LaCie LCD has 10-bit IPS panel, lofty price

LCD displays with IPS panels typically cost more than their TN counterparts. That said, the $1,250 asking price for LaCie’s new 324i display is quite a bit higher than one might expect from a 24″ IPS model. But this is no ordinary LCD, at least according to LaCie.

The 324i has been designed with graphics professionals in mind, and it features a 10-bit P-IPS panel that can reproduce a claimed 102% of the NTSC color gamut and 98% of AdobeRGB. Other specifications include a 400 cd/m² luminance rating, a 1000:1 contrast ratio, and a grey-to-grey response time of 6 ms. You won’t find any 16:9 love here; the 324i has a 1920×1200 resolution that provides 11% more pixels than a 1080p display.

As one might expect, the 324i has a highly adjustable stand and good selection of inputs, including HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI. A component input is included alongside RCA audio jacks, and there’s also an integrated two-port USB hub. If you’re interested, you have at least a week to find a buyer for one of your internal organs. The 324i isn’t yet for sale, but it’s expected to be available early next month.

• Saber Cherry

Without a good response time (which includes input latency), all else is meaningless. Who cares whether their 8-bits-per-channel output is displayed at 10-bits-per channel, if it is displayed 250ms after the fact?

• bthylafh

Because everyone’s a gamer.

::eyeroll::

Back to playing WoW, kid.

• Saber Cherry

Hmmm… I’m actually a programmer, and spend 90% of my computer time staring at Eclipse… but an unresponsive mouse is incredibly annoying in any context.

Still, your response was very educational with regards to the quality of your comments in general, so I appreciate it.

• ludi

Where on earth did you get a 250ms response time out of the quoted specs for this monitor?

• Saber Cherry

I don’t – I said “if”. I have a nice 42″ Samsung television that I use for watching movies. Its specs don’t say anything about input latency… since, generally, no specs do… but while it works fine for movies, it DOES have about 250ms latency compared to my CRT monitor when I mirror the screens. So it is not really adequate for anything interactive.

My point is that 10 bits per channel is not simply useless for the 99.95% of people who will only output 8 bits per channel, but actively detracts from their experience by making the panel slower.

• paulWTAMU

Not a gaming monitor. Might actually work as one (I don’t think the response time is terrible) but it’s dang nice if you’re a photo guy or do graphics work. Too rich for me though

• sjl

Dude. It’s right there on the website. Response time: 6ms (G-G avg). Hyperbole does your argument absolutely no good whatsoever. Is the response time reasonable for games? Possibly, possibly not (I’m very much a casual strategy gamer, not a hard core FPS gamer.) Is it reasonable for, oh, I don’t know, a profession that might actually be interested in using it for its wide colour gamut, like graphics design or photography? Hell yes.

Now, you might argue that you said “including input latency”. I really don’t see any monitor produced in this day and age having 220+ ms of input latency. Again: hyperbole does your argument absolutely no good.

• crazybus

l[…reproduce a claimed 102% of the NTSC color gamut and 98% of AdobeRGB.l

I think they have their numbers backwards. The NTSC color gamut is larger than AdobeRGB.

• bthylafh

Are you implying that Adobe RGB is a strict subset of NTSC?

• crazybus

No, because it’s not. But the NTSC color gamut is larger by volume than AdobeRGB, so you generally see it advertised the other way round.

• pragma

Any reason to prefer this over NEC PA241W-BK, which can be had for under $900? Other than the mellifluous “LaCie” branding that is.

Nightingale singing: lacie-lacie-lacie-nec-nec-nec- …

• Drewstre

I was able to weasel my boss into buying me the NEC PA271W-BK-SV at work, and I gotta tell you, it is absolutely incredible. I hadn’t spent much time in front of a nice IPS panel before, especially one at 2560×1440, with hardware calibration. I honestly never would’ve believed an LCD panel was capable of such rich color. The regular joe schmoe Acer monitor next to it, with a TN panel, looks like an Etch-a-Sketch in comparison. About 1700 clams with calibrator, but after spending some time in front of it, I am saving my pennies for an IPS panel. Maybe by the time I’ve saved enough to buy one, they’ll have gotten the response times down a little…

• Namarrgon

Got myself a Dell 2711 on a super special deal (AU$650), and man I love it. Not just the size, but it comes with a full factory calibration report – and a true 10bit panel.

