iPhone 4 pre-orders hit 600,000 on first day

Scott touched on this in his Etc. post, but it’s worth highlighting. Apple started taking pre-orders for the iPhone 4 yesterday, and as it turns out, the company’s approval system broke down under the strain of a whopping 600,000 pre-orders.

Apple sent out a press release to explain the situation, boasting in part, "It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated." AT&T said in a separate announcement, "iPhone 4 pre-order sales yesterday were 10-times higher than the first day of pre-ordering for the iPhone 3G S last year."

Because of yesterday’s hijinks and "current expectations for . . . iPhone 4 inventory levels," AT&T has opted to suspend pre-orders until the iPhone 4 becomes available on June 24. The carrier suggests it wouldn’t be able to fulfill existing orders otherwise. Pre-orders might resume if AT&T manages to secure additional inventory, though.

What’s 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders? In the first quarter of last year, when all iPhones still sold for $199 and up (just like the iPhone 4), Apple managed to ship 3.79 million of the devices. Last quarter, shipments of all iPhones $99 and up totaled 8.75 million. Selling 600,000 $199-299 devices in one day certainly bodes well for the Mac maker.

• fantastic

I was just at an AT&T wireless store. There were 3 people in the store spending money and 3 people selling crap. Good ratio for me. No waiting.

No iPhone though. I’m not going to be one of those “people”. 😉 No offense. Some of my friends lust after and own the electric fruit.

• indeego

Kinda puts the piddly mac sales in perspective. Apple found its groove, and it’s in selling subsidized hardware under $500. Who’da thunk that Apple selling products below $500 would bring them ultimate success?

OSX on the laptop/desktop side is probably a dead-end mobile wise as a revenue source for them within 5 years. Why bother with a market that is stagnant compared to the rest of the marketg{

• End User

And glynor then pointed out how well Mac sales are doing.

• WaltC

And then WaltC said pretty much exactly the same thing that indeego said above…;)

• strikeleader

All I can say is…Baa Baa

Nothing but sheep.

• DrDillyBar

And I tried So hard until now;

• link626

there’s just no stopping the Apple train, is there….

apple can sell a dried piece of dung, and there will be 666666 preorders.
    They’ve got brand loyalty on lockdown

good for stocks though, i guess.

Wall street loves AAPL, 100%+ stock price increase over one of the worst financial periods in history? SEC better start looking into things.

• MadManOriginal

AAPl is far from being the only ticker with such hefty increases even if you ignore the ‘scary’ sectors like banking and finance.

I get most of my financial news from CNBC, and they LOVE AAPL.

• MadManOriginal

No doubt, everyone loves AAPL, I’m just saying that the run they’ve had from $100-250, while great, isn’t uncommon when looking at the last 12-18 months.

• End User

Awesome products sell. It is an easy formula.

• shank15217

not always and iphone 4 isn’t breaking any new grounds.

• poulpy

q[

• End User

I wish we had more high end Android devices up here in Canada. I’m with Rogers and they don’t have anything decent as far as Android goes.

• glynor

Show me another handset with a 960×640 IPS display with a pixel density greater than 300dpi. It is the only major phone platform (other than the Nokia N8 which isn’t out yet and won’t be shipping until Q3) with a Pentaband HSPA radio. The video recording is 720p at 30fps, and it has a full six-axis gyroscope. There’s more than a few “new grounds” for you.

It is certainly not perfect in every way, and will eventually be eclipsed by other handsets. In typical Apple fashion, they don’t always play the “statistics game” but focus on making the features they do include work really, really well. And, of course, it does have all the limitations (and benefits) of using iOS. But for now, the other handset makers are absolutely playing catch-up again in many, many ways.

• BiffStroganoffsky

More overtime…wheeee! Somewhere in China, a factory worker mulls the thought of jumping.

• Coran Fixx

Kinda what I thought, but in fairness I don’t know of any cell phone made in Detroit by union labor (now only $9000)

• Firestarter

Why are you quoting $100 to $300 for the iPhone? That may be what you pay for one with a AT&T contract but it sure is not what they cost!

