A Google Chrome OS slate could launch on Black Friday

If we’re to believe the rumor mill, a Google-branded, Chrome OS-powered slate device will venture forth onto store shelves this coming Black Friday—that’s November 26, if you haven’t already marked the date on your calendar. The news comes to us from Download Squad, which bases its story on an anonymous source.

Download Squad says HTC will manufacture the device, and Google will offer it in collaboration with Verizon. On the hardware side of things, the Google slate could be relatively well-endowed:

It’ll likely be based on NVidia’s Tegra 2 platform and sport a 1280×720 multitouch display, 2GB of RAM, minimum 32GB SSD, WiFi/Bluetooth/3G connectivity, GPS, webcam, and possibly expandable storage via a multi-card reader. Expect it to be every bit as geek-tastic as the Nexus One — Google won’t want to disappoint its early adopters.

Evidence definitely points to Chrome OS hitting the streets this fall. The folks at 1UP broke the news on Monday that the Chrome Web Store is "set to launch this October." From what I can tell, the service will have much in common with the Android Market and iTunes App Store, just with web applications instead of native software.

Thanks to the UI concepts Google posted on the Chromium Projects site a while back, we have an idea of what the rumored Chrome OS slate could look like: a big, iPad-like contraption with a web browser for a home screen. Of course, if the price is right—and it could be, if Verizon subsidizes the thing—that might be all shoppers need to sate their impulse buy, er, impulses.

• wira020

I dont really like Chrome OS so far.. havent try it yet but i know i cant depend on web app in my country.. internet is not very good here…

• albundy

how do you get 1280×720 on a square screen? or are my eyes deceiving me?

• glynor

Those specs are all bunk. Actually, the whole story almost certainly is, but the guy at Download Squad now admits that he completely fabricated the listed specs out of thin air. The photo is a render.

This is a wishlist, not a product.

• glynor

This story is apparently all crap. Engadget has posted a couple of updates:

§[<http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/chrome-os-tablets-coming-from-google-and-verizon-on-black-friday/<]§ l[

• Sargent Duck

Perhaps someone can clarify/verify this, but by *[< with web applications instead of native software.<]* does this mean that in order to use said applications, you'd have to be connected the whole time? So if I were say, on a train and went into a tunnel, I'd lose the ENTIRE functionality of my slate? Let's say I'm in the middle of no-where and want to use this as an .mp3 player. Do I have to be connected to use a media player?

• glynor

Reply fail.

• provoko

Looks nice, better to wait and see though.

• Shining Arcanine

Am I the only person who thinks that a tablet should not have anything to do with your phone company? Also, does this talk of Verizon subsidizing these mean that it is a fancy cellphone?

• Peldor

It’s likely tablets will be offered with and without 3G data capability, much like the iPad. It’s also likely one of the phone companies will offer a contract price on the hardware for 3G service.

If you think no tablets should have 3G service, then yes, you probably are alone. If you think *your* tablet doesn’t need 3G service, then no, all those wifi iPad users are right there with you.

My guess is that most tablets would not offer conventional phone service, but potentially could do Skype.

• gerbilspy

web cam means video conferencing, so maybe this will work–if the price is right

• potatochobit

WAY too early to be talking about black friday, bro
    now you are making me wonder what I should save up for, but it’s way too early

• provoko

Black Friday is better spent using the stuff I already bought.

• sweatshopking

I don’t personally want an internet browser only. I don’t see the value of this, vs an android OS, or hopefully ubuntu 11.04, with multitouch support. It seems to me, that besides booting quicker, which I’m not concerned with, Android seems to do all this and more… Doesnt chrome run on android?

Neely, seperate note, I replied to your “downloading music comment” from verizon.

• glynor

Agreed. I suspect that ChromeOS will not be as successful as Google hopes, without native apps.

They should really settle on Android and worry about making that pristine.

• StashTheVampede

Ship the device, apps will come.