Adobe: 3D coming to Flash Player

As HTML5 video starts to look like an increasingly viable alternative to Flash, Adobe is already thinking ahead—to other perks that can keep Flash in the game, that is. According to CNet News, one of those perks is none other than 3D graphics.

CNet found an interesting session while browsing through the schedule for Adobe’s Max 2010 conference, which will kick off on October 23. Here’s a screen grab from the schedule applet:

That certainly sounds exciting. Adobe’s Thibault Imbert generated additional hype in a blog post last week, too. "If you are into 3d development for games, augmented reality or just interactive stuff like websites, you just can’t miss the session entitled Flash Player 3D future," he teased. "We will share plans with you at Max during this session, I tell you, some serious stuff is coming for 3D developers."

Of course, Adobe isn’t the only one working to bring 3D graphics to the web. The Khronos Group—the folks behind OpenGL—created the WebGL working group last March. Since then, we’ve seen early browser support and a browser-based version of Quake II put together by Google.

• SonicSilicon

VRML take two!

More seriously, I still don’t see how adoption to utilizie this will be better than say, oh, Shockwave.

• sweatshopking

THIS IS FOR 3D GRAPHICS. LIKE A NINTENDO 64. NOT 3D VISION POPPING OUT STUFF.

• deathBOB

Life like stuttering in 3D? Sign me up!

• Sargent Duck

And in order to run these 3D flash ads, do I need a 120mhz monitor? and if I don’t have such said device, will I now be getting flash induced headaches from the blurry 3D on a 75mhz monitor?

I can see flash blocks becoming much more common.

Damage, I know it’s a very hot topic with flash blockers and TR front page (as you recieve many advertising dollars from it), so perhaps it’s time to look into an alternative, like Microsoft’s silverlight?

• odizzido

I guess regular flash was running fine on new processors which was unacceptable. Now the 3d one will be multithreaded and will run every core to 100%

• Fragnificent

As long as Flashblock continues to save me from having to put up with this crap, I could care less. lol.

• tay

I *[

• bthylafh

Woo, 3D ads.

• poulpy

Next thing you know they’ll add Smell-O-Vision(TM) support..
    I kind of preferred the time when Flash was just sitting there being not updated.

• Buzzard44

As much CPU as Flash takes already, one might actually use a hexacore CPU to render 3D Flash.

• bdwilcox

Oh, Lord, please stop with the trendy 3D this and 3D that! Yeah, there’s nothing I feel like doing more than browsing the web with 3D glasses on just so I can see the cool 3D Flash punch the monkey game.

• dpaus

I don’t know… I might actually enjoy watching the monkey’s blood splatter out of the screen onto my keyboard…

• flip-mode

Hey, Adobe, 64 bit flash player for linux, asap, thanks.

• zdw

Oh boy! Something new to crash our browsers and work like a dog on mobile devices or anything not running Windows!

Seriously Adobe, give up. You lost this war by complacency and bad engineering, and feature creep like this is not going to improve the situation…

• Farting Bob

How has adobe lost this war? Who is it up against? HTML5 is still a good few years behind flash in many aspects, silverlight exists only on MS owned sites. In the mobile sector apple keeps on bashing flash but largely because its a convenient excuse to sell you an app for something that exists for free everywhere else in flash form.