First IE9 beta to come in September

Those Internet Explorer 9 platform previews are all well and good, but they’re hardly usable for day-to-day browsing—you know, what with the missing user interface and all. ZDNet now says the first IE9 beta isn’t too far off; Microsoft COO Kevin Turner reportedly revealed a September release schedule for it during a keynote speech yesterday.

ZDNet doesn’t say much else, except that the beta is "expected to be" public and will feature "more of the user interface elements." Also, the final version of IE9 probably won’t make it out until next year.

I can’t help but be excited about IE9. Instead of playing catch-up like with IE8, Microsoft has broken some new ground by implementing rather effective hardware acceleration features. The platform previews render dynamic HTML5 content like this far quicker than Chrome 5 and the Firefox 4 betas, and the previews feel quite snappy when rendering normal web pages, too. Unless Google and Mozilla manage to implement full hardware acceleration in Windows before IE9 makes it out of the gate, I might actually consider switching to Microsoft’s next browser.

• Meadows

Google might rush something out the door, but Mozilla? They’re left in the dust this time around.

They don’t even know /[

• wiak

“unless Google and Mozilla manage to implement full hardware acceleration in Windows before IE9 makes it out of the gate”
    am pretty sure thats gonna be done :p

• tejas84

Looking forward to this and if the hardware acceleration is decent I will ditch Firefox for IE9!

• Meadows

Nowadays Firefox is slow compared to everything.

• HisDivineShadow

IE9 looks interesting. I like that they’re pushing hardware acceleration in that it will push Chrome to do the same. I’ve seen them already communicating about said support for months in their feature progress info.

The sad thing is that IE9 will mean my backup compatibility browser will be a lot better, but their updates will not come for months after that and Chrome’ll have lapped them many times over before they ever get around to updating it again. Microsoft’s developmental cycle has not changed and so any advantage IE9 has will be surpassed and since everyone knows about its advantages, they’ll probably be surpassed before it even leaves beta. So the best I can say is at least my b/c will be featuring some improvements, which is nice, I guess, but I wish sites didn’t require me to always have an IE browser to be sure everything works as it should. Firefox and Chrome all have their sites that just don’t work. Opera has more than those two. I use the IE extension for Chrome to put an IE version of the page into the Chrome window in a pinch, but usually I just load up IE8 for those sites.

I enjoy my Chrome extensions too much to give them up for a slightly faster IE9. As I’ve said, I also don’t think IE9 will have any advantage over Chrome or Firefox (or Opera for that matter) with regards to whizz-bang features by the time it leaves beta EXCEPT for compatibility. For that, I’ll just rely on it as a backup.

• HisDivineShadow

For my uses, Firefox is so slow compared to Chrome. Slow to start, slow to load pages, slow to use. I use Chrome primarily with Firefox as backup and IE8 for compatibility. Every time I load Firefox up, I remember why I prefer Chrome. Doesn’t hurt I like the tabs at the VERY top when its maximized; something Firefox still can’t do even in the latest beta (because it has that foolish Firefox button pushing the tab row down.)

Not sure what you mean by it looks dead, but Firefox’s bloated interface made me think it was not dead, but diseased. 😉 Definitely obese. We need to get Firefox on Jenny Craig. Chrome’s that plucky guy you see jogging by every time you look out the window. And he’s already seen you and waving at you all chipper-like before you even knew you were going to see him.

Because he knows everything there is to know about you.

• wira020

Will IE9 have extensions? No?..

I use Firefox most of the time, Opera for some privacy time.. I dont use Chrome since Firefox is already heavy with configuration, I dont want to be burdened to configure Chrome too.. I dont think Chrome look that great either.. I mean it was kinda cute at first, after a while it’d start to look a lil’ dead…

Btw, I dont really buy this speed war between Opera n Chrome n Firefox, I dont have a good connection so it looks like it loads the same for browsers other than IE8..

• Sargent Duck

I don’t think you’re being entirely fair. As we look around at both software and building alarm systems, if someone wants in, they’re going to get in. When you have umpteen of the best crackers trying to break Windows, they will. Microsoft I think has done a fantastic job patching the holes/exploits when they reveal themselves/are found out and have greatly increased security with each new version of Windows/service pack that they release.