I tested it out with a FireGL using the compositing software I work on, and it’s a pleasure to see that 24bit banding just disappear…

• paulWTAMU

Trading one nearly shot liver, one damaged teste and an extra nipple for that

• Scrotos

Yeah, but none of ’em were yours anyway so you still come out ahead!

• Kurotetsu

Huh. I’m curious, what kind of professional equipment would you use with this thing that requires a component input (rather than VGA, which this thing lacks)?

• bthylafh

Video-editing hardware?

• bthylafh

Do want. If only I were rich.

• Forge

If I can get six of these, plus a nice Eyefinity card to drive them, you can have half my liver (low miles!), my spare kidney, and my spare testicle.

Don’t need any of that stuff anyways!

• BiffStroganoffsky

Are testicles considered ‘internal’ organs?

• Scrotos

Depends on how hard your wife kicks you when she realizes you’re dropping that much on a new monitor!

• Thresher

This from a person named SCROTOS.

Awesome.

• Mourmain

Watcha gonna do with all them organs
      all them organs inside your… trunk?

• Captain Ned

Want Want Want. Besides, my kidneys are already on their last legs. You’d have to be pretty desperate to want mine.

• redpriest

Insert FF13 joke here

• Duck

This is a 10 bit panel. Even ‘studio quality’ is only 8 bit per channel, or 24 bit in other words. What you get on blu-ray is compressed and limited color space. Even 8 bit monitors with support for the full color gamut is overkill and creates problems for people because it’s not setup properly for sRGB content. Decent quality monitor with a limited sRBG input is mighty fine for 99% of people. Most of which probably only notice the difference between IPS and TN in the price.

• Mourmain

I bet the engineers at LaCie feel stupid now.

“Guys, we made this panel 10bit, lol. Duck at TR says 8 bit should have been enough, and we could have probably gone with 7 and no one would have noticed. What were we thinking, omfglol.”

• sotti

correct, But!

In order to get the correct gamma response (the mapping of how quickly the image goes from black to white) having the extra bits means you can apply a 10bit LUT to the 8 bit signal an not throw away any signal content. If you try to process an 8bit signal in 8bit space, you end up throwing away quite a bit of data.

• sjl

Oooh. Shiny. With that sort of colour gamut, they’re very tempting for (for example) serious photographers, and the price is definitely at the /[

• Austin

l[<;o)<]l I'd look forward to games using 10bit per RGB, perhaps 36bit or 40bit colour. That might be a nice way to utilise some of that untapped GPU power rather than running multiple displays few people have room for. I'd prefer that to 3D personally.

• bdwilcox

But can you play Crysis on it?

• BiffStroganoffsky

Purdy…but I’m gonna keep my kidneys, thank you. Make the bezel thinner and I just might give up part of a (beef) liver.

• khands

Thank God for 16:10, too bad about the price though.

• pedro

I wish they’d made it ‘FullHD’ 16:9.

• jackbomb

*grabs popcorn*

• Kurotetsu

Oh, please. Sure alot of people on this site have hair triggers, but such a low-level trolling attempt like that isn’t going to attract any of them.

• jackbomb

Must’ve been some ultra-low level attempt, because I wasn’t even aware that I was trolling. Kinda like farting in my sleep, I guess…

• Kurotetsu

I was talking about pedro’s attempt (the thing you were grabbing popcorn?), not you.

• BobbinThreadbare

Since when is a joke trolling?

• jasonalwaysready

i want ‘FullerHD’ 16:11

• demani

I hear the next version of HD will be 16:12. It will be named HD Harder.

• dashbarron