Enermax, Seasonic show unique 80 Plus Gold PSUs

COMPUTEX — Power supplies with 80 Plus Gold certification abounded at Computex this week, but some units stood out more than others. Two new introductions in particular caught our eye: Enermax’s 87++ and Seasonic’s X-Series Fanless series.

The Enermax 87++ family will include 1,100W, 1,300W, and 1,500W models, all of which will surpass the official 80 Plus Gold standard. That standard mandates efficiency of 90% at a 50% load and 87% at 20% and 100% loads. However, Enermax told us 87++ units can reach 91-92% efficiency at a 50% load when connected to a 115V outlet. Folks in Europe and other areas with 230V power should be able to enjoy up to 93% efficiency.

87++ PSUs will include magnetic Twister Bearing fans, too, which can hit lower rotational speeds than traditional ball- or sleeve-bearing fans with much less friction.

Look for Enermax’s 87++ power supplies in stores some time in the fourth quarter of this year. The firm didn’t quote pricing, but considering the efficiency numbers and rather high wattages, these puppies probably won’t be cheap.

Moving on, Seasonic showed us its new X-Series Fanless line, which couples 80 Plus Gold certification with an entirely fanless design and modular cabling. Seasonic has traded fans for a very open, meshed design that should enable airflow from within the PC to dissipate what little heat the internal components produce.

Seasonic will have 400W and 460W X-Series Fanless products in stores between the end of June and August. The 460W model should set you back $160.

• thermistor

#7…The only thing I don’t like about modular is losing the dang cables, but I guess that’s my own fault.

• Sunburn74

More fanless PSUs please.

• NeelyCam

^ This. +5

• OneArmedScissor

With those ginormous 140mm-ish fans, as long as they spin slow, I figure it may as well be there as a safety precaution, just in case it does get hot.

At 300w, 10% of power being wasted as heat would still be 30w. That’s quite a bit to just allow to sit there and build up.

Case fans may help dissipate it, but the issue I see is that people so concerned with silence that they want no fan in the PSU at all would probably not have too much going on in the case fan department.

• StandardGeek

I agree. I don’t think that I could build something with adequate performance with only passive cooling, and if I have to use active cooling, it might as well pass through the power supply.

• Kaleid

Fully agree. 30w is too much to leave in there and also there will often in many cases be other heat sources which would make it more than 30w.

• wira020

More and more 80plus gold psus now.. i think that’s great, shouldnt be long until these more efficient psus become mainstream… and non modular psus should just die… there’s almost no price differences nowadays when looking at 500W and above…

• NeelyCam

>1000W “efficient” PSUs?!! Enermax is f*cking stupid.

Seasonic looks good, though. I wonder how efficient it is at 25W…

So around 500w its most efficient. Whats bad about that?

• Farting Bob

Well unless your running high end SLI/xfire setups, its damn near impossible to ever reach 500w under real life loads. Still, some people do have multiple fermi cards and they are likely to buy 1000w+ PSU’s. Not that they’ll overly care about power efficiency, the power hungry, loud GPU’s make it basically irrelevant.

For normal (single GPU, few HDD’s and dual/quad core) you want optimal efficiency to be between 80-150w as that is where PC’s spend most of their time.

• OneArmedScissor

Eh, NeelyCam, if your computer can run off 25w, why does it need more than a power brick? I think it’s tough to do better than a cheap power brick with a $160, overkill PSU. :p

I suppose that could be a reality when all CPUs have integrated GPUs and can shut off graphics cards to use them in most cases, but we’re not /[

• Farting Bob

You can get decent performing PC’s that use less than 50w when idling/doing light work. If you dont game and just use an IGP then 25w isnt far off the mark. Of course, then youd be stupid to get a high wattage, expensive PSU. But then there isnt many options for sub 300w, high efficiency units.

• NeelyCam

That’s what I have: picoPSU and a power brick. But the overall efficiency of that combo is somewhere around 80%. And it’s a pricey proposition.

I would much rather have Seasonic make a fanless 80+ Gold PSU rated at 250W, preferably in a small form factor.

• OneArmedScissor

I hear you. Most 12v power bricks no longer make a marked difference compared to the best ATX PSUs, even if they’re a bit overpowered, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. History says the manufacturers don’t care to push them. They’re more interested in focusing their smaller scale endeavors on overpowered PSUs as an attention grabber (see above *face palm*), and it’s been that way for quite a while.

Since Pico PSUs are 12v only, it limits choices of power bricks, but there are a handful of 90% efficient 12v bricks with power handling suited to a low power desktop. I’m actually getting one, along with a different type of DC-DC adapter thinger that works with other bricks, and I’ll tell you how it goes.

• jalyst

I so want someting like this…
          I’d be prepared to go up to a higher wattage to get it, ideally no more than 500w.

This is my config, any thoughts/advice?
          §[< http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=63258#post63258<]§

• jalyst

anyone? thank-you!

• MadManOriginal

Those Seasonics are priiicey but it’s great to see someone releasing usefully sized PSUs with new high efficiency tech. (I know they are pricey partly because of the passive design, those are usually more expensive.) Hopefully they can do something similar with an actively cooled design for a more normal price.