Launch roundup: Cooler Master, Crucial, Shuttle, Western Digital

Welcome to the second iteration of our weekly launch roundup feature. This time, we bring you news of a Cooler Master heatsink, a Crucial SSD, a Shuttle barebones PC, and a mobile hard drive from WD.

In case you missed the first roundup, here’s the deal: as hard as we try, we don’t always have the time or energy to cover every new product launch in depth. But that doesn’t mean items that fall through the cracks aren’t interesting or noteworthy. Thanks to these roundups, we can maintain our rigorous benchmarking and review-writing regimen while broadening our news coverage.

• Shuttle X350 slim PC pushes performance limits. This little nettop features a dual-core Atom D510 processor and second-generation Nvidia Ion graphics, all in a cool-looking, 1.5"-thick enclosure with a slot-loading DVD drive. Neat! We got to see a pre-release model at Computex, but Shuttle says the final version will actually become available this week.
  • Western Digital’s Scorpio Black 500GB. The 2.5" Scorpio Black hard drive family lacked a 500GB offering for a long time, but no longer. The 500GB Scorpio Black has dual 250GB platters, a 7,200-RPM spindle speed, 16MB of cache, a five-year warranty, and a $99.99 price tag.
  • All-New 2010 V6 CPU Heatsink from Cooler Master. We’re actually seeing two announcements from Cooler Master: one about the V6, which we’ve linked here, and the other about the V6 GT, which hit our inbox earlier today. Both of these coolers look similar—with heat pipes, a shrouded tower-style heatsink with slightly angled fins, and room for dual 120-mm fans. As far as we can tell, the only difference is that the V6 has a regular copper base, while the V6 GT has an "electroplated" copper base.

That’s all, folks. See you next week with more new product releases.

• codedivine

Thats quite a significant reduction in the price per GB for the real ssd!

• srg86

These nettops are all well and good, but when on earth are we going to see mini-itx motherboards with next gen ion? That is what I’m waiting for to put in my own nettop.

• OffBa1ance

Launch roundup rocks my party, liking the new addition

• bthylafh

That Shuttle looks interesting. I hope the price is reasonable.

• ssidbroadcast

Yeah, and slot-loading ftw. Good job, shuttle.

• eitje

note: that is not slot-loading in the image.

• Xenolith

$300 US for the Ion version. I would call that very reasonable. Fanless. I’m getting one. I hope it does come out this week.

• bthylafh

Not too shabby. I wonder how good of a DVR that’d make with a USB tuner.

• Shinare

Is the ION graphics really worth the $100 price premium over the GMA 3150 version of this computer at $199?

• bthylafh

Emulators. I wouldn’t just use this for a DVR.

• eitje

I think the USB tuner would take a lot of CPU. You’d probably be in a situation where you’d be able to watch or record, but not both.

• UberGerbil

So just use something like an HDHomeRun

• bthylafh

That looks interesting.

• tanker27

Not likely Shuttle likes premium prices

• ModernPrimitive

Looks like the back of the Sprint Touch Pro2

• Skrying

I find the theme of the Cooler Master heatsink silly. I mean really… you’re going to try to make the top of it look like some kind of car engine? It’s scary how bad “enthusiast” computer components look most of the time. I wish these companies would take a more high end home theater approach. Sleek lines, brushed surfaces, kind of stealth like.

• OneArmedScissor

And not call attention to the fact that you spent so much money on something completely frivolous?

I bet you want people to stop putting spoilers on their Civics, too.

• Skrying

I’m not even sure how to respond to this. It’s completely pointless. By your wording every time I’ve spent money on something not essential to keeping me alive is frivolous.

My point wasn’t about the money. It was about how cheap an expensive component looks. The same could be said for numerous after market car modifications. Though some look good and I’m sure make their owners happy. But with regard to the Cooler Master heatsink and the market in general it’s a general observation. There’s hardly any choice for someone who wants all the features in a good gaming case but without the ridiculous looks.

• NeelyCam

Is your case transparent?

If yes, then your case already looks ridiculous.
          If no, then why do you care what your heatsink assembly looks like?

• Skrying

No my case isn’t transparent. I still care about aesthetics. Clearly the manufacturers do as well or else they wouldn’t make it a point of catering to the gamer stereotype so hard.

• OneArmedScissor

Eh…who else would they be catering to with a tower heatsink from hell with two fans on it?

• Skrying

A gamer or enthusiast. That doesn’t mean every gamer/enthusiast wants his components to look like they were designed for a 14 year old boy.

• OneArmedScissor

Lol wow. Hook, line, and sinker!

• MadManOriginal

Yes, there should be no variety and all manufacturers should make components that are otherwise practically the same anyway like heatsinks also have similar aesthetics, bonus points if they all adhere to your personal taste.

Or we could be glad that there is a wide variety. hmm, hard choice there.

• wira020

You mean make it more Apple-ish??..

• Skrying

In terms of looks… yes. I wouldn’t mind more enthusiast/gamer components taking that approach. There’s a growing number of examples in the laptop market where manufacturers have taken hints from Apple in terms of looks and came up with vastly superior looking products than they had previously.

This one is a TEENY overdone, but IMO the Shuttle Atom box is far more an offender. I don’t mind the look of the V6, though personally I have something more understated.

• UberGerbil

This whole line of complaint is actually pretty funny. Aftermarket heatsinks sell only to enthusiasts, which is a small market. Some of those people care only about (objective) performance. Some care about (subjective) aesthetics. Since the latter is purely an expression of personal taste, which varies, naturally you’ve got a variety of offerings that appeal to some and not to others. And ultimately any complaint in that regard is one tiny sub-niche of a niche complaining about another sub-niche of a niche.

Nice little tempest you’ve got going there in your teapot.