Adobe resumes development of Flash to iPhone tool

Yesterday, we said Apple’s newly lifted ban on third-party iOS development tools could let Adobe resume work on its Flash CS5 to iOS porting tool. Well, wouldn’t you know it. Adobe announced this morning that it "will now resume development work on this feature for future releases."

As Adobe points out, the Packager for iPhone tool is already available as part of Flash Professional CS5. The company giddily notes that apps based on the Packager "are already being approved for the App Store," although it doesn’t name any names.

Of course, Adobe goes on to note that Apple still doesn’t allow in-browser Flash on the iPhone—lest you got the wrong impression from yesterday’s announcement. In-browser Flash is already up and running on Android devices, but iPhone and iPad users still have to make do with alternative, usually HTML5-based versions of Flash-based web services, if those are available. Not all Android users are all that thrilled with Flash support to begin with, though.

• DarkUltra

Adobe’s flash products are 100% proprietary, and they are running as “an app in an app.” Does this mean more overhead and difficult to optimize the browser code to a platform? How about hardware acceleration of the UI items of the browser? If HTML5 can do everything flash can do, in addition to multichannel video, isn’t HMTL5 much better?

Please see the iAd HTML5 ads on iphone 4. It looks very smooth, interactive, responsive and hardware accelerated:
    §[<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7WVt63S49s<]§

• LoneWolf15

What with the iPhone still limited to AT&T, I say meh.

Of course, there’s all the hoopla about an iPhone supposedly coming out Q1 of `11 for Verizon, but I still feel like with an iPhone, you’re very constrained due to Apple’s control over app development too.

So far, in 48 hours, I’ve managed to find a (legally) free app for every task I wish to accomplish on Android.

• blastdoor

Looks to me like Apple is feeling some competitive pressure from Android to play nicer with developers. As an iPhone user, my only concern is having high quality apps at a low price for my iPhone. It’s not clear to me that this pressure from developers is necessarily a good thing for me as a user, but hopefully it will be.

• Willard

The last thing I want on my iphone is adobe bloated constant updating.

• Voldenuit

I wish all smartphones would implement something like Flashblock that would let users choose whether or not to spend (or waste) the battery life on a Flash window.

• BlackStar