Chrome 6 beta has cleaned-up UI, Autofill

Google is still pursuing its aggressive release schedule for Chrome, cranking out major new versions faster than you can say, "Hey, shouldn’t this be a point release?" The Chrome 6 beta is now upon us, with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux builds ready to go.

Most noticeable in Chrome 6 is the cleaned-up UI, which changes the toolbar color, removes lines around the buttons, strips the "http://" from the navigation bar, and merges the two menus into a single one—at least in Windows. (The Mac version’s UI elements now look a little less out of place, too.)

There’s more to the new beta than meets the eye. Google has added Autofill, which is just what it sounds like: automatic filling of forms with your personal details. The Chrome 6 beta lets you sync extensions and Autofill information… minus credit card data. Performance has improved, too, with Google quoting increases of 15% in JavaScript benchmarks and 64% in Mozilla’s Dromaeo DOM Core Tests.

Too bad some features apparently didn’t make the cut. CNet News says we might have to wait until the next version for that embedded PDF reader. I can’t complain about a faster, sleeker-looking browser, though.

• dustyjamessutton

I’ve been using Chrome from the dev channel for awhile, and it is perfectly stable for me. No crashes or bugs that I can see, even from the dev version of chrome. As of this post, the dev version is at 6.0.490.1

• BobbinThreadbare

Am I the only person in the world that prefers tabs to always open on the far right?

I might like open just to the right of the current tab, but there is no way to differentiate between parent and child tabs, and even the browser gets confused sometimes and starts all over again.

• odizzido

I do like chrome, but I don’t run it because I haven’t found a flash block that works properly for it.

• eternalmatt

I want http:// back. Or am I just being old-fashioned.

• colinstu

I want it back too.

• Jambe

I thought I wanted it back at first, but if they can indicate a secure connection with a color, I’m fine with it being gone.

… I think.

• BobbinThreadbare

but what about browsing FTP servers? Or gopher, what about that?

• indeego

Mostly, what about copy/pasteg{

• BobbinThreadbare

I just tested it, when you copy it adds the protocol prefix.

• swaaye

I want bookmarks sidebar. I’m pretty sure I’m not entirely alone on that. Chrome is great otherwise.

When maximized do the tabs go all the way to the top of the screen still? I dont’ want to lose vertical space on a 16:9 or 16:10 display. I like the way Chrome 5 combines the tab bar and title bar when maximized; it maximizes the amount of vertical space.

• Arag0n

The only thing I dislike about it is that Chrome has extremly painless updating process. As painless that my browser has updated to the latest beta without asking. While I like the idea, I also like the ability to say, No thanks.

• OneArmedScissor

Turn off the google update plug-in or switch to the standard update channel. I’ve never even had problems with the development versions, though, so I don’t think the beta is really a problem.

• bthylafh

You’ve misconfigured it – apparently you’re actually using the beta channel instead of the stable/release channel.

I just got an update from the stable channel, but it was a very minor one and it’s still in the 5.x series.

• Neutronbeam

Trying it now and liking it so far.

• FuturePastNow

I like Chrome. My only complaint (with v5 and earlier) is that the “status bar” (the thing at the bottom that shows URLs when you hover the cursor over a link) is far too short. It only covers a third of the width of the window, when it should show the entire URL.

I actually consider that to be a bit of a security issue. I will try the beta and see if it is fixed.

• Grape Flavor

What’s this minimalist bull**** that’s all the rage in browsers this days? Even FireFox 4 is going to strip away all the menus and functionality and hide them away in some awkward little cluttered thing.

Sure it’s nice and clean to look at but I for one would find jumping through hoops just to access basic functions like the bookmarks menu infuriating. If this crap isn’t optional Internet Explorer just won one unlikely customer.

Is it just style over function? Like a Mac where you put outdated crap in shiny white plastic and suddenly it’s awesome? Because unless you’re on a netbook and desperately need the vertical space, stripping away functionality and hiding it just to appear less “busy” is just making things a pain for the user.

i take it that you didnt notice the trend in shrinking vertical pixel space. the mainstream now has the same vertical pixelage 10 years ago. You can thank netbooks (1024x*[<600<]*) and "HD" displays (1366x*[<768<]*) for that.

• Grape Flavor

nope, guess I didn’t take that into consideration. Happily cruising along with good old 1920×1200!

• wira020

You can still configure it to show stuff you want with Mozilla.. dunno with Chrome tho..

• Grape Flavor

Yeah I’m not really worried. FireFox is all about customizability so I”m sure one can tailor it to his/her preferences.