• demani

Enough with that crap. Cell service for 450 minutes costs me the same no matter what phone I have. So that can’t be part of the cost comparison (or else that free phone wouldn’t be free either, right?).

And smartphones take a data plan (good luck finding a major vendor who doesn’t make that requirement).

Sheesh.

• yokem55

Define “major”. There are a few Verizon based MVNO’s that allow you to use your own Verizion device, smart, dumb, or “3g Multimedia”, and not be required to pay $360/year for “unlimited” data service. So, you can use Verizon’s network, most Verizon phones (oddly the cheap pre-paid InPulse ones are pretty much the only ones that won’t work period), and save quite a bundle on voice and text service. Granted the customer service with these companies is crap, but hey, you are paying next to nothing for service.

• Jambe

Ugh, no Verizon, no sell (damn you, Steve). I’m just a stickler there given the way AT&T has treated me in the past (ntm the technical reasons).

Thing’s sexy, though. I’ll be curious to see whether Google or Apple ship more phones next quarter. If Q1 was any indicator Q2 will go to Android, right? And probably 3 as well. But 4 will be interesting.

Even though I’m rooting for Google in this, I want Apple to do wonderfully. Competition = winsauce.

• glynor

There will be a Verizon version. The only question is whether Apple will actually do a CDMA version later this year, or wait for LTE (which might mean it’ll happen next year, but 2012 is more likely).

I don’t know… With all the stuff that’s been happening with AT&T and the things Jobs said at D8, I’m thinking it might just be the former.

• leor

this happens every year with AT&T, when are they going to learn to be ready for these launches?

• eitje

why worry?

people will buy the product no matter how shitty the experience is in purchasing it.

• WaltC

It certainly does bode well for the /[

• glynor

Well, according to the Q2 results released on April 20th, Apple actually managed to sell 2.94 million Macs in the quarter, which represented a 33% increase over the same quarter last year (and that was largely before the latest laptop refresh took effect). So I think they’re doing pretty okay on the Mac sales front as well.

• cygnus1

Yeah, I finally bought myself a mac mini yesterday. Got the previous gen $799 model for $699 because of the newly released version. the main reason i bought it is that the os X version of itunes really is much less frustrating to use than the windows version.

• OffBa1ance

Itunes runs just fine on my $270 ZinoHD?

• cygnus1

Just fine to you may be infuriatingly slow and painful to me. When you have several thousand songs and smart playlists and several podcasts and god knows what else in it, it will be slow and it will have random issues. I even went so far as to run itunes in a VM as the only thing installed, passing my iphone through to it. Same result. iTunes on windows is a pile of shit when used in any kind of in depth manner.

• glynor

Agreed. With my library, iTunes is *[

• cygnus1

The way I look at it, I bought the mac mini to keep apple’s craptastic windows software off my real computers

• glynor

Worth. Every. Penny.

• cygnus1

Sad thing is though, my HP laptop (amd based dm3) i bought last year has the mac mini beat or matched on everything except the cpu, but only cost me $550. The price apple is charging for the brand new one that came out yesterday is pretty egregious. If they hadn’t knocked $100 off the one i got, i probly wouldn’t have bothered.

• WaltC

Certainly that’s true…and actually I’m glad to see Apple’s Mac sales increasing along with the rest of the market. But 2.94M Macs in a quarter isn’t close to 8.75M iPhones sold in a quarter, and if you break down Apple’s revenue and profits, Apple rakes in far more from the sale of its i-devices than it does from the sale of its Macs. From the point of view of Apple’s fiscal health, the Mac has become a sideline within Apple where once it was the whole enchilada.

I suppose that what baffles me is the habit of many tech journalists to lump the Mac and all of Apple’s much-more-profitable i-devices into the same pot, as if there was no difference between selling iPhones and selling Macs. I think there is a profound difference, and I don’t think this difference is covered nearly so much as it ought to be. I mean, if you look at Apple publicity these days, it’s running at about 95% i-devices and 5% Mac.

