Need for Speed returns to Hot Pursuit

All sorts of new hotness is being demoed at E3 this week, and an unexpected addition to the Need for Speed franchise looks very interesting indeed. Billed as a return to the series’ roots, a new version of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is on the way. 1998’s Need for Speed III was the first in the series to bear the Hot Pursuit name, which was last resurrected back in 2002. High-speed cop chases have been featured in the series from the very beginning, though.  For some of us, they’ve been the best part.

This latest iteration is being developed by Criterion games, which is best known for the Burnout series. Given that background, we can probably expect the new Hot Pursuit to be more of an arcade racer than a hardcore simulation. Criterion says the game will offer a full single-player campaign that allows folks to play as racers, cops, or a little of both. Up to eight players will be able to link up online for multiplayer mayhem, as well.

According to EA, Hot Pursuit will be reborn on November 16. As one might expect, the game will be available for the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. Shacknews’ coverage also mentions a PC version, which would only make sense given the franchise’s history.

• DrCR

AWFUL for a car geek. There was so much in that vid that was just so wrong I don’t know where to start. :\

Kind of reminds me of some of those photos on the cover of chess sets. Like whoever took the pic clearly had no clue what the different did or where they are initially setup.

I need a car fix… only 10 days!

• agawtrip

been there done that??
    criterion should make this unique arcade racing

• The Dark One

Cruising around in Hot Pursuit II with my 360 Modena was great fun. I haven’t played a NFS title since they went all /[

• SomeOtherGeek

Oh damn! That was NICE! Me getting.

The PC version not coming out at the same time as the 360 release just shows us the sad state of play when you consider just how much harder it is to code the PS3 version. Clearly lots of money has been pushed EA’s way to keep NFS as a console exclusive.

Given that the NFS franchise was born on PC it irks me somewhat that all those shiny graphics new graphics cards will have to wait a little longer for a version that actually looks good (we have to hope it’s not a typical sloppy console port)

Don’t get me wrong, the video is nice but there is no way in hell that that is anything like the in-game experience will be – the 360 and the PS3 simply can’t push that much geometry and effects in realtime. Maybe the 5870 or a 480 have a better chance?

• 5150

BRING BACK MADDEN TO THE PC GAWDAMMIT!

• BKA

Agreed,tired of updating the roster in 08.

• geekl33tgamer

That looks excellent, and Criterion know how to make a game like this, esp if the Burnout series has been anything to go by…

Have EA binned that PC only MMO they were planning to release later this year then if this is coming out?

• quarantined

About effing time another Hot Pursuit came out.

• Firestarter

I’ve had so much fun playing Hot Pursuit with my brother, I hope they don’t mess this up

• BehemothJackal

I liked the direction EA took with last year’s NFS: Shift. To see them do yet another Hot Pursuit is odd. Old reliable eh? Personally I’d like to see the return of “High Stakes.”

Having Criterion develop is a good choice. Gotta give credit where it’s due.

• crazybus

I figured when it was announced that Criterion was doing a new NFS game that it would be a new Hot Pursuit. I have fairly high expectations of this one.

• BKA

Me too. After the great job they did with Burnout Paradise for the PC, I’m looking forward to this one.

• willyolio

i’d like to work in a police unit that had veyrons and murcielagos as patrol cars. holy crap.

• wira020

Captain Chase maybe?

• Jigar

Just saw the video, dam that was good… I am sure i am having it. Old school race.

• swaaye

Bring back Rom di Prisco and Saki Kaskas for the soundtrack.

• Jigar

Agreed, i still have their music as my ringtone

• sweatshopking