Windows 7 SP1 public beta to hit before August

Microsoft revealed a rough launch schedule for the first public beta of its initial Windows 7 service pack earlier today. According to Microsoft General Manager Gavriella Schuster, a public SP1 beta will arrive by the end of July.

The public beta will also cover Windows Server 2008 R2, which shares the same foundation (and version number: Windows NT 6.1) as Windows 7. While Schuster describes a couple of additions for the server operating system, she suggests desktop users don’t have a whole lot to look forward to in the upcoming service pack:

For Windows 7, SP1 will simply be the combination of updates already available through Windows Update and additional hotfixes based on feedback by our customers and partners. In other words, customers can feel confident about deploying Windows 7 now!

Server additions will include RemoteFX, a set of "experience enhancements to remote desktop computing," and Dynamic Memory, which will "enable Windows Server Hyper-V to dynamically allocate more or less memory to each VM as needed." We learned in March that RemoteFX will bring support for hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, full-motion video, and Silverlight animations via Remote Desktop.

• Firestarter

I was unaware that Windows 7 needed a service pack. Everyone I know who isn’t biased against Windows loves it. Even those with a bias must acknowledge that it’s the best Windows yet.

• Meadows

I use it for its slightly improved audio subsystem (based on Vista’s version that was itself an enormous step forwards compared to XP), and improved UI efficiency.

That hasn’t stopped Vista from being on my computer, and if it weren’t for those, I don’t think I’d still use W7 at all.

Let’s make everyone happy with one statement instead: version 6 and up of the Windows kernel is the best yet and it’s simply not possible to argue with /[

• flip-mode

Windows 7 does not need a service pack because people do or do not like it or are biased for or against it. The only reason for a service pack is to implement various changes to the system. These can range from additional little features, to bug fixes, security fixes, blah blah blah. I guess that the issues handled in service packs are more substantial, in one way or another, than issues handled by regular Windows updates.

• Firestarter

But that’s just it, this service pack seems to contain none of that. Nothing like SP1 for Vista, or SP1 and SP2 for XP.

• flip-mode

Well, it says “additional hot fixes”, which I though meant… additional to what is available in Windows update. Dunno.

Regardless, it’s nice to have a service pack to deploy, rather than tying up your internet line or keeping a local mirror of each and every update.

Hell, it could just be for all those IT admins that never upgrade till after the first service pack.

• Firestarter

This just goes to show that waiting for SP1 doesn’t always pay off, as nothing really needed fixing badly anyway. Having all the hotfixes clumped up in one install is nice though.

• a_non_moose

I call BS, f-m.

It does need a SP, if nothing else but for added support/drivers.

I wanted and tried to move, but the one thing I wanted to keep was my data and 7 could not/would not do it.

Why? Somewhere they fscked up the driver for my RR464 card that’s been supported from 2K (maybe NT4, too, don’t recall) to Vista in the OS.

7 can’t see it, but still corrupts the raid. Using vista drivers = 25% chance it can see it and corrupt it anyway, but allows a reformat 1 out of 7 times.
        Reformatted drive BSOD’s with a memory error during a copy (and corrupts the drive).

Might have to move the Athlon64 box to 2k3 so my C2D can be 7 (again).
        Got 4 days before summer classes start up (hummm).

• Saribro

All I need is more than 2 power plans in the battery meter popup…

• Meadows

Too late. There are a million bugs yet to be fixed.

• EsotericLord

I miss how its “too late” to fix them?

• Meadows

There remain issues that shouldn’t have been there last October.

• Krogoth

You grossly exaggerate.

There are still some stupid bugs that linger around, but nothing that causes hard crashes. XP still have a number of stupid, little issues that will never get fixed.

The reason? They are not worth the time and effort to fix.

My personal one is with MS in general. They need to start using the correct prefix for data capacity. *nix and Apple crowd has been on the ball with this.

• indeego

Not quite sure how RemoteFX will work in practice. AFAICT latency+lack of bandwidth will always be an issueg{<.<}g

• w00tstock

Just like normal remote desktop, you deselect the features you don’t have bandwidth for.

• 5150

I can only imagine people wanting to RDC home and play WoW from work.

• flip-mode

Too enthralled with Ubuntu to care right now.

Installing software with apt-get beats the poo out of hoarding exe’s and intalling on Windows!

If it weren’t for those apps that don’t run on Linux…. DAMN IT!

• sweatshopking

my techs would like that remotefx thing. damn showmypc.com is not ideal.