WSJ: RIM slate could be out by year’s end

Well, wouldn’t you know it: according to a report by the Wall Street Journal, BlackBerry maker Research In Motion is quietly developing a slate device. The Journal heard that a fresh BlackBerry handset with a slide-out keyboard and a new operating system are also in the works at the Canadian firm.

"People familiar with RIM’s plans" reportedly claim the BlackBerry slate is "in an early stage of development," although we may actually see it in stores as soon as the end of the year. Word is that you’ll be able to connect a BlackBerry handset to it in order to get cellular connectivity. That sounds like tethering—a novel approach for sure. Apple’s iPad comes in flavors with and without 3G support, and the former costs an extra $130 over the latter. (You can’t add 3G support to the Wi-Fi-only iPad, either.)

As for the phone, the WSJ reports RIM has officially disclosed plans to ship a new handset with a new OS and web browser by September 30. Sources "familiar with the device" say the OS will have multi-touch functionality, allowing users to swipe through different screens and pinch to zoom images, as well as a universal search bar a la Google’s Android.

Unfortunately, the WSJ report doesn’t say explicitly what kind of hardware or software the upcoming BlackBerry slate will have. If RIM follows in the same footsteps as Apple and runs a version of its phone software on the device, though, that could imply ARM-based guts.

• dpaus

l[

• Flatland_Spider

The Foleo was a cool idea, but Nokia’s idea that it was a phone accessory was ridiculous. The RIM slate is going to be a full-fledged computer that will use the phone as a modem instead of being an expensive terminal like the Foleo was.

• destroy.all.monsters

Looking forward to hearing more about this. Not excited by the tablet/slate thing per se but tethering, RIM’s purchase of QNX and the Blackberry UI make it interesting.

• hapyman

That new slider phone looks great. The only reason I went Tour instead of Storm was the physical keypad. If I can have both I would switch.

• dpaus

You can; it’s called a “Palm Pre”

• destroy.all.monsters

The keyboard on the Pre is not well thought of (although the Pixi’s is). Still there’s no sign that HP knows what to do with WebOS any more than Palm did especially as they’ve kept mum on any further handset development..

Palm screwed the pooch by intentionally weakening the Pixi and aiming it at the low end instead of skimming away potential Blackberry defectors.

I sincerely doubt that the 9800 will have a poor keyboard.

• eitje

pearl 9100, please.

• Corrado

Here’s the problem. They never really got 5.0 working right. What makes anyone think that 6.0 is gonna be any different? 5.0 was a bloated memory leaking mess. I had to do a battery pull on my Storm and my Tour usually once every 2 days and wait the LITERALLY 8 minutes for it to reboot.

• BooTs

Sounds interesting to me. I just hope I can talk my boss in to upgrading my Blackberry. Mine is looking more and more dull these days.

• Philldoe

The phone they are talking about will be the new Bold 9800 Slider running the new OS 6.0