Sharp’s 60-inch LCD features ultra-thin bezels

If you read my opus on Eyefinity, you’ll know that I think display bezels are a huge, annoying drawback for multi-monitor gaming, especially with larger numbers of monitors. The question about whether multi-monitor gaming schemes like Eyefinity will really take off comes down to whether we’ll have access to displays with thinner bezels. LCDs do require some bezel space for their electronics, so it’s not a sure thing.

However, the folks at Sharp appear to have a handle on the problem. They’ve cooked up a 60" LCD with bezel widths of 2.4 mm and 4.1 mm, which they promptly used to create a massive video wall:

Watch the video folks, but bring a drool rag.

I’m not sure what happens next, but this technology needs to move to 24" PC monitors ASAP, please. Sharp’s 60" monster is scheduled to go on sale in Japan this August, according to Akihabara News.  Put in your order for 18 now!

• shank15217

I wonder what kind of camera they used to shoot the pictures on the screen or were they all CG?

• BooTs

Did anyone else spot the dead pixel?

• indeego

No but I do see edge darkness issues on several of the displaysg{<.<}g

• Richie_G

Like the music. Oh yeah, and the screens don’t look ‘alf bad either.

• Scrotos

Um, Scott?

§[<http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/sharps-30-screen-display-features-worlds-thinnest-bezel-separa/<]§ That's from your own shortbread! Not 24" but hey...

• Damage

And I linked it in the news post. It’s about the 60″ Sharp displays.

• hapyman

I think Scrotos read that as “30 r[

• YeuEmMaiMai

lol at the lcd requires bezel spave for the electronics….no they don’t they require the bezel to hide the part of the lcd screen you cannot see, the metal encasement. all of the electrongs are behind the screen for the most part…..

• SomeOtherGeek

You know, I don’t get it… When they know that market is for gamers, they go a create a 60 incher. Ok. Whatever. These are obviously TVs and not monitors. But it is awesome nonetheless.

• kamikaziechameleon

WOW.

I just feel my wallet crying as I watch the video.

• Spotpuff

Mine ran away after screaming.

• PopcornMachine

That’s great. I’ve been waiting for thin bezels.

But why 60″, and why is the resolution only 1366 x 768?

Cost will probably be high.

Hope they produce some smaller and higher res (24″, 1920×1200) versions of this.

• ShadowTiger

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to get 1 good quality projector than all of those 60″ tvs? I assume they are at least $1000 a piece…

that being said I don’t know projector shopping info

• Farting Bob

Yea these models might not be that great, im sure they just used them because they could make a huge wall of screens to emphasize how awesome it is. Bring these bezels to 24-30″ monitors and i’ll start getting excited.
      Shouldnt be that hard for them, if anything they could make the bezels a millimeter or 2 smaller on a screen with 1/4 of the display area these models have.
      3x 30″ screens in a vertical orientation next to eachother with tiny bezels = sweeeeeeeeeet. (still way out of my pricerange, but its good to have ambitions..)

• bcronce

I had to replace projector bulbs quite often for one of my jobs. Typically they costed $150-$400 a piece and they only last about 1 year if used 2-4 hours per day. Not to mention those bulbs are rated ~1.5-2kw which means they cost $0.15-$0.20 per hour PLUS 1.5kw of heat is A LOT of heat.

I’m not a huge fan of projectors.

• Anomymous Gerbil

No, a projector wouldn’t have anything like the resolution of even a few of these things, nor the brightness – especially in daytime for shop windows, which these are presumably intended for.

• Sargent Duck

I’ll take 3 of these with a tri-Crossfire set-up please.

• Kurotetsu

According to Google, the resolution on these things is only 1366×768

§[<http://www.coolcomputing.com/article.php?sid=4008<]§ That resolution at 60-inches would look absolutely horrible sitting up close.

• khands

I don’t think you’re supposed to sit that close though.

• Farting Bob

According to those that know, youd want to be between 6 and 10 feet away from a 60″ screen. Of course, with a crappy resolution youd probably want to be nearer 10.

• alwayssts

Rule of thumb is nine feet, 47 inches for a 1080p set, correct (or something similar)? It’s what’s-his-name’s law from doing a massive survey figuring out most people’s room sizes are and combining it with the amount of detail the eye can ascertain from a from a certain size from a certain distance.

Yeah, pretty sure 60” at 1366×768 would require someone to be really far away.

That said, good on them for the non-existant bezels. This is indeed long overdue. Hopefully someone does it for 24-27” before 1920×1200 becomes extinct so more people can enjoy eyefinity without losing aspect ratio.

So is the weird thing of one monitor vs eyefinity: One 16:9 monitor has a wider aspect than a 16:10, which is good for games/movies, but in a three monitor setup turned sideways (I imagine the preferred method) 16:10 would be slightly wider than 16:9, which never hurts, while 16:9 would actually make one lose aspect ratio, which sucks.

• Kurotetsu

I figured he’d be using them as monitors since he mentioned Tri-Crossfire. You usually sit up close to a monitor.

• Arag0n

I really think thats pretty awsome for a local bar or discotech that wants to give the customers an awsome look.

• Meadows

If my life really did depend on multiple screens now, I could live with these I think.

Still, actually owning a few of these and seeing them in real life, up close on your desk, you could probably think that “it’s an improvement, /[

• khands

I still think multiple projectors are the way to go about it till they manage bezel-less monitors.