AMD to take stand against laptop stickers

If you’ve read our reviews, chances are you’ve seen us complain about laptop stickers—or praise certain PC vendors for using fewer than their counterparts. The New York Times’ David Pogue seems to share the same view; his latest column denounces laptop stickers for being tasteless and hard to peel off, and he laments the amount of marketing dollars that go behind them.

His story includes an interesting little tidbit, though. AMD is apparently planning to take a stand against the trend of turning laptop palm rests into promotional billboards:

In 2011, A.M.D. will switch to new stickers that peel off easily, leaving no residue; after that, it’s considering eliminating the sticker program altogether. In the meanwhile, it’s going to make affixing its stickers optional. If a computer company chooses not to use the A.M.D. stickers, A.M.D. will still pay it the same marketing dollars to use in other ways.

That’d certainly be a nice gesture, although to be fair, the Vision sticker on recent AMD laptops could be the least of your worries. Take the palm rest of the Toshiba T235D we reviewed earlier this week:

Not pictured: the giant Toshiba T235D sticker on the right side of the palm rest and the Skype sticker near the power button. It’d sure be nice to make all of those easy-peel.

• Rakhmaninov3

The worst part for me is that whoever sticks them on doesn’t have any concept of what parallel lines look like — they’re always crooked and sloppily applied. If they straightened them out a little they wouldn’t be such an eyesore.

• jstern

Reminds me of the time I bought some newer version of the stickers on my Inspiron 8200 from eBay.

2003 Laptop, higher res, superior screen than any laptop I’ve seen since. That really pisses me off.

• dustyjamessutton

AMD might want to consider making their logo stickers scratch-n-sniff. I wonder what it would smell like…..

• Welch

Anyone who is going to complain about stickers needs to just get the heck over it…. They come right off and if its a big deal you take a paper towel with a little bit of rubbing alcohol on it and it takes the sticky residue right off.

Nit picking at this level detracts from more important stupid choices that vendors/manufacturers make… like low resolution screens or crappy keyboards.

• End User

Stickers are a blight. Whoever came up with the idea should be shot. I absolutely despise them.

• Flying Fox

As has been said before rubbing alcohol could still leave residues on some plastic surfaces. Or it could ruin the colour with darker (or lighter) patches where the solvent touches.

• clone

no actually we shouldn’t have to “get over it”.

the stickers are a pain in the ass to remove, the effort can potentially mark the surface of my brand new laptop because some asshole decided I needed to buy a billboard reminding me every minute what exactly I bought.

I’d be perfectly ok if they placed the stickers on the bottom for future reference in case I was formatting and needed some quick info…… but the stickers aren’t even that useful and as mentioned they place right where I wish they weren’t.

• Farting Bob

The first laptop i had was an HP i think. I remember it featured 6 stickers which took up a sizeable chunk of the left side of the palmrest. The intel sticker was even sunk into the laptop slightly in its own recess, it looked weird after i removed it.

• Imperor

I really hate stickers! I live a life as free of commercials as humanly possible (while still living in a moder urbanized community). I NEVER buy clothes with brands on them, a small (<1″) mark can be ok on a bag or jacket if it’s not too intrusive on the design, but that’s mostly because there are NO alternatives. ๐Ÿ™
    Stickers are MENT to be removed! Leaving them on is like leaving the price-tag on a piece of garment! ๐Ÿ˜›
    (Don’t you just hate the retards who keep the freakin’ size-sticker on their baseballcaps just because they’re made in “gold” or “silver”?)

ADS, ADS, ADS!!! Kill รจm all! ๐Ÿ˜€

• potatochobit

the stickers on demos would be fine…
    if they actually meant something

the vision tiers are fine but most people dont know what they mean
    needs a number

• Sahrin

Meh…I’m all for less stickers, but what self-respecting geek doesn’t have a bottle of 99% isopropyl for just such an occasion?

