New 11.6-inch ultraportable offers Radeon graphics, dual-core Athlon Neo

AMD was never keen on netbooks, but the company’s mobile CPUs are becoming increasingly common in budget ultraportable notebooks. HP’s 11.6" Pavilion dm1z is the latest example. The system starts at just $450 thanks to a $100 instant rebate, and one can choose between a selection of single- and dual-core processors. Radeon HD 4225 integrated graphics should provide plenty of grunt for smooth HD video playback and be able feed your World of Warcraft addiction at the display’s 1366×768 native resolution.

11.6" systems allow plenty of room for decent-sized keyboards, and the dm1z’s claims to be 92% of the real deal. Better yet, the keys appear to be large and ever-so-slightly contoured. The keyboard looks a little like the one HP used in the Pavilion dv2, which was let down only by its glossy key caps. It’s hard to tell whether gloss infects the dm1z’s key caps based on the pictures available on HP’s website. However, the system’s top panel and palm rest are draped in a "premium metallic finish" that looks a whole lot like glossy plastic to me. At least the gloss seems to have been applied over a textured print that might help mask fingerprints and smudges.

With a weight hovering around three pounds and a thickness of less than 0.8", the dm1z is definitely the sort of system you’ll want to carry around. A six-cell battery provides a claimed seven hours of battery life, which would be quite impressive for an AMD-based ultraportable.

Otherwise, the dm1z is pretty standard fare for a budget thin-and-light notebook. 802.11n Wi-Fi is included by default, and you can add Bluetooth for an extra $25. 2GB of RAM is provided in the base configuration along with a 250GB hard drive. Throw in HDMI and VGA outputs, three USB ports, and a memory card reader, and you have a well-rounded system that’s small enough for a man purse. Thanks to Dealzon for the tip and a coupon code (SVMB39487) that’ll knock an additional $25 off the system’s price. Free Bluetooth!

• 5150

Glossy screen, fingerprint showing case, terrible touchpad, the usual for HP.

• Rakhmaninov3

On its HP page, the keyboard’s color looks like old-school computer beige.

Ew.

• destroy.all.monsters

An optical drive would have made this just about perfect My search continues, sadly.

Am I the only one that finds it weird that one of the accessories you can add to it is a calculator?

• SomeOtherGeek

No, I thought that was weird too among other things.

• sluggo

Look at who you’re buying it from.

• Rakhmaninov3

I didn’t realize HP still sold calculators that look like the same ones they had 20 years ago. My dad has an old one from way back in the day, uses reverse Polish input.

• bjm

Here’s a cool trick: Take the “dm1z.jpg” file, rotate it upside down, and the keys fall off the keyboard. It’s neat, try it!

• ludi

Huh, whaddayaknow.

• Neutronbeam

“man purse”? Ewwwwww. You couldn’t, like, call it a satchel of carrying or messenger bag or mobile electronics transport?

• mieses

bummer about the cheap HP plastics, as usual.

• Rakhmaninov3

Well, it’s a cheap system.

• demani

This is getting pretty close to ideal for me. I’ll wait to actually check the keyboard and screen in person, but since I never need more than about 4 hours battery life at a time this would just about do it. Though why Bluetooth is optional on a laptop is beyond my comprehension.

Also note that a 320GB drive is currently included as well, and 1GB of RAM appears to be soldered onto the motherboard (or at least not user replaceable) so there is only a single socket free (hence the 2,3 and 5GB RAM options).

• wibeasley

Even with good behavior, isn’t it likely to have less than 4 hours of battery after a year or two? I gues it’s reasonable to replace a $50 system at that time if needed.

• UberGerbil

If you’re looking in that size/price range, and keyboard and screen matter to you, do yourself a favor and try out a Lenovo x100e

• Disco

the lenovo has only 1 gb ram and much smaller hard drive. And the base price is $500.

So how do I get me a HP dm1z in Canada? It looks like the machine I’ve been waiting for, but I don’t see it available on hp.ca yet.

• UberGerbil

The x100e has two SODIMM slots, so it can be purchased with/upgraded to 4GB. And I’ve seen it much cheaper than $500 (Lenovo was running sales all spring, and probably will again). But really it depends on how important the screen and keyboard are to you. When I was trying out various machines at Fry’s the x100e stood out as so far ahead of the others (even larger machines) on those two points it wasn’t even close.

I would already own one but, like the guy below, I’m holding out to see if they do a Nile refresh with DDR3 and better battery life.

• maasenstodt

I’m just waiting for Lenovo to update the x100e to use the newer AMD processors before likely pulling the trigger.

• Shinare

During the customization process, when selecting which of the one option available for keyboard, the picture clearly looks to be glossy keys.

Whats wrong with glossy keys?

You can get 2 for $40 more. Personally 5 hours is plenty for me, but if you really need more you can get it – sorta.