150 million Windows 7 licenses sold to date

Within weeks of Windows 7’s launch, it became clear that the new OS was already quite a bit more popular than Vista. That popularity hasn’t petered out. Microsoft’s Brandon LeBlanc updated the Blogging Windows, er, blog yesterday with news that, to date, a whopping 150 million Windows 7 licenses have been sold.

LeBlanc puts that figure in perspective, noting that Microsoft has sold a little over seven copies of Windows 7 every second since the launch. Windows 7 came out in stores on October 22, or about 244 days ago, so that number appears to check out—and it purportedly means Windows 7 is now "the fastest selling operating system in history." (Then again, the blogger doesn’t say if he’s counting pre-orders and those free Windows 7 upgrade coupons as post-launch sales or not.)

LeBlanc adds that Windows 7 is also proving popular among business customers. He writes, "Approximately 75% of enterprises are looking at Windows 7 for their organization."

I think that last number isn’t so much a testament to Windows 7’s qualities as a reflection of Vista’s negative traits, not to mention enterprise upgrade cycles. Many businesses simply chose to skip Vista and hold on to XP until the next Windows release. With XP support in its last throes, those organizations would be foolish not to at least consider an upgrade to Windows 7.

• PenGun

I run Linux for most things but have to install a windows to play games.

Win 7 is the first windows OS since NT 3.51 to not seriously upset me.

• blitzy

i run a crap ton of virtual machines at work, between vista and 7 the main difference is the taskbar ui (boot time, action center, memory management are the only other real significant diffs and theyre very minor changes)

vista was never that bad, and in fact w7 is only a slight improvement over vista.

it is retarded to say vista is bad, and then say w7 is good because they’re so similar.

• indeego

7 owes its success to Vista. I doubt Microsoft would have released 7 in the state it did without Vista’s crappy release.

7 certainly owes its driver stability to Vista, but it also owes 64-bit and driver signing as a tickmark as well.

All in all you can’t praise 7 over Vista too much because they are very closely related.

Also I think all Vista’s bad rap is almost entirely from the first year of Vista’s release. After the first SP and Driver releases, it was as decent as 7’s Gold release (IMO.)

Where I work we never could get printing working as perfectly as we had it on XP so it was never rolled out beyond a basic trialg{<.<}g

• packfan_dave

Vista’s bad rap was about 25% due to issues that were ironed out by SP1, 45% due to the Apple-led misleading marketing campaigns of Microsoft’s competitors, 25% due to the overly long gap between XP and Vista creating the impression that XP would be around forever (I suspect with 20/20 hindsight, MS wishes they’d just thrown together a purely cosmetic UI refresh on XP SP2, renamed it, and released it in 2003/2004 just to keep people in the habit of upgrading), and 5% due to actual problems that exist in post-SP1 Vista.

• Fighterpilot

Which is what a few of us were saying all along…..maybe a link to the W7/Vista hater threads is in order….
        You forgot however the large percentage of so called geeks that were so damn /[

• pedro

The (unprecedented) lengthy public beta didn’t hurt too much either.

• Sahrin

…The beta for NT6 was about 6 months longer than the beta for NT6.1 So I guess by “unprecedented” you mean “precedented by the release immediately preceding it” then yes, the NT6.1 beta was unprecedented.

• pedro

Really? How long was the public beta period for Vista? And who was the ‘public’? And if it was that much longer, then how come it sucked so hard on release?

Genuine questions, not trolling.

• Sahrin

Well, it didn’t suck. It wasn’t well received, but I think that had more to do with people fearing and resisting change than the quality of the product. Ultimately it didn’t really matter how long MS kept it in beta – lazy vendors were not going to write good drivers (if nVidia took a full year to write a working (ie, not blue-screen) video driver – imagine how apathetic random printer company X was), and users were going to complain about UAC.

NT6.0 was in public beta (that is, released to the public and available for official download from MS) from July 2005 to November 2006/January 2007 (I used November, but the OS didn’t technically release until January 2007 – RTM was in November); by my count that is 16 months. NT6.1 was in beta from January 2009 to July 2009 (6-7 months by my count).

