

I just finished Fallout 3 a few days ago. It could have been better if the main quest had some more oomph and the side quests had more purpose, but overall the atmosphere was incredible. I haven’t had a game affect me emotionally in a long time, but playing Fallout 3 was depressing, even with the old-timey music playing.

• mav451

SC2 beta, and some random WC2:DP on the side.

• burntham77

EverQuest 2 is still my go-to MMO. BF:BC2, Torchlight, Dragon Age: Awakenings and Sins of a Solar Empire are in my current Windows gaming rotation. The God of War Collection puts my ass on the couch about an hour at a time.

Once I get through some of these games, next up will be Darksiders and Mass Effect 2. There is just not enough time in the day. I figure when I retire I might have time to catch up with this stuff. Considering I am 32, guess I’ll just have to remain behind the curve.

• Meadows

Quake Live, if even.

• Thebolt

I got into BF: BC2 until I got bored of that and went back to MW2.

Battlefield added some much needed variation to the standard on foot shooter but grew long in the tooth rather quickly.

I went back to MW2 as it is far better as far as game play is concerned. Battlefield feels like BF1942 felt, they haven’t improved upon the formula. I expect newer games to be more snappy and real time than titles from the past. The battlefield series just can’t deliver on this. Their saving grace is the presentation of new content and unlockable equipment. Once that got old there was no need to keep playing.

• MadManOriginal

Kind of ‘overwhelmed’ in that I picked up a few Steam sale games at $5-8. I’ve ignored sales since then because I don’t want to be buying crap just because it’s on sale like a woman buying shoes. Paying $40+ for games when there’s a backlog anyway seems foolish to me, it only makes sense when it’s a near multiplayer-only game but if it’s not worth playing in a year was it any good in the first place?

When I just want some fun fast and non-commital gaming these days I still just fire up CS:S. It has to be by FAR my most played game and not because it’s been out for so long but rather because I just always go back to it and have only made it part way through some games because I stop playing them and just fire up CS:S.

I need to finish The Witcher, Mass Effect 1, World of Goo, Torchlight (yeah, didn’t finish it lol but the mods are cool) *start* Star Wars: KotoR (lol!), Titan Quest, Psychonauts, and all 5 X-Com games just to mention the ‘major’ ones I’ve gotten from Steam sales. I am pretty sure my interest in newer games is almost gone and I just don’t game very much any more. Some of those might go unplayed or unfinished altogether, I can only hope that compatability with future OSes continues because I can see myself casually playing some of those years from now. On the up side when I do get around to them they will run great on any IGP. I think this Toys R Us kid has finally grown up.

If there is one game that has a remote chance of getting me back in to gaming a ton it’s Mechwarrior reboot but I think that’s mostly nostalgia because I was big in to Battletech as a kid, played all the old games going back to DOS days (MW4 was a sorry piece of crap though so I didn’t finish it,) and played MPBT: 3025 and got hooked up with a gaming ‘community’ that moved on to MMORPGs but I didn’t follow. Chances are by the time it comes out I’ll be entirely beyond gaming.

• Blazex

currently, some super mario brothers, started a new game last week, and some gran turismo 4, quake 1, if im really bored, pop in my gta iv disc and blow stuff up 🙂

• liar

I am rotating between Fallout3 (Point Lookout) and the original Diablo. 5′ by 7′ on the living room wall. To make Diablo a challenge, I am playing hard-core: how many levels down can I get without dying…at all. If my character is killed, make a new one. So far 10 levels is as far as I can get.

• cegras

Dystopia, TF2, … a bunch of valve games, global agenda.

This is more like a survey than a discussion, eh?

• Ardrid

My backlog is absolutely insane thanks to all the crazy deals I’ve taken advantage of. My PC backlog isn’t so terrible. I’ve got Crysis/Warhead to deal with, the 2nd NWN2 expansion, and a few indie games. My PS3/PSP backlog is nuts though. Currently I’m playing FFXIII and replaying Fallout 3 (such a damn good game; snagged Broken Steel/Point Lookout at Newegg for $8).

