Google begins rolling out instant search

If results start popping up instantly the next time you type into the Google search box, don’t be alarmed. You’re looking at the new Instant Search feature, which Google has begun rolling out to some users signed into Google accounts.

The new feature basically lets you forgo hitting the enter key (or clicking the search button, if you’re that kind of person), although it works only on newer browsers: Chrome 5, Firefox 3, Safari 5, Internet Explorer 8, and anything more recent. You also need to be checking the U.S., British, French, German, Italian, Spanish, or Russian version of the Google portal. At least with the U.S. portal, a bigger version of the Google logo heralds the change.

Lest you think Google is merely catering to the lazy, the search giant claims Instant Search can save two to five seconds per search. Extrapolating, it adds, "If everyone uses Google Instant globally, we estimate this will save more than 3.5 billion seconds a day. That’s 11 hours saved every second." Too bad I usually initiate searches straight from my browser’s address bar—I could use a few seconds of saved time.

• xii

Impressive, gimmicky, and probably not very efficient. I’m not sure this is really interesting to any regular person (as opposed to a handful of AJAX geeks)…

• Richie_G

I’m using it, and I quite like it. More often than not I get what I’m looking for before I’ve finished typing it. Whether it would be quicker than the old style with suggestions and auto-complete I’ll leave to someone else to figure out.

• moog

Doing this on mobile is probably a bad idea.

Wastage of battery for a half baked search… and I think your radio tx/rx chews up considerable juice.

• odizzido

this seems like an annoying feature…I haven’t tried it yet but I doubt I am going to like it.

• mockingbird

Big deal. I’ve been using this feature on Yahoo for ages.

• Tamale

no, you haven’t. this is the entire search results page for each letter you type.

• Buub

Welcome late to the party, Google. Yahoo! has had this for at last a year and a half already.

• Tamale

um.. nope.

This isn’t just a suggestion, it’s an entire search result page for the suggested completion of what you’ve already typed so far.

• ShadowTiger

Hopefully this doesn’t work in Opera as it would be pretty annoying. In any case it doesn’t work yet, and I doubt it will save me any time since I am very good at doing google searches I don’t need to compare different pages.

• potatochobit

I dont really like this feature

I hate the firefox wonderbar or whatever and I have it disabled as well

• dinker

Maybe it`s because I`ve just installed the Firefox 4 Beta 5 but I can no longer disable auto-suggest, no setting in the Prefs page,

• cmrcmk

It doesn’t seem to work from iGoogle, though. With iGoogle as my homepage, I never see the vanilla google page any more.

• indeego

Google.com and all subdomains blocked for scripting. Seems to work fine. The only thing I trust google with are search results, thanksg{

• flip-mode

Gimmick.

• HisDivineShadow

Poor Microsoft. Any time they think they’re about to catch up, Google zooms ahead of them again. Without Cashback, Bing is the little engine that can’t. But if MS would bring back Cashback, I’d use them sometimes, which is better than the never I do now.

• UberGerbil

g[

• HisDivineShadow

I admit, this is true. I’m hoping that they find a way to incorporate this into Chrome to greater degree than the predictive engine is already capable.

That said, going to Google.com to see it in action, it is pretty cool. I just love tab to search on Chrome way too much to go back to searching from the google page though. And Chrome is really quick at picking up which sites can support tab to search once you’ve been there once or twice. Pretty handy.

• swampfox

l[

• ludi

/[

• TaBoVilla

I have to type tabovill to actually get suggested tabovilla as a search result.

It’s my goal to knock a few letters off that in the near future, like typing lind to get lindsay lohan or par for paris hilton. Now I just need to figure what crime to commit…

• Convert

I turned that crap off right away, I am glad they have an option to disable it.

The idea that it saves a minimum of 2 seconds is bull, it doesn’t take me 2 seconds to hit the enter key. It also wastes time as I deleted what I had changed the search to and instead of returning me to my original search it blanked it out completely. I had to start the search over again.

• bcronce

if it’s taking you that long to type in a search string, you’re doing it wrong.

• BKA

Am I missing something? Hasn’t Google been doing this for a long time?

• BKA

Nevermind, its the results.

• xtalentx

I thought the same thing at first. Hitting that pesky enter key is just such a hassle. I for one will be glad to have that 1/3rd of a second back in my life!

• drfish

No love for Opera! 🙁

• BKA

Nope, not yet. But I suspect it won’t be long.

• HisDivineShadow

Opera’s compatibility bite it in the butt again? Try Chrome. Everything great about Opera can be found in Chrome via base or added via an extension and it’s either faster or will be faster in the near future.

Plus, Google is a great friend to have. The Big G only wants your personal information, searches, pictures, friends, what you buy and how often you buy it info, telephone msgs and numbers, your social security number and your other financial information to store handily, and your pet’s name to help you. It wants to know what you want to search before you know you want to search for it. Google is so friendly it wants to store you digitally. And when you want something? Digital You by Google will have it already waiting. With an ad (that you can suppress with a handy extension). If Skynet had a friendly, even cheerful personality, it’d be the future of Google.

Google is like Big Brother, but a cross between Big Brother (and Sisters) and Big Brother from 1984. It wants to know everything you are, but it’s only there to help. And serve ads and relevant links that might net it a side profit. Because helping you is helping it is helping you. Is helping it.

• Farting Bob

Google only wants information that might help it sell more ads at me, and since i block all ads they are free to waste their time in that regard. Oh and you dont think any other big website run by a corporation does exactly the same thing?

• SomeOtherGeek

Are you talking about God?

• BlackStar

More like Google’s poor programming but hey.

• cphite

Careful, or Google will delete your backup…

• dustyjamessutton

Soon google will be saying, “I’m sorry, but I can’t let you do that…”

• Dually

My instant concern was what might pop up when the kiddos are searching…

So I tested by typing in “hardcore”, which brings up no results and tells you to press enter to search.

Thank you for that consideration, Google.

• BlackStar

Nice touch!

• UberGerbil

I’m sure they’re applying your safesearch settings as well. That said, I bet somebody somewhere will find a landmine search term that does exactly what you fear it would.

• Meadows

Should’ve brought up hardcore trance.

• TaBoVilla

Then again, google is not that good of a pron search engine..