Medal of Honor public beta kicks off for the PC

That didn’t take very long. Six months after unveiling a trailer for a new Medal of Honor game, Electronic Arts has kicked off a public multiplayer beta for the PC and PlayStation 3, as Shacknews reports.

The PC beta looks like a relatively light—by today’s standards—735MB download. You’ll find it hosted at FileShack, although EA says beta keys are only "available at participating retailers as a reward for pre-ordering Medal of Honor." Once you’ve pre-ordered and gotten a beta redemption key, you’ll need to head to this page and sign in using an EA Account to get an actual beta key. Then, you have to hand over a photocopy of your driver’s license and your social security number.

According to the beta information page, players get to fight as either coalition or insurgent forces in two multiplayer maps: one set in Iraq, the other in Afghanistan. Yes, the new Medal of Honor follows in the footsteps of the Call of Duty and Battlefield series by shifting from a World War II setting to a modern-day one. How original! At least, it doesn’t look like the Russians invade in this one. The full game should be out on October 12.

• Bensam123

Hai gais, guess what?!?!

I heard this other company that makes similar games decided to take a risk and change their setting and they made lots of monies. I bet if we do the same thing, WE WILL ALSO MAKE LOTS OF MONIES!

Seriously developers are so fing retarded now days. All they’re doing is going after the success of another company, they’re chasing each others trails and waiting for the p2p pirate boogie man to steal their ‘success’.

How about a nice sci-fi shooter? When was the last time a good multiplayer Sci-fi shooter came out? Honestly UT stuff never caught my interest and Quake 4 sucked. You know a GOOD sci-fi shooter. We haven’t had one of those in years.

BF:BC2 was delightfully different only because they actually implemented physics in a way that effects game mechanics. WOAW, I know, gamers might actually want something different that’s cool.

• rhysl

Basically you have to pay ie hand over your visa details to steam to get the beta ?! How rude .. they can shove it up where the sun dont shine !

• Aphasia

So, am I the only one that actually likes MoH and think it has potential.

And people, it’s still a beta. So it will probably have quite a few changes before release, not to mention alot of weapong balancing. BC2 still has balancing at its third patch after release.

And yes, the devs actually said they had toned down the destructability alot because a grenade just doesnt take out a whole side of a building, etc. And that BC2 is over the top. And it is, even though it is great fun. Although the splashdamage from explosives are perhaps too toned down. I also saw somewhere that terrain/map destruction wasnt even enabled yet.

It’s still a beta, and the friend-joinging and key-bindings are really fracked up. What the game has going for it is the cross of easier to take CS/MW style gaming, but without the narrow maps of MW. In some ways more tactical, enough reality and alot less of the total overpowered kill-streak spamming that MW2 has. Once playing, it seems to be quite abit more stable than the BC2 beta ever was.

I like the weapons, although the autos are laser canons. What i both like and dislike about the snipers it that they are only one shot kills to the head, and takes at least two hits to the body unless the enemy is already hurt. While I dont always like two hit kills, it will cut down on the total camping factor abit. Especially since you can countersnipe with the automatics. And the starting sniper should be treated like a semi-auto assault rifle, which is good.

Yeah, some more game modes, some polish, and more maps and it will be a good game.

• lilbuddhaman

The game is bad. Like CampinCarl said, non-destructible environment.

I would much rather see a MAP PACK for BFBC2. instead we get a “Vietnam expansion”, which boils down to a map pack that happens to cost twice as much.

MoH plays like a very stiff MW2, and the weapon balance is nonexistent. Character/Player models have bad animations. The one map that is playable in MP is nice and pretty, but isn’t very interesting design wise / strategically nor would I call it a good map for MP in generally.

• Joerdgs

Bad Company 2 without the destruction and in a Modern Warfare setting. You’d think people would’ve seen it by now, the whole running around in circles shooting other people running around in circles.

• ironoutsider

I’ve been running in circles since Duke 3d 🙂 I’ve never gotten bored of it! In fact! I think I”ve pretty much run circles in every FPS created since then, because thats what I DO! Man! people be calling me the Donut! I’m all like, eat the donut man! I can’t wait to run circles in this game too. It will be another grandly satisfying achievement in my vast library of personal victories!

• kamikaziechameleon

Wonder if you can get this without a preorder?

• CampinCarl

It’s pretty boring overall. Non-destructible environments is pretty lame considering they built it on the Frostbite engine.

• 5150

BRING BACK MADDEN TO THE PC!

• Farting Bob

Why?

• 5150

The ability to create all kinds of rosters, custom playbooks, tons of mods, better graphics (potentially). Plus I don’t have a console besides the Wii and Madden is terrible on it.

madden mmo? like fantasy football but more interactive?