• HisDivineShadow

Stickers don’t bother me as long as they’re on the right side. If they’re on the left side where my hand’s going to be, they got to go. I use a mouse with my laptop (because I hate touchpads, eraserheads, and trackballs), so if the sticker’s on the right side, its not in my way. Most of the time.

I think removing the stickers should SAVE them money. In which case, they can lower the price of the laptop. Right? RIGHT? Haha, yeah right.

• EsotericLord

I personally leave the stickers on my electronics if they arent intrusive. That way if I decide to resell it, I can go “see how good the condition is? It’s even still got the stickers.”

Still, I suppose I dont care either way.

• Lianna

Well, if you don’t like stickers, you peel it off in under a minute and three minutes later, after using ‘Label Killer’ thing to clean the residue, you’re done. You buy ‘Label Killer’ – or whatever it’s called in your country – once for hundred different uses and it costs less than you save on one laptop by buying it with stickers.

But stickers don’t bother me at all. In last six years I had just one that started to peel off by itself (not pretty anymore…) after more than a year of laptop use.

• burntham77

Someone please explain what is wrong with the stickers?

My wife’s AMD laptop has them and they never get in my way when I use it, nor does she complain or care about them.

I’d be ok with them giving us sticks on a little sheet, like they had in the old GI Joe toys.

• Peldor

People are uptight.

e.g.: It’s easy for AMD to take a stand against laptop stickers, most laptops have Intel stickers anyway.

• xii

Because you become a billboard for a company. You freely advertise that company. For many people, including myself, to endorse or affiliate with a company or organisation isn’t something to be taken lightly… it’s a moral matter of sorts. I prefer not to stand for anything, especially by default or by corporate underhandedness. Plus, there is just too much commercial crap everywhere destroying all aesthetic design and appeasing visuals. Maybe being a billboard dumping ground works for Las Vegas or New York, but there’s something terribly sad about standing on a nice European style square surrounded by ancient buildings but littered with tons of desperate screaming ads.

Same with laptops… Why litter a good design with ugly meaningless stickers?

• bill94el

Lighten up Francis…it’s just a sticker that can be removed. No billboards here…move along.

• cphite

Yeah, they’re annoying… but a “moral” matter? Really?

Peel them off and use a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol to remove the remaining glue. If you’re careful you can remove any trace of the sticker ever being there.

• odizzido

This could save me a couple mins of peeling them off I guess.

• TechNut

Hmmm, do you think that it’s.. Energy Star Compliant??

• HisDivineShadow

I think that’s a definitely maybe, sorta, probably, eh. If only that laptop had a sticker telling us, we’d know for certain. We need moar stickers. Moar! There’s plenty of space left on the handwrest there and a touchpad just waiting to become an advertisement for diapers, too. That’s the next generation of advertising.

Touchpads with LCD’s built in that advertise products. Perhaps every 15 minutes, your LCD blinks and switches away from whatever you’re doing on your PC to an advertisement for tampons.

• ronch

I think this Energy Star compliance stuff on PCs has become meaningless. Better if they can come up with a similar logo to put on cars that meet fuel economy standards, THEN that would really be helpful for us since fuel prices have a tendency to just shoot up like all the oil wells have dried up.

• Spotpuff

Yes, please. Great idea.

• willmore

I’m not sure I understand why they put stickers on laptops at all.

For display purposes–at a store–I can see their value. It’s advertising features of the device on display. In this case, just include the stickers in the packaging and the store personnel who setup the laptop can apply them.

For a home user, you already bought the laptop, you don’t need to keep staring at stickers. What, are they hoping that you’ll become loyal to a brand because a device you own has a sticker on it?

I think AMD should include a small bottle of GoofOff sticker remover with AMD branding on it. Hell, include it with non-AMD laptops, too. ๐Ÿ™‚ Mua ha ha!

“My Intel and nVidia stickers came right off with that nice AMD sticker remover. AMD is such a nice company to help me like that!”

• thermistor

Stickers on lappies suck. I have to admit I remove stickers from everything, monitors, cases, etc. But I also remove *every* dealer logo from every car I’ve owned and am amazed that more people don’t…some ride around for years with a cheesy dealer decal and license plate frame – yuck! Heat gun here I come.

