Carmack shows Rage running at 60 FPS… on an iPhone

With today’s consoles having caused graphical fidelity in games to plateau, it’s easy to forget what developers like John Carmack are truly capable of. Everyone got a reminder at QuakeCon yesterday, when Carmack showed a version of Rage running at 60 FPS on an iPhone 4. The video pretty much speaks for itself:

According to Joystiq, id Software plans to release the iPhone version of Rage this year—before the full game hits the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. The iPhone game will reportedly be "cheap," and it will also run on the iPhone 3GS and iPad. (Price-wise, something close to Doom Classic‘s $6.99 price tag seems likely.)

What about Android handsets? Joystiq says Carmack is "’spot-surveying’ the Android market to determine if it’s worth supporting," but the id co-founder apparently didn’t make any promises.

• herothezero

Wow. What an utterly pointless demo.

And really, who gives a damn about Rage–Carmack already said it was going to be designed for consoles, so we shouldn’t expect anything good.

#2 is right; I’ll wait for STALKER 2 in 2012 and keep playing Fallout 3 mods in the meantime.

• Rakhmaninov3

I think this is a bit cynical…the sample clips have looked pretty awesome. Even though it’s going to be playable on consoles, it looks like the devs have done really well with what they knew they had to work with, hardware-wise.

• eloj

I don’t think he’s a jackass. I do however think that ‘they’ are seriously overestimating the competitive advantage idtech5 is giving them.

Looking forward to the next Bethesda CRPG though!

(I know this iphone stuff isn’t considered idtech5).

• wiak

this will run so much better on a android based 1Ghz snapdragon phone :p

• ltcommander.data

Actually, I doubt it would. The Snapdragon SoC uses an Adreno GPU which is noticeably slower than a PowerVR SGX. A 1GHz TI OMAP 3630 or similar Android phone with a PowerVR SGX would do it though.

• codedivine

Here is a tweet from Carmack: “The iPhone demo was not “idtech5″ on ios, it was from scratch new code. A tool in rage exported custom data for it.”

(Yes, Carmack is on twitter now at @id_aa_carmack. Hope its not a fake though)

• Shinare

Wouldn’t your fingers get in the way of what you are trying to see/shoot/play?

I already have a pretty big gripe navigating internet links on my touch screen phone with my ginormous man-hands. Using a touch screen to control a FPS seems awkward at the very least.

• ludi

Considering his PC origins, props to Carmack for targeting unconventional platforms…but the demo wasn’t all that impressive. As far as I could see, there were no dynamic shadows, a limited number of lights, no specular lighting, etc…the only thing I saw that was clearly better than a Quake3 engine was the clothing physics on the ravers (but all of whom were affixed to the floor and were more like plants blowing in the wind), and the dynamic range transitions when moving from light to dark areas.

Granted, this was only an early demo, not a release candidate, but Quake3 has already been ported to a wide range of unconventional platforms with similar results, so if this is going to impress, it needs more.

• wira020

No plan for android? Android market share is bigger than iPhone now.. Or is this one of those Android fragmentation problem?..

• SNM

That looks cool, but I had no idea Carmack was such a jackass.
    I mean, seriously. Talk about an ego.

• Meadows

Arrogance has to be earned, and if anyone, he has earned it.

• OneArmedScissor

Remembrance as a genocidal tyrant has to be earned, and if anyone, Hitler has earned it.

Meadows, sweetie, could you pour a little more sugar on the “jackass,” please?

• ludi

Godwin phoned, his meter just exploded.

• Meadows

Invalid argument.

• bjm

What exactly about that video makes him a jackass?

• SNM

He says a number of things like “I love showing this to people and watching their heads explode because nobody can figure out how I did it”.
        ie “Haha I’m the best game programmer in the world!” It may be true but you don’t crow about it to people that you’ve already got watching you like that.

• stmok

Jealous much?

Considering he has been writing commercial games since 1989 and has demonstrated his talent time and again by introducing various technologies into the game industry; I think he has the right to be cocky once in a while.

• sschaem

Do you hate magicians too?

• bjm

I honestly think you are just taking it the wrong way. This is a product of the man’s life work. Nothing wrong with being proud of what he’s accomplished. If anything, it shows me he still finds his work exciting enough to get that worked up about it.

• l33t-g4m3r

How do you get that? Carmack is a genius who thinks outside the box.
      I think he expects more people to be able to program like he does, and then shows disappointment when nobody rises to the challenge.
      I wouldn’t call that being a jackass though.

• Unckmania

I t looks great, but i didn’t see too much detail in the human models or any models. Maybe it’s the compromise they make for having such great textures and lighting.
    And… Can this whole Rage thing hurry up? It’s been so long since they first announced it and now they’re devoting staff to this experimental kind of thing. Why not just finish the PC version, and then move on to everything else. We waited long enough Carmack

• Hattig

I’m surprised nobody has come up with a dock connector controller yet.

The video looks impressive though, for a mobile device especially!

It does look like you’re walking around a rather sparse rave in an abandoned factory.

• Corrado

Someone did. I forget where i saw it, but I did see it.

• End User

Savvy game manufacturers allow you to control iPad games via an iPhone/iPod Touch (Chopper 2).

• kamikaziechameleon

I’d hope he would put it out on the most successful of cellphone OSs

• PenGun

I was looking forward to Rage. I have all id games. I built a machine to run Rage and ya know I expect to be disappointed.

Borderlands is horrible. Metro 2033 suffers too. Consolitis is killing FPS games.

Have fun on your various cheesy devices. I guess I’ll just play Stalker forever.

• Waco

Borderlands and Metro 2033 are suffering from consolitis? :confused:

• SPOOFE

You don’t get it; the fact that consoles exist killed Borderlands and Metro 2033. It has been proven that consoles make people dumber and more likely to be a rapist. On top of that, consoles physically emit radiations that make all PCs in a 100-mile radius perform slower. With all the consoles out there, you now need a Core i7 overclocked to Hades and back to compete with five-year old processor technology. Oh, and consoles are made from the crushed bones of dead orphans.

• sydbot

But there are sooo many stat bars to fill in Borderlands!

I have to say I enjoyed playing the Crysis games more than Borderlands, but I have put far more time into stat based games purely to max them out. All of them. And Borderlands online co-op mode is great fun with friends (when it works) and does not cost me anything (*cough* xbox live! *cough*).

• Anonymous Coward

Excellent, sounds like they might be able to get it running on a netbook. Maybe.

• sweatshopking

you would think. However, having played a number of fps on my ipod, I have come to the realization, that THEY ALL SUCK. touch screens make awful game controllers for anything other than “fly teh airplanes over here” seriously. I can’t imagine paying 6.99 for this game. the Sony psp android thing looks interesting BECAUSE and only BECAUSE of the improved controller. I don’t know why anyone would want to play a game like this on a 3 inch iphone anyway…

• wiak

you can play doom 3 on a netbook but only on those that does NOT have intel crapstics in them :p