Android-powered 10-inch Eee Pad won’t be out until next March

Rumors do miss the mark sometimes. Take that story about Asus ditching Windows Embedded Compact 7 for its 10" Eee Pad. PC World has now gotten fresh details about the Eee Pad product roadmap from Asus’ CEO, and as it turns out, the truth is a little different.

Asus CEO Jerry Shen said there will actually be three Eee Pads. The 12", Windows 7-powered Eee Pad EP121 will be out first in December or January; the 10" model is coming in January with Windows Embedded Compact 7 as planned; and a third, cheaper model based Google’s Android OS will follow in March. That device will reportedly cost "less than $399," compared to $399-499 for the Windows Embedded device and a hefty $1,000 for the EP121.

Those releases aren’t exactly imminent, and according to PC World, Shen doesn’t want to rush things. The CEO noted, "If you want to compete with the iPad, you have to do more than just be less expensive. . . . You have to offer more features. We want to spend more time perfecting the [Eee Pad] before we launch. We’re looking more at Q1 to launch the devices."

The EP121 admittedly isn’t much of an iPad competitor, since it’s supposed to run Win7 Home Premium on an Intel Consumer Ultra-Low Voltage platform.  We’ve been told that it might ship with a docking station that transforms the slate into a full-fledged laptop, too. The novelty factor might not justify a $1,000 price tag, but I’d certainly be interested to play with the finished product.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m gonna probably get the android tablet for under 400 because That sounds more like something I’d be interested in. I hope the android one has tegra 2.

• TO11MTM

I guess the one thing I don’t get about all of this is, What about all of the rather-decent Netbook/Tablets out now? I picked up a Lenovo S10-3T this weekend and once I took care of the asnine RAM config (Switched the 1GB module for a 2GB) the thing runs pretty freaking smooth.

I suppose the two big factors are:

1: Battery life just isn’t there yet. I get 4 hours or so on this unit, doing web browsing and the like. There’s upgraded batteries, but this wasn’t a huge factor to me.
    2: Touch-interface optimized applications for the PC Just aren’t all that plentiful yet. I’m hoping this gets alleviated by the fact Touch-enabled PCs are getting more common…

• shank15217

[delete this]

• SomeOtherGeek

Geez! I gave up waiting and just got a Kindle. Looking forward to it.

• End User

What the heck! How can this be so hard?

I love my iPad but I would also love to have a cool Android/Chrome OS dual boot tablet. I was hoping ASUS could sell me one this year. Oh well.

• Farting Bob

If youve already got an ipad why would you want another tablet? They are already fairly limited in what you can use them for (compared to laptops), having 2 seems excessive.

• End User

I want to stay current with emerging tech. It helps on the job front.

The iPad and the iPhone have replaced my laptops for the most part. I rarely use my MacBook Pro anymore and my 1201N is my Ubuntu testbed. I’d say 50% of my screen time is now on iOS devices. I tie them into a remotely accessible server that handles certain tasks via web front ends. In addition I can remote in via SSH.

• shank15217

Doesn’t’ seem like you ever did much with your computer to begin with if you were able to replace a keyboard and mouse with an ipad.

• End User

If you think that a physical keyboard and a mouse define how productive/useful a device is then you are living in the past.

• ColdMist

Ok, if they did this as a 8-10″ slate, running Linux or Win7, where I could install Synergy on it, and have a stand for it next to my monitors, I could put on the stand and use my desktop mouse/keyboard to control it. Then, when I walk away (gyros notice movement), have it kill the Synergy and return to normal.

Wouldn’t that be awesome??? Use it as an extra screen for a computer, with full keyboard/mouse input, or a slate when away from the PC.

Why won’t they do something like this?

• ryko

too bad that no one can even get out an ipad competitor yet.

now they price the win7 tablet un-reasonably for a tablet device. you can get pretty high-end laptop for $1000….just skip the docking station and give us a reasonably priced win7 tablet at $600 or less please. also the android tablet should be < $300.

and umm we want it yesterday.

• PcItalian

Wow, something I was actually looking forward too, too. That goes for a sad face 🙁