Oh, and I’ve been playing a ridiculous amount of the StarCraft 2 beta. Looking forward to playing all of these when my new parts get here next week too. It’s been 3 years since I’ve upgraded, so to say I’m giddy would be an understatement. Lynnfield & Cypress, here I come!

• firerules16

I sunk 65 hours into FFXIII in the course of a week and a half. This is while working 50 hours a week and getting up at 5am every morning for work… I think I’m still trying to catch up on sleep.

• Nowin

CS:S. Been playing counter-strike since beta. Great game.

• MixedPower

Valve just updated HL2 with achievements, so I’ve been running through it trying to get them all. I’m almost done (just need Vorticough and Lamba Locator), but I’m not sure I’ll finish them; I’m getting kinda burnt out on it.

I got the Splinter Cell series in a Steam sale a few days ago, so that’ll probably be up next.

• ihira

Original Starcraft single player campaign, yes not even brood war (yet)

I’m a noob trying to learn in preparation of SC2 arrival.
    Some of these Protoss campaigns are friggin difficult…

• yogibbear

Alan Wake. And yes it’s the first 360 game i’ve played and it’s awesome. Borrowed a mate’s 360 to play it.

• SomeOtherGeek

When I have the time – I don’t know where it goes! – I play SC2. It is great fun at the “hard” levels. Still on Wizard 101 with kids. I have yet to play Dragon Age. I just removed Torchlight, it was too time consuming. I have Dirt 2 and Just Cause 2 waiting for me. Maybe next year or two…

• jstern

Metroid Fusion, and then on to Metroid Zero Mission

By the way I consider Metroid Prime 2 Echoes the greatest game ever made. For my taste at least.

• End User

TF2 as much as possible.

• marvelous

just cause hell no. Game is too childish.

Playing bf2 for 3 years and haven’t stopped. On the side I’ve been playing Assassin’s Creed 2

• donkeycrock

Altitude is a sick sick game. TF2 is the old stand by.

• odizzido

I find it really easy to keep up. The vast majority of games are garbage or don’t release on PC now so I only have a few each year.

• Corrado

Playin red dead redemption right now. Killer game.

• Loch Ness Monster

TF2 and Halo 3

• south side sammy

NFS Shift. Kinda like it but the bugginess is really pissing me off.
    Got done with FarCry2 for the twentieth time…. wore it out I guess. Still can’t find all the diamonds. 220 at last count.
    MOH Spearhead on line once in a while
    F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate…. had the game since it came out but just got around to playing it.
    Ordered BBC2, should be here next week. Hope it’s enjoyable.
    Want another really texture rich, graphics rich, fun to play racing game.

• Wintermane

Heh im still playing fallout 3 with a ton of mods.

got dugeon lords for 9 bucks and amazingly enough it works on win 7.

Playing alot of borderlands and its dlc.

Just got stalker call of whatever was on sale .. first stalker ive played have yet to install actualy…

Have yet to finish red alert 3 got that on sale cheap.

grand theft 4..

I have yet to play my supreme commander or its expansion I got way back when…

• Krogoth

Team Fortress 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, Privateer I and a few other classical titles here and there.

• FuturePastNow

Star Trek Online… make fun of me.

Looking forward to Starcraft 2.

• Duck

BF2 !! (not BC2)

• codedivine

I am playing the PSOne Castlevania!

• Exo

Symphony of the night?

• codedivine

Yes indeed.

• Exo

Awesome game!

• dragmor

Magic Carpet 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (WOG) and Blood Bowl.

I get about 15 minutes on a good day to play games.

• clone

Microsoft Chess….. sometimes I mix it up by going to This American Life and letting an episode play while I play a few rounds of Chess….. other times it’s a Tech Report podcast or Youtube music in the background.

• NeelyCam

GTA4 and Oblivion.

• wiak

i play Supreme Commander 2 atm, why? on sale 50% off at steam 😀

Oh man… $10.99? an extra dollar more and its in impulse buy territory. I’ve played the demo and I told myself that I’ll pick this game up when its on sale, but I was thinking $5. Kinda on the fence if it’s worth $11 or not. (I’ve had SC/TA game, even Kingdoms and it’s expansions).

