XtremeKey thumb drive blends style with durability

USB thumb drives are a dime a dozen these days. Actually, I think they might be down to a nickel. We don’t often cover them here at TR, but one catches our eye every so often. I’m particularly fond of the indestructible variety, if only because that gives me an excuse to do silly things, like strap Corsair’s Survivor GT in the path of rocks, mud, and other debris kicked up my by mountain bike’s front tire. Now, there’s a new contender for the title of world’s most durable flash drive: LaCie’s XtremeKey.

Available in 8-64GB capacities, the XtremeKey puts its flash inside a metal pipe crafted from a fancy four-metal alloy that LaCie identifies as “zamac” (but is probably Zamak). The company claims that casing will protect the drive should it ever be run over by a 10-ton truck. The XtremeKey can also survive falls up to five meters and temperatures between -50° and 200°C. Oh, look, an Xtreme promotional video:

It’s a shame the video doesn’t end with the XtremeKey being ravaged by the meat tenderizer. Or a blender.  LaCie probably didn’t want to scuff up the drive’s brushed metal finish, which nicely complements the minimalist industrial design.

In the blurb preceding the press release that hit our inbox, LaCie says the XtremeKey offers “industry leading USB Key speeds of up to 40 M[B]/s.” Apparently, that industry doesn’t include SuperSpeed USB 3.0. We’ve yet to encounter a USB 3.0 drive that can survive being run over by a truck, though.

• Bensam123

I won’t believe it till I see it face off against a Blend Tec blender.

§[< http://www.willitblend.com/<]§

• ShadowTiger

I think its awesome that they put actual benchmarks in their commercial, honestly it should become an industry standard… though that might threaten the business model for sites like this one : P

• Majiir Paktu

l[

• spengler

Certainly works wonders for marketing, as this news item demonstrates. The real-world data protection benefits are much less clear – mitigating a one in 50,000 risk of such extreme impact isn’t that relevant when the product is vulnerable to one in 50 risks (losing the drive, putting it through the washing machine, etc).

And these sorts of “extreme durability” products may lead to risk compensation – people get a false sense of security so they’re less inclined to back up its data.

• wira020

But… will it it blend?

• Vagn Henning

Yes, of course it blends. Everything blends, except Chuck Norris!

• bdwilcox

What I want is a USB thumb-drive with a GPS transceiver. I’ve had a couple thumb-drives lost or stolen and I’d love to track them down (as well as the culprit). A USB drive with lo-jack that calls home might be useful, as well.

• ironoutsider

I may actually buy this if it’s water proof too. So many lost flash drives with unrecoverable artwork and pictures. Stupid Pants! Stupid Washing Mashines! Stupid not checking my pants before I wash them and wash my flash drives in the washing machine!