Back-to-school savings hit AMD CPU price list

AMD quietly cut processor prices earlier this week. According to motherboard industry sources quoted by DigiTimes (and general common sense), this latest round of discounts is an attempt by AMD to defend its turf against competition from Intel. Here’s a quick summary of the pricing changes for desktop CPUs:

Old price New price Discount
Phenom II X4 925 $145 $145
Phenom II X4 945 $145 $145
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition $165 $145 $20
Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition $185 $165 $20
Phenom II X6 1055T $199 $199
Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition $295 $295

Only a handful of processors have seen their prices cut, and the discounts apply almost exclusively to the top speed grades for each class of CPU. Those looking to build a quad-core system on the cheap should be pleased to see the Athlon II X4 640’s price fall to just $100. Also, $20 off the Phenom II X4 Black Edition CPUs is a nice touch. The prices of AMD’s six-core Phenom II X6 CPUs remain unchanged, however.

The above prices only apply to “direct” AMD customers buying CPUs in trays of 1000, but the savings should start trickling down to street prices. The Phenom II X4 965, for example, had already dropped to $165.99 at Newegg.

• Kratu

This is awesome! Intel has to do something about this but probably they won’t since 955BE+790GX was a better choice than i3/i5x2(apart from i5 661)+H55 even before the pricedrop yet people never saw it. This is realy bad for AMD.

• NeelyCam

To me, i5/H55 was a better choice.

• albundy

that’s hysterical! i paid the new price of the 955be back in July of last year. nice to see it hasn’t lost value. no need to upgrade to 6 cores just yet. maybe when 8 cores come out…

• paulWTAMU

such significant discounts those are…

• NeelyCam

I’m mainly wondering: when is AMD going to make some real money?

• Creech

Looks like it’s about time for an upgrade. Too bad it would mean everything else in my system would be a bottleneck. Oh well, I guess that means I’ll just have to start plotting how I’m going to save enough for a new system.

• flip-mode

The X4 955 BE for $145 is quite nice. It’s two weeks short of a year now since I paid $195 for mine, and I’m a little surprised prices have not dropped more than they have.

• OneArmedScissor

Intel’s “answer” to AMD for about the last year has been more butchered $100 Core 2s, $200 Core i5 dual-cores to get anything truly set apart from a Core 2, and $1,000 six-cores. I’m surprised they’re dropping at all.

• KarateBob

Still no mention of a $230ish 1075T Black Edition 🙁

• OneArmedScissor

They’re trying to clear out old stock first by just “lowering” prices, instead of announcing the new replacements at the top at the same time. There are a lot of CPUs which were EOLed a long time ago which are still available, so they have to do something to keep them from piling up.

There have been online listings for the X6 1075T BE for a little bit now. It’s coming, along with a faster version of basically everything else and a cheaper 95w TDP X6.

• NeelyCam

95W X6… you know, even I am tempted.

AMD is catching up, and Intel has no other growth options except moving to new markets.. cell phones and….. antivirus applications?

• jdaven

I might buy the Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition for $93. I hope to unlock the other 2 cores and overclock to around 3.6 GHz without raising the voltage. That would be a killer chip for the price.

• SomeOtherGeek

Or you can be nice to AMD and just give them an extra 50 bucks for the real X4?

• jdaven

They have enough of my money already since my last 3 processors and video cards have been AMD/ATI post merger.

Just to deflect criticism, I have also bought Nvidia and Intel processors in the past as well.

• l33t-g4m3r

Really? I’ll laugh after it doesn’t unlock, and you waste $93.

• NeelyCam

*nevermind – deleting the obvious*

• sluggo

I’ve bought three of these processors and am 3-for-3 so far on successful unlocks with the 750 and 850 SBs. Two of the machines were overclocked to 3.5 GHz just to put them over the speed of the 965, the third is running at stock.

MicroCenter runs deals on these paired with a decent motherboard for just over $110 for the package. A no-brainer for gaming on the cheap.

• Kurotetsu

A 3Ghz quad-core for $100? That absolutely sucks for AMD, but is absolutely awesome for consumers. Too bad I can’t buy one without completely rebuilding my comp. >_<

• OneArmedScissor

Somehow, I don’t think having a compelling product in one of the most popular price ranges sucks for AMD even in the very, very, very slightest.

• UberGerbil

It only sucks if they aren’t turning a profit on it.

• NeelyCam

• NeelyCam

If you upgrade, you probably want to upgrade everything anyway. Faster memory, SSD, huge HDD, quiet PSU…

Everytime I pick up a new CPU I find myself building a new rig altogether, while the old one goes to a friend/family/nonprofit.. Gotta have hobbies.