• dpaus

I once sued a dealer for putting one on my car without my permission. Of course, those were the days when they actually drilled holes to screw them on. As soon as I filed, they backed down and ordered another car for me.

• eternalmatt

I have a GX630 and I don’t see what the big deal is. If anything, the stickers help prevent from massive fingerprint spots.

• KarateBob

I’d rather shave $30 off the retail price and deal with a couple of stickers. People are such crybabies.

• Firestarter

Yeah, same goes for the crapware. I mean, even though driver hunting can be a bit of a pain, I don’t think I’d be comfortable without a fresh install.

• l33t-g4m3r

If they do it right, it doesn’t look bad, unlike the above picture.
    Personally, I like certain stickers, like the radeon logo.

• Jigar

OMG, the world is safe now… Thanks AMD.

• ronch

Off to the pub, everyone. The beer’s on me.

• jdaven

Even though this is trivial in some ways, I welcome the change and have another reason to buy AMD over the competition that will not be named.

• flip-mode

There is irony in the fact that it takes additional energy to produce those energy star stickers.

• djgandy

Just like when “Please think of the environment before you print this email” comes out on its own page.

• indeego

I’ve always found that the sticker you remove can perfectly remove the sticky backing left on the laptop.

Intel’s stickers come off cleanly, Windows and other manufacturer stickers are a PITAg{<.<}g

• BiffStroganoffsky

Don’t the stickers make the laptop run faster!?!

• Deanjo

They most certainly do. It’s just like racing stripes on a car. I recently upgraded my 13″ B/W tv to a full 1080p capabilities just by using one of the stickers attached to a flatscreen at Best Buy.

• Joerdgs

Please god yes. Took days to get my GX640 clear of the most awful stickers.

• sweatshopking

ever hear of rubbing alcohol? or how about methylated spirits? nail polish remover? pretty much ANY solvent? I can see this being slightly annoying, but it’s really not that big a deal. anyone with 5 minutes and a bottle of common house hold cleaners can do this no problem.

• Deanjo

Rubbing alcohol can make the situation even worse with some of the porous plastics out there. You end up with a black mess of residue embedded in to the plastic.

• Voldenuit

Not a panacea. Have a Thinkpad with rubberised palmrest, so solvents are probably not a good idea. I did manage to remove all the stickers without leaving any residue, though.

• ronch

Perhaps they should give you a sticker album for free when you buy a laptop to put all those stickers in.

• emvath

Or better yet why don’t they just give you the stickers seperately and if for some stupid reason you wanted them on your laptop you could put them on yourself. Or I could use them in my Dora the Explorer Adventure Book!

• ronch

Well, maybe because peeling the stickers is fun?

Um, no, that’s probably not it.

• crose

Ban the energy star sticker! In this frickin’ age and time, if it isn’t energy efficient enough don’t fudging bother selling it.

• A_Pickle

Besides the fact that horribly INEFFICIENT devices can get Energy Star certifications, so… it doesn’t actually mean anything. :/

• OneArmedScissor

It would be much better if there were a poor power efficiency warning sticker. Ironically, they’d be a perfect fit for all the “80%+” 1,000w PSUs.

• OneArmedScissor

The energy star stickers are the stupidest thing in the world. Wtf makes one laptop energy star compliant and another of the same make not? They all use way less power than any desktop and the difference between even one with a video card and one without is usually only a few watts. Kill it with fire.

• Tamale

I like the irony of using all those resources to make stickers and affix them to certify that something uses less resources.

• maxxcool

thats good enough for me… i effin hate those things

• 5150

Yawn. Call me when laptops are made out of stickers.

• sweatshopking

CALL ME WHEN /[

• OneArmedScissor

Hello, Mr. sweatshopking? I’m calling to inform you that you are made out of stickers – sticker burrs, to be precise. You have the worst mutant power of all time, even worse than the guy from X-Men who had giant maggots that burst out of his stomach. Congratulatory ape.