BFG Tech low on power, dropping PSU lineup?

Citing a lack of profitability, BFG Tech surprisingly exited the graphics card market back in May. At the time, company chairman John Slevin said that BFG would "continue to provide our award-winning power supplies and gaming systems," and that "a few" new products were under development. However, according to a report over at HardOCP, BFG has now dropped PSUs from its roster, as well.

We are being told this morning by sources inside BFG Tech that its "PSU department" has been let go. I would suggest that if you have a BFG card that needs to be RMA’d, you need to get that done ASAFP. We do not see the company being "in business" much longer as it is reported that all its remaining inventory has been moved.

We’ve contacted BFG Tech for comment, but the company has yet to respond. The PSU business surely presents some of the same challenges that BFG faced in the graphics card market, though. There is certainly no shortage of PSU makers hawking largely similar designs built by only a handful of manufacturers.

BFG didn’t have a whole lot going on at Computex last month, giving further credence to the suggestion that the company may be in dire straits. With a motherboard line that never really got off the ground, graphics cards gone, and now PSUs potentially dropped, BFG has little left to sell beyond pricey complete systems and generic accessories. If the those other product categories weren’t viable enough to sustain, one has to wonder how much of a lifetime BFG has left.

• Bensam123

Hah, so who thought it was a good idea to discontinue their bread and butter products they’re known for? That’s like a death knell right there.

Reminds me of Abit discontinuing their motherboards and pursuing interests in the smaller markets. I don’t know who it is, but some of the people in the higher echelons of these companies have absolutely no business sense…. unless this is going as planned?

You give people enough rope and they go and hang themselves with it.

• pogsnet
      • memphis

pogsnet: There’s a lot of blame that can be put on Nvidia for this, but it’s not all their fault.

d0g_p00p: Actually, Nvidia only requires you go reference at launch. After this time period, the card goes what’s called “virtual” and BFG, among others, would run from reference as fast as possible because you could have better cards made for less money when you go virtual. Very few BFG cards were reference with “nothing making them different than the sticker on the HSF” after the initial launch.

link626: Actually, BFG had the GS and GX series as their economical power supply products.

Swollen_Goat: That was more than three years ago that BFG was using Topower (same OEM as Mushkin). Good to see you keep up with things in the industry. 😉

• d0g_p00p

I am not surprised. Too many reference design cards with nothing making them different than the sticker on the HSF. Anyone remember when companies all made unique designs for video cards? Canopus comes to mind with their Voodoo 1 & 2 line up. I remember when you looked around to find a company that based their products on a reference design (like the old Diamond) so you could use the reference drivers provided by the company.

Other than clockspeeds and freebies tossed into the box all the video cards are the same with few exceptions. It’s why I started buying PNY video cards. Same card @ standard clocks with nothing else tossed into the box and I save anywhere from $50 to $100.

• Walkintarget

Hoping my BFG GTX280 dos not die a premature death. One and only time I strayed from the eVGA fold and now it looks like a bad move on my part indeed.

• link626

no budget psu’s…… bad move.

how did they expect to compete with antec’s $30 psu’s?

mainstream is where all the money is.

• Lans

Hmm? Isn’t a $35 (from comment, rebate/sale event) to $50 PSU a “budget PSU”?

The only problem is I can only fine ONE PSU from BFG on Newegg at the moment (BFG Tech GS-550 550W) and a comparable PSU (550W) from Antec is in the same price range… Second problem, for me, is it is not listed as 80plus certified… I either look for 80plus certification or a specific model that I remembered for having good review and good value (so BFG PSU is/was not in my radar).

• StuG

I have to say this is one company a few years back I thought of as a “good thing” to have in the market. They were one of the first to bring life-time warranties to all of their graphics cards, thus prompting EVGA and XFX to follow suit. Though, the issue starts there. BFG started the lifetime warranty thing, but EVGA offered superior products/support (upgrade program), and XFX outdid them with overclocked parts = theirs as well as double lifetime warranties. What did they do to stay competitive? Nothing.

Every company out right now has a voltage tweak or something special that makes their card more “desirable” than anybody else’s. Not only did BFG not stay up on this competitive aspect…but their prices should warrant something really cool in this category as well.

• Farting Bob

In nearly all areas of PC parts except the humble CPU (and mechanical HDDs) there are IMO too many companies selling near enough the same product. With very thin margins its clear that not all these Graphics card/RAM/SSD/board/PSU companies can stick around.
    BFG were always on the pricey end of whatever market they were in and there was always companies offering effectively the same product for a few pounds (or in some cases a substantial amount) less.

• herothezero

Hard to say I’m surprised; they never actually had a value-added product line.

• PetMiceRnice

Wow, and these guys were so huge at one point in time.

• Swollen_Goat

The BFG PSU’s are identical to the inferior units that Mushkin tried selling a couple years ago. Total garbage, I’m sure we’ll see them again in the near future under a new brand name .

• ludi

• ludi

Oops

Their full system prices make Apple look generous and inexpensive. Holy cats.

• NeXus 6

I know HardOCP was pimping their products like they were the best things you could buy, but after reading several horror stories on their customer support I avoided BFG like the plague.

I can’t say I’ll miss them.

• Sahrin

eh, I’ll step up.

I own a BFG …AS? series Power Supply and it’s the best unit I’ve ever owned. I purchased it based on a recommendation from Anandtech, which showed it had some of the highest efficiency and voltage stability numbers of any PSU in its class.

It replaced a “look at me” branded 650W unit.

• LawrenceofArabia

To be entirely frank, you can probably find a bunch of horror stories for just about any manufacturer. Horror stories in the forums aren’t a reliable statistic in determining reliability or RMA convenience unless your looking at aggregate wholes of said horror stories.

But as far as BFG is concerned, it seems to me they simply didn’t compete with the elephant in the room that was EVGA. BFG card commanded similar premiums to EVGA’s offerings, but didn’t promote a superior feature set or warranty service nearly enough (whether or not those were true).

• TechNut

I still have a GT6600 of theirs. My original, I had to RMA because the fan n it died about 2 years after purchase. They sent me a AGP replacement instead of a PCI-E card. I had one heck of a time explaining that they sent me the wrong card. What sucked was the card was a upgrade, a 6900 or something like that.

Anyways, their support was ok, but after the fan issues, I decided to avoid them as well.

• 5150

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the h?

• ludi

So you [H]ate them, do you?

• FireGryphon

No, I don’t think you [H]ave.

• continuum

I don’t see them selling enough high-margin complete systems to stay in business if their video card business couldn’t keep them alive…

/me waits to hear a harp

• ssidbroadcast