• Krogoth

Avoid it like the plague.

There is a reason why the game is going for $10 after 3 months after its release. I only had played the demo, but it was enough to convince me that the full version wasn’t worth it.

Imagine a game that looks like Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander I, but developer ripped out what made them distinctive from the rest of the RTS crowd. What you get is another cheesy Blizzard-style RTS clone.

It is the epitome of consolistis that has been plaguing the PC gaming.

• cfroese

I’m still playing Dragon Age. Been at it for months. Hmm, well, no, mostly I’ve not been at it hence the months part.

Other than that, I so far out of the gaming loop it doesn’t matter what’s out. I just find something recent (as in shipped in the last 2 years) that I haven’t played. Games are much cheaper when you don’t insist on playing the latest.

• heinsj24

Just finished Stalker – Call of Pripyat so I decided I would sit down and finish Shadow of Chernobyl. Just ordered Clear Sky. So there’s my plan for summer – STALKER, STALKER, and STALKER all in correct order.

Hopefully, when I am tired of STALKER, Fallout 3 – Vegas will be out along with Two Worlds 2. If not there’s always Dragon Age:O + Dragon Age:A and/or Mass Effect + Mass Effect 2.

All this and Civ 4 (oh… soon to be 5)

• PetMiceRnice

I’m not actively gaming on the PC anymore, but I did recently come across Shadow of Chernobyl in a clearance bin at a store unexpectedly and picked it up. I have played it a little bit and it looks interesting.

• clone

I loved Shadow of Chernobyl……. immersive game with a nifty game zone….. I don’t know what it was that I liked so much about it but I really did….. loved exploring each zone and dealing with the varying challenges.

I guess it was convincing enough….. I don’t know but really liked it.

they also have Clear Sky which was pretty good and a good sequel, haven’t played Pripyat yet.

• DrDillyBar

Long Live Civ.

• bdwilcox

PC isn’t set up yet so I’ve been playing Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction on the PS3. Fantastic game. This is my third time through it with the Ryno4 Ever. Picked it up on clearance at target for $20 and its probably the best $20 I’ve spent in years.

• PenGun

I just play Stalker. All three of em’ … endlessly. I have qite a few games but apart from a few hours playing Metro 2033 recently I just play Stalker.

With the mods and the many different ways to approach the games they have immense re-playability.

• Exo

Playing Ninja Gaiden 1 on snes emulator. And god, I hate those eagles…

• wira020

Finished Bioshock2 a few months ago and then played the first Bioshock… Bioshock 2 is a great game but it really lacks the suspense element of the first game…

Also have played Mass Effect 2 twice… good game, but not great.. the ending really make me wish i have a time machine so i wont have to wait for Mass Effect 3…

Recently got stuck with Tropico 3.. I have always favored RTS n Sim games.. Tropico 3 is the best I played this recent few years… simple but really2 addicting.. Always made me late for stuff..

Now just installed GTAIV : Episodes from liberty city , Splinter Cell Conviction an RE5… Splinter look promising but I dont think it’s the kind of game that will make me play it again after i finish it..

I just found out that Red Dead Redemption is not available for PC at the moment.. that suxs… from what i see on youtube… it looks great… i dont care if it’s just console port or whatever.. just bring it to PC!!..

TBH, I’m getting sick of the need to patch games… most PC games feels unfinished n buggy… not to mention glitches.. I dont have a good internet connection… I miss the good old day when games are perfectly playable from released… no need to download 500mb patches or updates… sigh…

• ImSpartacus

TF2, haven’t bought a game since Halo ODST, and that was for the Halo Reach beta.

You just can’t beat TF2’s gameplay. It can’t be done.

• spintroniX

Sure you can, with quake 1 team fortress.

• odizzido

Indeed. Q1 TF is so much better.

• willyolio

starcraft 2 will take me away from TF2.