They’re certainly far from perfect, but at least they’re trying unlike the other company *cough* that just denies it has security holes.

Microsoft also makes some great security programs as well. Their spy ware detector is quite good and their Windows 7 firewall is very good as well.

Let’s not forget that Microsoft also gets blamed for a lot that isn’t their fault. You can’t blame Microsoft for third party software (Adobe/Nvidia) that crashes Windows, and yet everybody does.

• ClickClick5

If it goes in the internet, I use it.

I don’t live online so personally, I don’t care if a certain browser is two seconds slower at loading a Java app.

• nagashi

My husband, I would agree that win7 is somewhat more secure, but I would *not* agree that MS has a good security record. That’s pretty laughable

• packfan_dave

Forever blacklisting a browser is pointless. If I were inclined to do such a thing, I would have never tried a Netscape-descended product after the Netscape 4.x debacle (yes, I know Firefox was a ground-up rewrite, and one that threw out Mozilla’s UI — that’s why it took so long to get decent). If IE9 is the best browser available when it’s released, there’s no good reason not to use it.

• sweatshopking

also, ms has a pretty good track record for making secure products. it’s the sheer number of users, and products they make that cause the issue. Eg. win 7 is more secure, and microsoft is more concerned about security than osx and apple, my sweet sweet wife.

• sweatshopking

must be. hopefully a hot one.

• nagashi

While CSS3 is important to me personally, I would NOT consider it a reason to never touch IE. Lack of css3 doesn’t really impact end users very much at this point. The main reason still comes down to the fact that it has at virtually every point in its history been a giant gaping security hole. That it is somewhat better now does not change the fact that it’s historically a terrible decision to run it, and even though ie8 may be somewhat better, I simply don’t think MS deserves any trust on this whatsoever.

Running windows is already dangerous enough, but one can mitigate most of the problems simply by using safe programs, which means NOT ie, NOT ms office, NOT adobe flash, and NOT acrobat reader. That’s been true for something like 10 years now, and I just don’t see it changing, nor has MS earned the right to a second chance.

• indeego

Firefox for the forseeable future. Just can’t quite get other browsers @ the level of functionality that I get with Firefox. 4.0 beta1 was crashing on me, but beta2 seems to be behaving, and nice speed improvements. I’m keeping tabs on bottom, and I’m surprised they are moving them up top, it really seemed like an unnecessary changeg{<.<}g

• Meadows

You’re saying nagashi is a wife?

• sweatshopking

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? NO CSS3 SUPPORT? NEVER AGAIN TOUCH THE IE.EXE IN YOUR LIFE. SOMETHINGS CAN NEVER BE FORGIVEN! ask my wife. you say a girls name 1 time in your sleep, in a benign dream, and she NEVER forgets about it…

• ManAtVista

If it’s a good browser it’s a good browser. I’m certainly not going to spend the next 30 years griefing because IE6 didn’t have CSS3 support or whatever, and I don’t think most people are that unreasonable. I see it like IE8=Vista and IE9=Win 7, even though I liked Vista I recognize it was not as polished as it could have been and that Win 7 is much nicer and more polished, and I believe MS can and will do the same thing with IE.

• geekl33tgamer

I’ll only use it again if the inline auto-complete feature is put back in the address bar. I’m not even sure why they took it out in the first place.

Otherwise, on Chrome I shall stay…

• Meadows

He knows the difference between good and bad.

• pedro

I’ve just ‘switched’ back to Firefox 4 on OS X. I’ve had a pretty happy run with Chrome of late but I thought I’d give FF another try and it seems great, even in its current beta phase.

This has nothing to do with IE 9 however, and so I apologize.

• axeman

Yeah, I hear you. After switching to Firefox around IE5/6 (which only really became necessary because of netscape’s rotting corpse) , I wouldn’t really switch to *anything* else. I try other browsers, and they seem fine too. But I’m comfortable with FF, and until it does something to really anger me, I’m not likely to switch.

• axeman

Cue fanboy flame wars!

• nagashi

You’ll actually consider switching? What exactly does a browser have to do to get forever blacklisted by you?

Share this post with your friends!