• thermistor

As a Vista and XP user on ye olde home network, I feel like the tackle dummy on Vista that made 7 so much better upon release.

I had to wait around for drivers forever, etc., while 7 users could download proven/tested drivers starting day 1.

But I think I’m gonna get me one of those Technet subscriptions and ‘do’ the whole home network upgrade to 7 at some point…maybe next year.

• Meadows

I actually have gear that doesn’t (fully) work with W7 while it has working Vista drivers. I still haven’t figured that out, the company stopped responding to my e-mails and haven’t publicly updated their drivers in a long while now.

Maybe they’re all dead, or maybe they’re just that stupid.

• dpaus

I’d love for the European Union to follow-up their “browser ballot” ruling with an “OS ballot” screen: when a user first turns on their new PC, they are given the option of installing Linux or Chrome, etc (for free) or Windows, for an additional amount, billed to their credit card. Many people would choose to install (and pay for) Windows, and that’s fine. But it would be very interesting to see how many would opt for free Linux instead.

• CampinCarl

The Linux ISO would almost certainly need to have an option for “Oh my god, I didn’t want this at all, give me Windows”. Otherwise, support lines would be overflowing.

• liquidsquid

As well as include a link when installing Linux to purchase a 2nd laptop or PC with an OS pre-installed so you can get to support documentation or ask a question.

• indeego

It all comes down to support. OEM’s don’t want to pay for support, amongst their biggest expenses, so offering Chrome as an option is unlikely until it matures.

I’m curious how Google will manage this since their support has been horrific in my experienceg{<.<}g

• mcnabney

Businesses upgrade/purchase new equipment when they have a valid need for it. It has to actually offer some specific benefits beyond being ‘new’. Just because Dell makes a new 24″ 1080p monitor does not mean you run out and replace your old Dell 24″ 1080p monitor. There actually has to be a reason.
    My business, about 100k employees, uses XP for the desktop and I don’t see a move to 7 anytime soon. The OS is just the platform and I KNOW there are applications that we use that they could never get running on Vista. Why break working apps when even the remote management / deployment improvements are marginal?

• UberGerbil

Most businesses /[

• ModernPrimitive

I love Windows 7 much more than Vista and Vista never gave me any grief other than the annoying indexing/hdd cranking

• Sargent Duck

I enjoyed Vista, never had any problems with it. Of course, that didn’t stop me from getting my Win7 pre-order when they had that sale going on…

• anotherengineer

150 million x $100 for home ed = lots of cash

of course its even higher than that due to teh price of retail versions and pro and ult editions.

I just put an old PC together, and will be popping my linux cherry soon, see how ubuntu is.

• wobbles-grogan

Tis fantastic!

Ubuntu 10.04 runs really well on low-speced, old machines. 512 RAM is more than enough for it.

• Jon T

Educational / 3rd world licences are less, much less.

• UberGerbil

So is the amount the OEMs pay for their versions, and that represents the largest chunk of sales. Business volume licenses are quite a bit off list as well (though they are more likely to have “Pro”) and you can be sure Microsoft is counting every one of those, even if not all the client installs authorized by the licenses have actually been used.

• SLI_Fallen

Sigh.

Windows 7 *IS* Vista….. Vista “SP3″ (essentially.)

And here is your proof. A chronology:

We start with Windows 3.1-V 3.1 (duh) lol.
    Next (major) Version: Windows 95 -V4
    ” ” ” : Windows XP -V5
    ” ” ” : Windows Vista -V6
    Now, with Windows 7 you must be thinking that is V-7 right? WRONG!
    Windows 7 Is V-6.1 HA!!

Feel free to try this yourself on any windows box you have (with these OS’s) Open a command window and type “winver” and press enter…

Microsoft knew that Vista’s reputation was tarnished, so they just (essentially) wrapped a new kernel around Vista and a couple of tweaks and Wala! new OS…with a new name. After SP1, Vista was significantly better..but the damage was already done. (apparently people have a short memory. Windows XP was a complete and total PIG when it launched but I digress)

Way to go MS!