Amazon now sells TV episodes for 99 cents each

We wrote yesterday about the new Apple TV, which lets users rent TV episodes for 99 cents a pop. That might sound like a pretty sweet deal, but it appears Amazon already has Apple beaten there. As Engadget reports, the online retailer now lets users buy TV episodes for the same 99-cent price.

Amazon’s 99-cent TV episodes, which are all from ABC and Fox, are already available as on-demand streams in either standard or high definition. Like with the Apple offer, SD and HD shows cost the same. Right now, offerings include Futurama, Doctor Who, Glee, Lost, Bones, Grey’s Anatomy, 24, Arrested Development, The Simpsons, and more.

As Engadget points out, Roku has cut the prices of its Apple TV-esque Netflix and Amazon streaming box. The SD machine now has a $59 price tag, and the HD version sells for $99.99 at Amazon, or about the same price as the Apple TV. Apparently, Apple already has rather stiff competition.

• kamikaziechameleon

I guess the ultimate question is why pay 50-100 a month for HD cable?

netflix at 10 per month has way more to offer.

• moose17145

Futurama?!? Oh snap!

• nightmorph

Gimme Discovery Channel and I’m sold. Mythbusters in HD for less than a buck? They’d get a fair chunk of my change.

• paulWTAMU

I want my Star Trek series available this way 🙁 *cry*
    Oh, and old bugs bunny cartoons

• OneArmedScissor

Wow, that’s actually roughly equivalent to the price per episode of old DVDs (at least of some of those shows), but new and in higher quality. It’s…REASONABLE?!?!?!?

Still waiting for someone to catch that that’s not how it’s working out with music downloads…

• Peldor

Looks like the net is finally going to give us the real ‘a la carte’ that cable/satellite never did.

It’s really going to be tempting to axe the $70 satellite bill and buy 20 or so episodes of stuff a month.

• Sargent Duck

Not bad pricing, pretty competitive with DVD’s (Assuming 24 episodes in a season and the average DVD season in Canada being $30). Of course, I’ve seen/picked up season DVD’s for as low as $14 (Arrested Development) and crazy high ($60 for ST: TOS).

So I guess $1/episode of new tv shows is pretty good. I’ll still prefer my hard copy DVD’s…I’m funny like that. Something about proudly showing off my DVD collection. (Same goes with buying retail games)

• SomeOtherGeek

I’m the same with you on that. I just like something to touch.

• kumaiti

That is a very nice way to try to counter the sharing of TV series, too bad it is only for the USA, which is a small fraction of the “pirating world”.

I would gladly pay $1 for the series I like but I can’t because I am outside the USA.

• khands

This is good to see, although now TV is worth less than music?

• albundy

now now, lets not jump to conclusions. this is public tv shows we are talking about. They’d have to pay me the dollar to watch their garbage. and why pay when you can watch it for free on hulu anyway? I’d probably charge them $100 per episode if i’m forced to watch reality shows!

• OneArmedScissor

No, music is as overpriced as ever. DVDs have cost as much or less than CDs for ages.

• Skrying

I would disagree. A CD from a band I like costs me about $12. A DVD for a season of TV series I like costs me about $30. I get more personal value from the CD. TV and movies are just an expensive medium for what they deliver. But maybe I’m odd. I rather recline back and listen to a CD than watch a episode of TV.

• ShadowTiger

These are rentals… you buy music, but you are not allowed to own this tv content, it doesn’t get stored on your hard drive (unless you capture it : P )

• khands

Unlimited lifetime downloads is ~= ownership.

• A_Pickle

I’m going to restate the wise words of my cousin, on why anti-piracy measures for static media are pointless:

“It has to get output sometime!”

If I want, the $0.99 TV episodes from Amazon can be stored on my hard drive.