Crysis 2 to have multi-platform 3D support

If stereoscopic 3D isn’t the future, the entertainment and hardware industries are certainly trying their hardest to make it so. During the Electronics Arts press conference at E3 today, Crytek announced that Crysis 2, its upcoming multi-platform shooter, will enable stereoscopic 3D graphics on PCs and consoles alike.

Crytek’s press release includes a statement by CEO Cevat Yerli, who claims Crysis 2 will be the "the first big action game to be available in true stereoscopic 3D." He adds, "The 3D experience represents a quantum leap in interactive entertainment. With all of the same story and action seen in the 2D version of the game, the 3D version adds another dimension of intensity and immersion to the action."

3D support will be available for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, although in all three cases, you’ll need to get either a compatible display, some stereoscopic goggles, or both to enjoy stereoscopic graphics. PC users may have to invest in a hardware upgrade, too; when we tested Nvidia’s 3D Vision technology, we noticed that enabling 3D induced some pretty major frame rate drops.

Crysis 2 is still scheduled for a multi-platform release "this holiday season." The game will be set in New York City amidst an alien invasion.

• shank15217

For all you “no 3D glasses” 3D users out there, there isn’t anything remotely close to bringing real time 3D effects without glasses.

• SHOES

dev to marketing hmm seems our game isn’t going to fuel any PC upgrades this time, so no perks from the hardware vendors :(.. Marketing to devs what if we could double the workload by running the game in 3d? BRILLIANT!

• willyolio

Crysis 3DS. you heard it here first.

• JrezIN

I just want to know what kind of “generic” stereo for every plataform is that gona be? ColorCode (Cyan and Amber glasses)? TrioViz (something like that… with Red and Green glasses)? standard red&blue optimized (perhaps with Dubois or something similar)? anything else?

Because, you know, each of these technologies/algorithms have advantages and disadvantages…

• Cannyone

Pure “hype”, plain and simple. Now when they make so I can afford a ultra super high resolution screen the size of one of my walls – that also does 3D without shutter glasses – I’ll perk up and take interest! Until then the only response they’ll ever get is a chuckle at the idiots in said glasses. Oh and my eyes will roll when I hear the dorks try to tell me how “cool” it is…

• burntham77

I just want a 30 inch monitor with that nice higher than HD resolution for less than 1300 dollars. They’re so pricey!

I thought the Dell 30″ monitors routinely dip under $1000?

• Sargent Duck

Do I have to wear glasses? Fail.

Went to go see a movie the other day in 3D. Glasses totally ruined it for me, and I spent 80% of the movie watching in 2D.

No way I’m gonna sit in front of my monitor wearing glasses…

• ClickClick5

…just so the tree looks 3D!!!!!

All this talk makes me feel all Wolfenstein 3D-ish!
      Hello 1990s!

• BiffStroganoffsky

Get all your 3D…at the nudie bar. (thanks for the memories Al)

• henfactor

Err, if the current consoles can’t handle 1080p with decent looking games, howtheheck will they deal with 3D 1080p WITH eye candy?

And just to hazard a guess at my own question, lower resolution + less eye candy + lame 3D.

Gotta love technological advancement!

• SecretMaster

If Crysis 2 runs anything like the original Crysis, I think enabling 3D will cause a computer to explode.

• khands

It’s running an engine built for consoles, so it won’t be quite as pretty, but it should be much faster.

• marvelous

Sounds like marketing sham to me. Another check list for wanna be cool factor. Nobody has 3d glasses and only a handful have compatible 120hz displays.

• ClickClick5

Hum. Playing it in “2D” with my 1680×1050 screen (as I did Crysis), will suit me just fine. This while 3D hype is, just….well it is boring. After like two hours of it, I’m bored. Any-who, until something comes along that mimics Tron, I’ll keep going with what I have, and prefer.

EDIT: The word “immersion” gets thrown around nowadays like the word “love”.

“The game is simply amazing! It is in full STEREO 3D and it immerses you into amazingly amazing gameplay!” *yawn*

• indeego