Embrace Your Geekness Day Shortbread

Eight is Enough

1. Engadget reports Windows 7-based hp Slate referenced

at WPC 2010, Ballmer says ‘hardcore’ tablet push coming

2. PreCentral: Flexible displays in webOS’s (distant) future?
  3. SuperSite Blog on smart phones vs. PCs
  4. Maravedis: How much data traffic do you consume?
  5. Fudzilla reports new Athlon II X4 615e 45W comes in Q3

and Athlon II X4 650 comes in Q4 2010

6. Computerworld reports Microsoft extends Windows XP downgrade rights until 2020
  7. USA Today reports Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 updates to stop this week
  8. Documentation for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Beta

Embrace Your Geekness Day

1. ABC News: The end of free Internet?
  2. Ars Technica reports rural telco serves 17 people, rakes in $300K

(of your money) and municipal broadband haters in NC dealt a blow

3. DSLReports: Sprint pushes 4G into seven new markets
  4. Wireless industry: Bill shock rules ‘unnecessary
  5. C|Net reports man claims to own 84% of Facebook
  6. TC Magazine reports Gateway preps the NS series ultra-thin notebooks
  7. C|Net reports Windows slates should come with Zune software
  8. TC Magazine reports OCZ coming up with high-density DDR3 2133MHz memory kits
  9. Lab tests: Why Consumer Reports can’t recommend the iPhone 4
  10. DSLReports: Sprint still struggling with HTC EVO shortages
  11. Download Squad reports BlackBerry 6 features revealed in new RIM video
  12. Engadget reports Intel’s smart TV remote will recognize you, tailor content to your wishes

and Barnes & Noble looks to lock down e-book delivery for education with Nook Study

13. TUAW reports iPad stealing sales of e-readers and portable game consoles
  14. Dealzon’s deals: $100 off 17.3″ Toshiba L555-S7001, $120 off 17.3″ Toshiba L675D-S7016,

$50 off 1.5TB Seagate Expansion external HD, and $45 off Logitech Z523 speakers

14. Windows Phone Developer Tools Beta released
  15. Google App Inventor beta

Gaming

1. Microsoft: Kinect could boost revs $1B in first year, Caris says
  2. MCV reports best Kinect games still 2 years away
  3. Ars Technica reports Nintendo 3DS packs extra weapons against piracy

and ESRB’s privacy badge all about best practices, not anonymity

4. VG247 on Ubi Q1 figures – Conviction sells 1.9 million, Driver delayed into 2011
  5. Shacknews reports Remedy “very pleased” with Alan Wake

reception, says title seems to have “have legs”

6. GameInformer has Dragon Age II: First screenshots
  7. Big Download reports StarCraft II website offers more info on Hyperion starship
  8. VE3D reports Realtime Worlds talks about fixes for APB
  9. GamingBolt reports Crysis 2 Limited Edition spotted
  10. Epic Games posts July UDK Beta
  11. Garry’s Mod update released on Steam
  12. Shacknews has BlazBlue: Continuum Shift preview
  13. KitGuru reviews ArmA II (PC)
  14. Shacknews has giveaway – ArmA II: Combined Operations
  15. Steam has Day of Defeat: Source for Mac

Hardware

1. Engadget’s Toshiba Portégé R705 review
  2. AnandTech reviews 128GB / 256GB Crucial RealSSD C300
  3. lifehacker: Top 10 USB thumb drive tricks
  4. AnandTech’s Nvidia GTX 460 review part 2: Asus,

EVGA & Zotac cards overclocked and reviewed

5. [H]ard|OCP’s Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI performance follow-up
  6. techPowerUp! tests Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
  7. HT4U reviews Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 (in German)
  8. TweakTown reviews Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC
  9. OCC reviews Asus VW266H monitor
  10. TUAW’s first look: Exogear Exolife battery case for iPhone 4
    • PeterD

Why do you end your reaction by deliberately trying to insult people?

q[

• indeego

Anand found a lot of issues with GC/TRIM on the C300 that TR didn’t really touch on. Anand also chastised Crucial based on releasing known faulty firmware in production, which I think is the right attitude to send to the industry.

Does TR even bother testing these drives on other operating systems or in heavy-use scenarios? SSD’s are even more likely to have 80%+ usage out of them given how small they are, and that could be disastrous for performance on some SSD’s and not so much othersg{<.<}g

• OneArmedScissor

It looks like he also found that they’ve been fixed. In this particular case, there was a brief period where they were shipping drives that were a bit screwy, but Anand seems to publicly review new drives like 14 times before they even go on sale. I get the idea that it’s intentional, as it almost invariably leads to controversy and a squillion more articles about just one otherwise here today, gone tomorrow drive, with tons of traffic directed there by other sites that don’t focus on SSDs so much.

TR waited a little bit. Pick your poison.

• iq100

When I left click on
    Software>VI.Unlocker 1.9.0
    using Win7, IE8 I get this message:

“This website has been reported to contain the following threats:

Malicious software threat: This site contains links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons.”

Why? Valid?

• Ronald

The link works fine for me. However, if it makes you uncomfortable, stay away from it.

*[http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/<]§

• wingless

How do you plan on celebrating ‘Embrace Your Geekness Day’?