• clone

I found TF2 overly repetitive.

but I never got into joining a clan and just played with teams in the best ways that I could complement them so I never really experienced real team play all that often.

don’t really get all that much from player vs player …. just not my cup of tea I guess, no adventure in it, too much rinse and repeat.

Aside from TF2, I’ve been going through GTA4 and recently picked up King Arthur from the latest steam sale; it’s been fun.

• mac_h8r1

I’m with you on Just Cause 2, Damage. There’s SO MUCH to do. The actual campaign can be finished pretty quickly if you put your mind to it, but it’s just so much fun going for completion of villages, or messing around with airplanes, ridiculous climbs, and free-falling for 3 miles when you hit the game ceiling.

Have you found the hot-air balloon or beached whale yet?

• evilpaul

I’m apparently further behind than most. I just finished up Mass Effect last week (started it in May, I haven’t been playing it forever) and started on its sequel this week.

Aside from Mass Effect 2’s controls being different it’s a worthy successor to ME1 so far.

• KarateBob

I’ve been playing with a Phenom II X2 550 Black edition I got on clearance from Frys for $50. 4 cores are successfully unlocked, now it’s time to see how fast this baby will go.

//Gaming? TF2, still.

I’ve been playing MLB2K10 and the Starcraft II Beta (doktorfunken.stein if you’re on B.net) on PC. I don’t think I’ve played anything but those two games since I got them. I own other stuff I haven’t really touched, like Mass Effect, but meh. Spending more and more time with other hobbies.

• ColdMist

Bad Company 2. Me and a couple of friends play from 9pm to midnight on Fridays, with teamspeak. In a squad like that, with voice chat, it’s a blast!

• lilbuddhaman

even without buddies its a blast.

most of the “rage” kills that people get on me are “Fuuuuu…ok he used THAT and i was doing THIS…so yeah… he’s an asshole but he did get the kill” , unlike MW:2 which is mostly ” Fuuuuuu.. where how did what do huh ? “

• Pettytheft

Currently working my way through Alan Wake. Started off slow for the first few hours but it’s getting good now. I have Red Dead Redemption on the way, that should keep me busy for a while.

On the PC side I’m waiting for Dragon Age Awakenings to get patched and I’ll jump into a second run of Mass Effect 2 soon.

Still need to complete Dawn of War 2 as well. As much as I love the deals on the PC now sometimes it’s a bit much. I have way too many options and I always end up firing up Civ4 because I can’t make a decision. I have about 8 games that I’ve barely touched.

• bodom81

I’ve been playing MW2 for quick, nearly instant action, It is quite entertaining to see how many kills you can get before you get knifed from behind! Or bombed from above! I also have BC2 but couldn’t find any servers last night! I am really excited to try it out!

I also just got XP working on my new build so I can start up X-wing Alliance!! I am going to pick up a joystick after work! Woot! for space sims!!

• not@home

Uhhh… I still have not finished Diablo II.

• Farting Bob

You cant claim you’ve really finished diablo 2 until youve collected every single unique and set item and have a level 99 character.

• aspect

Playing Starcraft 2, will play this game until Starcraft 3 or Warcraft 4. The next game I do look forward to playing is Transformers: War for Cybertron, hopefully it will be like Batman Arkham Asylum and be the first good Transformers game.

• Neutronbeam

Mass Effect 2 now, then on to something like /[

• Farting Bob

Im currently playing Defense Grid, which is a tower defence style game that i got on steam for £6 recently. Its alright for killing time, and one of those you dont realise that the clock just ticked over 3am and your still awake.

Another game im in to right now is Assassins creed 2.
    great game, finished recently it and unfortunatealy like the first one theres little drawing me to return for another go, shame really as i sure do love the free-flowing rooftop jumping its just far too locked into the story that it leaves nothing to do other than kill a guard and see how many of his friends you can fight off or escape. I did fight off about 30 guards last time in Venice, they just kept coming and i just kept stabbing. I refuse to give in to their pointless “find 100 feathers spread throughout the world with no use of maps or markers” thing. Its stuff like that which can kill any enjoyment i had for a game.

• axeman

DiRT 2… but i pretty much suck at it.