And hey, maybe I’ll like the change. I hated the TR makeover at first but I’ve grown to like it so who knows.

• OneArmedScissor

Uh…it seems like the opposite of style over function to me. It’s purely function, instead of a bunch of inane crap getting in the way.

You can’t find the bookmarks?!? There is only one menu – I’ll give you ten guesses which one it’s under.

• Grape Flavor

I’m not saying I’d be unable to find it, it’s just adding another obstacle to efficient usage. I can’t see how you could really take dozens of features neatly categorized into multiple menus and cram them all into one big one, without it being a huge disorganized mess or fall into hidden-branching hell.

The more clicks, the more time taken to access a feature, the worse my user experience.

• djgandy

CTRL+ SHIFT + B

I’m using a “bookmarks menu” add-on for Chrome 5 that puts it on the same “level” as my address bar. A little star I click on to get the full bookmarks menu. I love it.

• Flying Fox

If you have a few frequently visited website you can use and show the Bookmarks bar. For the rest, IMO the search function in the address bar (Chrome and Firefox) usually suffice (alt-d, typing a few characters usually does it, very efficient for me).

• BobbinThreadbare

Ctrl-L is where it’s at

• Usacomp2k3

I’m partial to F6.

• stmok

Well, I’ve set Debian Linux to update Chrome via package manager…

*Checks system updates*

Yeap, there’s the new release! Let’s give it a whirl!

*A minute later*

Hmmm…

They fixed a display issue I had with “clear browser history” dialog window. Things feel slightly faster than v5. Not bad.

• spengler

I remember a time when Opera was the fast, slick new browser. And another time when Phoenix was the fast, slick new browser.

Enjoy it while it lasts, as it’s pretty much a law of the industry that Chrome will become as feature-laden as the others and slowly shed its reputation as a lightweight alternative. The pressure to frequently put out new releases with new features usually trumps arguments against bloat.

• stmok

l[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy<]§ More often than not, most will add features that will result in a notable slowdown to the end-user...Then they'll defend it with "computers are faster with lots of hardware resources" now. (Paraphrased.) I had this very argument with someone recently. They're now cleaning up the mess they've made when they've stuffed lots of crap into their app.

• OneArmedScissor

I don’t think Google cares. What they want is to push HTML 5.0 compatibility and have everyone else scrambling to pick up their “features,” not copy other browsers or pile on features to steal market share. That’s practically impossible. Just look at IE6, still chugging away…

• moog

Chrome is behind IE9 though in terms of HTML5

• djgandy

Released browser vs non released browser.

• indeego

Not to mention it will be years before Microsoft could release a new browser. Google releases them (whether you like it or not) on the flyg{<.<}g

• flip-mode

I wish the window tabs would get pushed all the way up to the top, but, that’s a small gripe.

I do love Chrome though; it is my primary.

• Flying Fox

When maximized you do. However, it seems they took away vertical tabs from previous builds. I really want to try that feature damnit!

• FuturePastNow

Then what would you grab to drag the window around?

• moriz

…the tabs?

what flying fox was saying, is that the top edge of the tabs go all the way to the top of the screen, closing that gap when not maximized. the tabs are still there.

• Skrying

Except you can’t use the tabs to move the window around with removing the functionality to move the tabs around within the window or removing the ability to drag a tab onto the desktop and have it create a new window for that page.

• moriz

use the area directly to the left of the minimize button. just tried it and it works.

if you are talking about the “drag to one side to auto-tile” feature from windows 7, chrome supports it also, even if you are dragging a tab.

• BobbinThreadbare

No, he’s saying if the tabs when all the way to the top there would be no space to the left of the minimize button and you wouldn’t have any good place to grab to move the window around.

• moriz

well, there IS a space left of the minimize button. just tried it myself: opened up a ton of tabs and no matter how many i open, there’s always a spot left of the minimize button.

• BobbinThreadbare

Right, there is now, but there wouldn’t be if the tabs went all the way to the top.

• bdwilcox

Call me when I can dock the Bookmarks as a sidebar.

• Applecrusher

Been using it at home for a while now, love the look and it has barely been crashing!!

• Da_Boss

Mine has been rock solid all day. I also really dig the cleaner interface. It seems faster in about every way as well. All in all, this is a great update, especially for a beta.

• bcronce

barely been crashing? I didn’t know Chrome crashed. So far the only way I’ve seen Chrome crash is when I lose my network connection and my NIC reconfigures. Other than that, I haven’t had Chrome crash in over 6 months.

• bthylafh

The dev-channel builds can be pretty unstable, especially just after a stable release.