As I am a geek for a living, I will simply do my usual routine of fixing my company’s computers and tweaking my work computer.

• UberGerbil

• jackaroon

For better or for worse, pretty much every day is “Embrace your geekness” day for me. I gave up on living any other way.

• ironoutsider

To think, all of these years I’ve been trying to remove my geekness. By working out at gyms, wearing contacts, and having a girlfriend! It’s all been a lie! *sob* I am a geek. TR has accepted me for who I am and I don’t even know who they are! If they can, than I must accept myself for being a geek as well. I will wear my glasses and customize my desktop today on my work computer. I will embrace my geekness. **salute**

• PeterD

“SuperSite Blog on smart phones vs. PCs”

Interesting.

Next comparison: tractors vs. race cars.

• wira020

I hope that in the future, i’d just need a smart phone attached to a keyboard, mouse and a bigger monitor for serious gaming and other cpu/gpu intensive stuff..

• UberGerbil

Yeah, the day is coming when a worker can just come in and drop their phone into a docking station with keyboard, mouse, and monitor already attached — and that’s their office computer running whatever apps they need to do their job. There are some interesting issues with that — who owns the hardware, and how is the corporate data that might be on it sandboxed from their personal use of the phone, etc — but they’ll get it worked out (some companies have been buying phones and data plans for employees for decades now, after all) and so for a lot of people that’s the shape of things to come.

• dpaus

..and I can hardly wait for that day to get here…

Watch for smartphones supporting USB 3.x and sporting 64 – 128 GBytes of storage – that’ll be the First Horseman of the (PC) Apocolypse.

• dashbarron

Peter, you need to go to a tractor pull 😉

• Meadows

XP to 2020? /[<*[

• JustAnEngineer

Another decade’s worth, at least.

• PeterD

I think that’s just great.
      I don’t feel for buying new computers if they doesn’t give me a real benefit.

• Meadows

Great. Now go and be on topic.

• OneArmedScissor

roflcopter

• PeterD

By the way: did you notice MS wants to have a W7 tablet?
      Doesn’t that mean performance isn’t important?
      And did you know lots of people who bought an iPad, use it for games?
      DOesn’t that mean too that perfomrance isn’t imporant?
      So I don’t think keeping XP till 2020 is a bad idea. It just shows that computers has reached a very mature stage, in which newer isn’t always necessary.
      Yes, ti could be better.
      But one of the things which should be better is durability to lower cost of ownership, and it’s not by changing the system every three years that you enhance durability.
      I hope ssd’s will do much for durability, but they’re still very expensive.

• Meadows

Newer is necessary. XP doesn’t support an extremely long list’s worth of things that fall into categories of “good to have” or “must have”.

• Kurotetsu

The article is only talking about Windows XP Downgrade rights, and they only apply to OEM copies of Windows 7. The article doesn’t mention anything about increasing its support lifetime, which is still scheduled to end in 2014.

• sweatshopking

i was REALLY looking forward to it ending. I work for an OEM, and I HATE having to work on xp systems, would much rather that they upgrade the software to be compatible with win 7. mostly just cause i know it would cost them a butt load of money 😉

• PeterD

But they can’t go on selling it till 2020 without giving some sort of support, even if it is a downgrade product.

• Meadows

They can, and I hope people will suffer that.

• UberGerbil

/[

• PeterD

Why do you end your reaction by deliberately trying to insult people?

q[

• Meadows

You haven’t addressed anything anyone said.

• PeterD

You write like a troll.

• Meadows

Takes one to know one, I guess.

• mattthemuppet

at least I can understand what he’s saying. Double negatives and circular arguments do not a coherent argument make.

• Mystic-G

LOL… great way to be ass backwards about this.

If anything they should be trying their damnedest to give intensives to get people to upgrade. As a XP user myself, even I gotta say… till 2020 is pretty ridiculous. Microsoft seems to be clueless about what they wanna do. Just create a new Windows version, call it ‘XP2’ and get it over with. Yes, it would probably work.

• burntham77

Holy hell. They need to stop.

• UberGerbil

They would if their big customers would allow it. I doubt they’ll really go anywhere near that long (they’ll wind it up once the last big account moves on) but for now they have to say the right things.

• dashbarron

I know some incompatibilities exist, but I can’t see why someone would actively choose XP over 7, or Vista for that matter (Vista if you’re Meadows).

• JustAnEngineer

I hate having to worry about how much data I consume. 🙁

• PeterD

If they say “data”: do they mean DATA, or rather data + *[

• Meadows

Are you sure you know what data means?

• ironoutsider

Frumz da weikipediaz that i downd frum duh intanetz “The term data refers to groups of information that represent the qualitative or quantitative attributes of a variable or set of variables. Data (plural of “datum”, which is seldom used) are typically the results of measurements and can be the basis of graphs, images, or observations of a set of variables. Data are often viewed as the lowest level of abstraction from which information and knowledge are derived. Raw data refers to a collection of numbers, characters, images or other outputs from devices that collect information to convert physical quantities into symbols, that are unprocessed.”

• PeterD

Yeah, I know….
          And it’s not what they want to sell us as data.

• Flying Fox

That sounded like payola “reports” to support this 200megs per month usage number AT&T (and may be other carriers) want to throw out in their propaganda.