Please take our new reader survey

Every once in a while, we survey our readership in order to figure out how to serve you better—and to help our advertisers get a feel for our audience. That helps us produce the right kind of content and pay the bills without littering the site with “punch the monkey!” ads. (Although punching that monkey can be fun, no doubt about it.)

With that in mind, we invite you to partake in our latest and greatest reader survey. We’ve gone all-out on this one, using special survey software with multiple paths depending on how you answer. Pretty high-tech stuff. Any and all readers, including our loyal community of TR gerbils, are encouraged to participate.

We’re going to run ads throughout the site and keep this survey up for a few weeks, so hopefully, everyone will get to give it a go. And of course, we’ll share the results with you down the road.

Since the survey is hosted off-site, we should point out the obvious and note that this isn’t an elaborate ploy to mine personal information about our readers. Nothing personally identifiable will be gathered; just the answers you provide us.

• kamikaziechameleon

got stuck with the text verification, confused why?

• ClickClick5

DONE!

And I hope to keep it real!

EDIT: I want to use server parts for my home PC, but I always talk myself out of it. To pricey for me. Besides, I mess with servers all the time at work. Now….if only they will let me take some parts home…

• mcnabney

Unless you need ECC and multple CPUs at home there really isn’t that much need for most internal server components.

However, I do make use of some server cases and several types of server power supplies. When I build servers for home use I don’t want to waste my future time supporting twitchy consumer power supplies that are likely to fail after a year or two due to 24/7/365 use.

• SomeOtherGeek

Well, I kept it real! Now, I’m curious on the report of these results cuz I’ve taken similar surveys in the past after a purchase and never knew what people did with the info.

• MadManOriginal

They sell your info off for targeted advertisers. You, sir, are just a number!

• PhilipMcc

Please be sure to share the results in a follow-up article.

• ew

What, no question about how the new front page layout sucks!

• mcnabney

You must not visit very often. I got used to it after a week.

• OneArmedScissor

I’ve been using both and I still find the very short list of recent news links on the “new” page annoying. I’m pretty sure there have been a few days where enough new things were posted that it was lopping off something from the morning.

• Grape Flavor

Yeah. I hated it at first but as of now I don’t think I’d switch back even if the old layout was offered.

• cygnus1

this only took a minute, but i’d give up more than that to keep you guys on the web… maybe even two minutes 🙂

• Sargent Duck

I think we all need to just take a step back. Yes, some of the questions were a little odd for previous choices and not everything fit together. But I’m pretty sure that who ever created the questions for this realized that many of us may not be working IT, and I’m sure they factored that in. That, and TR may be looking for data that is not readily apparent to us (for example, maybe they want to find out how many gerbils complain about IT only questions?)

That being said, Adam I’ll send you my paypal account and you can deposit my payment in there : )

• dragmor

The survey is a little US centric. There are lots of countries with 3 and 5 year degrees. Also I assume you wanted Income in US dollars, for which I used the current exchange rate, but that is not a good representation of buying power. Your income bands are also fairly skewed making the question a little useless. Just how many TR readers do you think are earning 250k+?

• grantmeaname

Just Brian_S.

• Krogoth

Probably a handful at best.

There aren’t that many positions in the IT field or IT related that land you a six-figure salary.

• Fighterpilot

Done.
    Nice to see user feedback is being solicited.

• Saribro

Pff, I tell this thing that I’m a student on at least two occasions but I get served endless “your role in the workplace” questions with no “does not apply” option? To hell with this.

• Meadows

Son, school is your /[

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, it’s not a very intelligent survey.

I say I’m an 18 college student and then provide a major in a technical field. Then it starts asking me about my influence in IT decisions at my workplace and about the computers at my workplace.

area of study != area of employment

• Inkling

Lots of college students also have jobs that may include some measure of influence over IT hardware or the like. I know that I worked while in college, as did most my friends. Especially during the summer, when we all had full-time jobs.

• grantmeaname

I wait tables full time over the summer. No influence there, and I said as much and then was asked the same questions anyways.

• Inkling

I’m wondering whether if there’s a problem registering your answers or logging a cookie. I just re-took the survey (un-recorded so as not to skew results), answering all questions as though I were a college student with no professional IT responsibilities, and the majority of the enterprise IT-related questions were skipped. You should still get questions like “have you been involved in the installation of a server?” and “do you use server-class hardware at home?” regardless, by the way.

• pedro

Me too. I also told them I have nothing to do with purchasing IT gear for my organization yet they kept asking me what shapes my opinion when making those purchases I don’t make.

Odd.

• Inkling

So leave’em blank and go to a question that is relevant to your situation.

• Inkling

You don’t have to answer all the questions… just leave’em blank. There are only 2 or 3 that require you to answer.

• blitzy

done and done

• wira020

Is it just me, or the survey site is kinda slow?…

• Veerappan

Worked fine for me, but it’s been a few hours since you tried it.

• 5150

Love the picture on the front page. Very fitting.

• not@home

Is that what a gerbil really looks like? I had no idea.

• jdaven

Looks like a mouse. Also, why isn’t the part of the gerbil/mouse being magnified by the magnifying glass? Looks like the two images are identical.

Sorry I’m really bored right now.

• Cyril

It is magnified, actually. Just very slightly. See how the tail doesn’t line up? 😉

• Rakhmaninov3

Hey, Apple can have a Magic Mouse, so we can have a Magic Gerbil that is immune to the effects of magnifying implements.

• GodsMadClown

Yo boy, I kept it real.

• jdaven

Done and done. I hope my answers make this website a beautiful place.

• Forge

Survey completed. You’re welcome, Scott.

• 5150

I will swap my survey results for another year of great (free) tech information.

• cygnus1

reply fail

• Cyco-Dude

survey annoyed me, so i closed it. if i answer that i have nothing to do with IT stuff, don’t keep asking me IT-related questions!

so much for multiple answer paths…

• yuriylsh

If IT-related stuff annoys you so much… what are you doing on this site?

• Meadows

Maybe he likes computers but he doesn’t work as a programmer, web developer, server administrator or anything related. Imagine that.

• LawrenceofArabia

Bingo. The whole IT section of the survey didn’t apply to me in the slightest. I am a PC hardware enthusiast, but unrelated to IT in general.

• yuriylsh

I can easily imagine that. Then it’s probably hard to recognize a logo on your/your coworkers workstations, make a wild guess if the IT budget is below $10,000 or above $1,000,000 and click “I don’t know” button in these cases… Techreport better ask about favorite cuisine or vacation destination, but then it would annoy me, because I am not a cook or tour agent 😀

• grantmeaname

exactly! so much for multiple branching paths. It said “do you do IT”, and I said I didn’t, so it asked me my company’s IT budget (after I said I was a full time student…) and what brands my company purchased. Does that even slightly relate to the website at all?