I mean, is the Mac “perfect” and non-improvable just because Apple has so much success selling its i-devices? I don’t think so, and so I think Mac coverage suffers in more than one way because people are wrongly pegging the fate of the Mac with the fate of Apple’s i-devices.

Hopefully, I’m clear on this…;)

• cygnus1

meh, not enough of an upgrade over my 32GB 3GS. I’ll wait for next year’s model to be 64GB and hopefully 4G network capable.

• tay

That screen is very nice cygnus1. I too got my 3GS last year so I sadly cant upgrade till next years model. 4G isn’t that useful for my uses. An improved screen and camera and battery life I’ll take.

• cygnus1

I guess I got my 3gs at the right time, at&t said i can do the upgrade with an $18 fee. But since they didn’t up the capacity, I just can’t justify in my mid over $350 ($299 +$18 +taxes and other fees) for a new phone with so few enhancements over what I have. A better screen, camera, battery and gyroscope just aren’t worth that to me. For that price, I’d want something with 64GB of storage and 4G capable, and I’ll wager that’s what they’ll have for me next year.

• jdaven

Shipping times just slipped again to July 14th. At this rate, by the time supply catches up with demand, it will be next year.

• glynor

I gotta agree with the folks over at Engadget. Apple probably won’t release a 4G capable phone until their 2012 refresh. They’ve been pretty conservative on the new network tech with their phones so far, and 4G won’t have any kind of market penetration at all until 2012 (when Verizon claims they’ll be overlaying their full 3G network with LTE – I’ll believe it when I see it).

Plus, with the battery life costs we’ve been seeing in 4G mode on the EVO, I wouldn’t hold my breath for Apple to jump on that bandwagon any time soon. Battery life is pretty much king in their eyes.

That said, if I had a 3GS phone I wouldn’t go with this generation at all either. I have a 16GB 3G, which is really feeling slow and long-in-the-tooth, so I ordered myself a 32GB one. My wife has a 3GS though, and she’s going to stick with it until next time around (and then we’ll evaluate the state of iOS vs. Android once again).

• Helmore

You mean to say 2013. That’s when Verizon’s LTE coverage will be the same or bigger than its current 3G coverage.
        §[< http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/06/15/vzw-lte-webcast/<]§

• glynor

Yeah, I guess so. They were quoting 2012 on the latest Engadget Mobile podcast, but I guess they got their years wrong.

That makes me think a CDMA iPhone might be marginally more likely. I would speculate that Apple won’t be likely to roll out a LTE phone until Verizon’s LTE coverage is at-least as penetrated as AT&T was with 3G when they released the iPhone 3G.

• travbrad

Yeah 32GB really isn’t even acceptable to me let alone 16GB, on a device that is meant to play a lot of music and videos. My music collection alone is over 64GB, and video takes a lot more space than audio on top of that.

If I can’t store my whole music collection + videos then why bother? I’ll still have to carry around a mp3 player separately, unless I want to take a step back in technology to the days where I had to pick and choose which mp3 filled CD-Rs to bring with me (or even CDs/cassettes before that). This is a problem with all “smartphones” though, not just iPhone. I guess Rhapsody (or similar) would be an option, but I know for a fact they don’t have at least 1/3rd of my music collection, not to mention that’s just another monthly fee.

P.S. I know they can do a lot of other stuff, but I don’t really have much interest in games or browsing the web on a tiny screen (apart from very brief things like checking weather/email/etc). My primary use for a smartphone would be as a music/video player, then as a phone, then everything else.

• phez

Please for GSM Droid Incredible. Please please please please please.

• yokem55

Sure, its called the Nexus One. The hardware is nearly identical. Now if you want the HTC SenseUI, then you’ll want to see if you can import an unlocked HTC Desire or wait a few months for it to come into the North American market.