Launch roundup: Two cases, 18 mouse buttons, and 1080p through USB

This week, we’ve collected launch announcements from Atlona, Enermax, Thermaltake, WarMouse. Let’s start with the enthusiast gear:

• Enermax announces Volcanus enclosure. The Volcanus is a $79 gaming mid-tower with sideways-mounted, tool-less drive bays, cable-routing cut-outs in the motherboard tray, and a PSU mount at the bottom. Enermax is pimping the case’s "aggressive flame-themed design" and "special 140mm Blue/Red Combo LED fan included in the front" just as hard as the other features, though. (We hear the fan has 11 different light modes.)

• Thermaltake introduces the exclusive Element V NVIDIA Edition chassis. Thermaltake calls this product the "world’s one and only Nvidia certified full-tower chassis for next-generation ultra-high performance graphics cards," which is quite a mouthful. In simpler terms, the Element V Nvidia Edition has a green-and-black color scheme, an "exclusive" GPU air duct co-designed by Thermaltake and Nvidia, and an ungodly number of fans (including a 230-mm behemoth on the side). The press release suggests this thing is roomy and well-cooled enough to accommodate Extended ATX mobos and four-way GeForce GTX 480 setups, too… assuming you find a PSU powerful enough.

• WarMouse Meta is now shipping and isn’t just for games. Formerly called the OpenOffice.org mouse (before the lack of affiliation with the free productivity suite came to light), this mouse manages to cram 16 buttons where most mice have just two—and there are another two buttons, as well as an analog joystick. The WarMouse Meta is now available from the WarMouse Store for $79.99. Only Windows is supported right now, although full Linux and Mac OS X compatibility should come later this quarter.
  • Atlona Technologies officially releases the AT-HDPiX2. Want to hook up your laptop to an HDTV, but lack a display digital output? Then try this device. For $149, the AT-HDPiX2 purportedly pipes 1080p video through a simple USB output. Atlona touts software support for Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.4, and newer versions of the two operating systems.

That’s all, folks. More next week!

• ronch

I’d love to see this product acquired by Apple so we can see Apple fanbois and gurls buy this in droves in Apple Stores. Oh, and don’t hold your mouse that way.

• UberGerbil

You know that weird kid you had in that one class, the guy who sat alone in the back and filled up his notebook by drawing comics he wouldn’t let anyone else read? The villains in his strip were named “WarMouse” and “Volcanus”

• bdwilcox

And the heroine’s name was Atlona.

• YellaChicken

You read my comics didn’t you!!! When my back was turned you looked at them!! 😉

• Skrying

You guys are ignoring the best part of the Thermaltake case. It was created for esports! How freaking awesome is that! A computer case that is going to make your esporting better!!!

• Rakhmaninov3

WTF is eSports?

• UberGerbil

Something that makes you want to cover your volcanus.

• wira020

I’m guessing Radeon cards would perform worse if put into that chasis.. or maybe warranty void or something… it’s Nvidia after all…

• Fighterpilot

Yup,after you order one it takes 6 months to arrive,is louder than you expected and makes use of woodscrews at various points. 😉

• cygnus1

Keep these launch roundups coming, definitely like them.

• bdwilcox

Volcanus? Volcanus!?! Volcanus!!?!?!?!!!1! Oh, man. What an unfortunate name. These Taiwanese guys need to run these names by an English consultant before choosing this stuff. I can’t believe anyone else hasn’t commented on it yet. New logo: /[

• dpaus

Yeah, ‘Volcanus’ would have been much more appropriate for the case intended to house the 4-way nVidea set-up – that’s the one I’d expect to spit up molten hunks of stuff. ‘China Syndrome’ would have been good, too, but Universal Artists – and Jane Fonda personally – probably would have sued.

• bdwilcox

I was more horrified by the Volc*[

• XaiaX

Volcanus is what happens a few hours after you get too much habanero in your chile sauce.

• bdwilcox

With each case case, they should throw in gift certificates to Taco Bell and White Castle.

• Rakhmaninov3

My first thought was “volcano,” to be fair.

• UberGerbil

Instant poll: which one is uglier?

• cygnus1

definitely the element V

• paulWTAMU

Volcanus. Both look like something designed by a gifted chimpanzee with a love of neon though.

• wira020

The green goblin. The warmouse and volcanus only lose by 1 point of ugliness.

• jdaven

“Thermaltake introduces the exclusive Element V NVIDIA Edition chassis.”

I love unrelated brand bundling. I wonder how many people will think they need a certain computer case to get the most out of their graphics card.

• demani

I think in this case it just lets the buyer know that if they want to spend an ungodly amount of money on video cards that it should work. Don’t know they can really qualify that given different vendor designs for the cards, but hey- if you can afford it in the first place, then its “just money”.

• dpaus

I thought the key differentiating feature was the floor bolts? (so that the 18 high-velocity fans required to keep a 4-way nVidea setup from melting down don’t cause the case to propel itself across the floor…..)

• BiffStroganoffsky

Crikey!…I can see why it is called a WarMouse. Them buttons look like active armor plating. That round button should be red for the ‘nuke’ option.

• 5150

A mouse like that makes me want to start playing WoW again.

• demani

It appears to be a small tactical warhead in mouse form. It’s triggered by a coded combination, random for each device. The perfect gift to that frag-frenemy: at some point during the game their hand will explode. Rumor has it that CoD will be requiring it’s use to enhance realism.

• UberGerbil

It should be the War*[<_[

• Rakhmaninov3

Reviews seem to be good, but it looks totally useless to me because all those tiny buttons are so close to each other. Perhaps it’d be easy to use for people with smaller fingers, but I know I’d end up mashing the wrong buttons at the wrong times.

I do like the joystick, though, and it looks like it has a pretty badass laser.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, I think I’d map all the buttons to the left of the scroll wheel to one thing (maybe “left click”) and all the buttons on the right of the scroll wheel to one other thing (maybe “right click”).

• bdwilcox

I LOL’d.

• YellaChicken

Meh, looks like a Blackberry without the screen to me. (admittedly with slightly fewer keys and added knobbly bits tho)

• ironoutsider

Just ordered that mouse, it’s got so many buttons, I ordered on that instant that I saw it! YES!!!