7-inch tablet display in development at Pixel Qi

The more I use my notebook, the more I wish its screen was readable in outdoor lighting and, ideally, direct sunlight. I’d want to same from a tablet, which is why I’ve been following the development of Pixel Qi’s display technology, which includes a reflective mode that plays well in sunlight and cuts power usage.

Back in July, Pixel Qi started selling replacement screen kits for a selection of netbooks. The same 10.1″, 1024×600 display is coming to tablets, notably in Notion Ink’s Adam (which, incidentally, is a week ahead of schedule). Now, an update to the official Pixel Qi blog reveals that the company has a second display in the pipeline: a 7″ model whose resolution isn’t given. I expect this will be another 1024×600 affair; Samsung’s upcoming 7″ Galaxy Tab has the same pixel density.

The 7″ screen is scheduled to enter mass production in the first half of 2011, and samples may be available as early as the end of this year. In the blog post, Pixel Qi also reveals that it’s completed “series B” financing. Let’s hope some of that funding goes to the development of larger 11.6″, 12″, or 13.3″ screens for the ultraportable notebook crowd. Thanks to Engadget for the tip.

• blacksteel

I think what Pixel Qi needs to do is put their technology on smartphones and mp3 players first to get the name out and then put it on larger displays. I just think thats the best way to go for now.

• dpaus

Geoff, if you actually use that while riding, it’s as good a reason as any for me to stay off Vancouver’s streets…

• ssidbroadcast

q[

• End User

I can’t get past the fact that the netbook is running XP and that there are a crap load of icons on the desktop.

• Hattig

So readable it makes the average user’s XP desktop look uncluttered and accessible!

• axeman

Pfft. Amateur. I store all my documents on the desktop.

• ludi

Seems like the simple solution has been overlooked: surround the display with an optical inlet channel, molded into the bezel, that permits ambient light enter to the backlight’s acrylic scatter screen through a one-way reflective coating.

Then, any amount of ambient light can become contributory to the backlight, but the integrated backlight won’t shine back out at the user. No special technology required, just a slight modification to what’s already there.

Might not perform as well as the Pixel Qi tech but it could be applied to any existing display at only a slight increase in manufacturing cost.

• dpaus

“..and I’m 6′ 3″ and 200lbs, Mr Pot” says Mr. Kettle, “and I don’t find them too small”

Reply fail; that was to #4

• dpaus

No, let’s hope some of that funding goes towards the development of 5″ screens for the next generation of netbook-replacing smartphones coming from HP and HTC…

• sweatshopking

f that. that crap is too small.

• dpaus

Maybe for a big ape like you…

• sweatshopking

yes. i’m a giant of a man. 6’4, and 250lbs. thank you for attacking my girth. You animal QQ