Intel may discontinue mobile Celeron processors

Right now, folks shopping for a new notebook get to choose between Intel processors under the Celeron, Pentium, and Core brand names. According to DigiTimes, this triumvirate of trademarks may soon lose one of its members.

Although Intel reportedly denies it, DigiTimes says its sources at notebook makers expect the Celeron lineup to disappear next year. The rumor is that Intel will fill the gap with Pentium-branded chips and upcoming dual-core mobile Atom processors. Based on what we heard in May, netbooks toting a new dual-core Atom N550 CPU (and price tags in the $349-399 range) will start hitting stores later this quarter.

At present, the mess of different Celeron, Pentium, and Core processors isn’t always easy to figure out. Take the Celeron SU2300, Pentium SU4100, and Core 2 Duo SU7300, for instance—three Consumer Ultra-Low-Voltage processors with dual cores, similar clock speeds, and 10W power envelopes. The only major difference between them seems to be L2 cache, since the Celeron has 1MB, the Pentium has 2MB, and the Core 2 Duo packs 3MB. Does that really warrant completely different brand names?

Don’t expect mobile Celerons to vanish from listings too quickly, though. DigiTimes says Intel plans to introduce three new ones "by the end of September."

• MadManOriginal

I guess you laughed at people without really knowing how the CPUs performed then. The Netburst Celerons did indeed suck but the ones older than that didn’t as much. The Cel [email protected] could run with the PIIs of the time in some specific cases (when cache didn’t matter) and the 300A @450+ was often as fast or faster than the ‘better’ processors…it was actually more advanced because it had on-die cache rather than separate cache chips. The Coppermine Celerons weren’t bad either although by then the PIIIs had the cache on-die too.

• dashbarron

Urgh. We used to poke fun at coworkers and friends who would unwillingly pick up an old Celeron processor. So lackluster back in the day, I can still hear Celeron whispered on the winds, followed by a round of laughter.

• clone

don’t care about mobile but I picked up a dual core Celery processor for $50 Cdn 3 weeks ago mated it to a $51 Gigabyte mobo with integrated and 2048mb’s of ram and it’s running quite nicely…… certainly no gamer but as barebones goes it was quality cheap instead of just plain cheap.

• VILLAIN_xx

Then there’s people like me If i see Celeron, I avoid it.

😛

• MadManOriginal

I know this says mobile CPUs but I must admit I’ve got a soft spot for the Celeron name. My first fully self-built computer was a Celeron 266 cacheless which ran for a good while at 448MHz. I skipped out on the slightly later 300A love being a college student at the time but I can imagine even more people had those in their first self-built PC.

• KarateBob

And they retired the Duron (RIP) before that.

• kdashjl

i kinda like celerons

• Farting Bob

Makes sense to kill the brand off and maybe just have 1 or 2 pentiums stretch further down the price point with Atom at the end. My first PC i built myself had a celeron in there. In fact its still running as my grandparents PC 8 years on. Dread to think of how slow it must feel, it was the second cheapest option back then.

• UberGerbil

Yes, but that’s independent of /[

• slaimus

AMD has stopped calling their newer low end processors Semperon, but “V-Series” now as well.

• ModernPrimitive

Maybe I’m a bit of a eejit and biased against celerons and zillions of brands but I won’t miss it either. Before the Core line it made sense but I think the Celeron or Pentium one needs to go and from a marketing stand point it would make more sense to keep the Pentium IMHO….

• Flying Fox

I don’t think I’ll shed any tears when the Celeron name disappears from the desktop as well.

• jdaven

Intel and AMD found out long ago that having as many SKU’s as possible with just the slightest differentiate is the better way to do business. That way OEMs have any and every price point they want.

Share this post with your friends!