Trailer shows three minutes of Portal 2 gameplay

We got to feast our eyes on plenty of Portal 2 media while E3 was in full swing earlier this month. Valve isn’t done showing off the upcoming first-person action puzzle game, though. Shacknews has posted a brand-new video that shows about three minutes of Portal 2 gameplay.

The trailer, available in HD format at Shackvideo, reveals a character that wasn’t in the first game: a playful, friendly, but somewhat dim artificial intelligence with a cheesy English accent. Near the end of the trailer, the player and this AI sidekick meet GLaDOS in a hair-raising but beautifully orchestrated encounter.

Too bad Portal 2 still isn’t coming out until next year. Judging by the amount of polish already present in this latest video, though, the game may well be worth the wait. That seems par for the course as far as Valve games go.

Shacknews says five more videos will go online "throughout this week."

• quarantined

I hope this is actually a full scale game this time. I think most people beat the first one in a single go and were left saying “WTF it’s over?”.

• Skrying

Then I played it two more times, spent several more hours beating the challenges and then I spent several more finding good custom maps and playing those.

• zamb

q[<…with a cheesy English accent.<]q That’s a temporary voice actor (one of the staff, actually) for the E³ expo trailer. Most likely it will be substituted for another one in the final version. I don’t know whether the English accent will remain or not. Read the comments on the linked Shacknews article for more information. (Sorry for this not-so-useful comment, it’s a slooooowww day for me, and I thought: I should drag some people down. So here you go.)

• bthylafh

A good thing – the fellow doing the voice acting doesn’t enunciate well enough to be easily understood.

• Game_boy

They never do UK English localisations on voice acting when bringing us American and Japanese games. This is annoying to me in games with a lot of voice acting.

So I’d prefer they keep it. It’s different.

• Elsoze
      • MagerValp

Dammit, I was jonesing for a fix.

• l33t-g4m3r

l[

• Joerdgs

A Valve game is never finished in their book. One thing is sure though: I’m buying it asap. Valve games are always worth the prize.

• l33t-g4m3r

l[

• ImSpartacus

Oh stop your whining. Steam is the best implementation of DRM on the market today. It’s so good, most people don’t even understand that it’s DRM.

And besides, when Valve can cut out the slack, they can sell their products for a lot less money. Just a few days ago, I bought L4D2 for $10.20. Valve was actually selling their newest game for 66% off its reasonable price of $30. I couldn’t resist.

• cegras

Yes, they are.

What right do you have to assign arbitrary values of worth to a game? You’re only mad because you -think- you’re paying more than what it’s worth.

• Farting Bob

Price is a definite value, its right there on the box. Value is something that every person in every situation differs on. So how can you say that x dollars is good value for someone else you dont even know?
            Personally i thought portal was ok, but not great. I waited for it to go on a sale before i bought it, and im very likely to do so for portal 2.

• Bauxite

Keep your box and manual, most of the time its a waste. Especially the box part.

When was the last time a computer game manual actually told you something important? A well made tutorial level or intuitive UI in the first place works great.

The cool old school novel manuals died a long time ago, games have been coming with nothing but control charts, idiot install guides and 10 pages of legal boilerplate for the last decade.

Physical media sucks, not saying steam is perfect (not being able to sell games though DRM/DLC is killing that anyways, offline mode quirks, code bloat, jerk publishers with extra DRM but the box version is usually far worse) but overall it beats boxed games hands down.