Nine-minute trailer shows BioShock Infinite gameplay

Irrational Games may have only unveiled BioShock Infinite a little over a month ago, but it’s already shown a somewhat lengthy gameplay session. The trailer has landed at Shacknews and some other sites, but you can watch it over on YouTube, as well—which conveniently lets us embed it here:

The trailer shows a little under 10 minutes of gameplay in BioShock Infinite‘s floating city of Columbia. It’s all about exploration and atmosphere until, about three minutes in, the player picks up a rifle from a barrel… and is immediately attacked by an old man who summons a flock of crows. The rest of the video is very action-packed, with some sections involving sliding around a rollercoaster-like rail system that connects Columbia’s different floating islands.

Fans of the original BioShock should feel right at home, since BioShock Infinite seems to have fairly similar core gameplay: exploration, fighting hordes of aggressive enemies, and using various superpowers to do the job. I don’t know if it’s just me, though, but everything looks just a little bit more cinematic.

• Convert

I fail to see how his hook works with the rail system.

• Meadows

Sssh, a wizard did it.

• mi1stormilst

I think it looks fun, what can I say I am old 😉

• Fragnificent

Bioshock was possibly the worst, most uninteresting game I ever played, bar none. I didn’t play BioShock2, and won’t be trying this, the trailer makes NO sense, much like the first game. Epic YAWN.

• dashbarron

Wha…? Between the intriguing gameplay, the polished graphics, and the nostlagic, creepy story, the original had a facet in it that everyone should be able to enjoy, if everyone didnt enjoy all three in perfect harmony.

• ImSpartacus

Don’t feed the trolls, we all know Bioshock is one of the greatest games in recent years.

• Fragnificent

I’m not trolling, it flat out sucked balls, I was never at any point even remotely entertained, and to be honest I thought the graphics were kind of grainy and underdone. Half Life 2 was a great game. Big difference.

• swaaye

Not that I disagree, but it’s interesting to see Half Life 2 and Bioshock being directly compared. It says volumes about how the game actually plays, which is one of the more disappointing aspects to it IMO. Too much endless mindless shooting and respawn on top of it. The shooting isn’t all that great either.

System Shock 2 has the same endless shooting of respawned bad guys, but the setting and atmosphere made up for it. Of course that depends on the player enjoying that sort of sci-fi setting. I liked it a lot more than the weird Bioshock world.

• dashbarron

I think it is interesting seeing the two compared. By comparison, I think Half Life 2 is the product of a well-worn, recycled formula used by Valve, over, and over, and over. I see Bioshock as bringing a breath of fresh air to the trampled fps scene, with a good dash of creativity and story to boot. Not so much the terrorist/Nazi/Iraq insurgent/zombie shoot shoot in some generic warehouse/battlefield/children’s camp “story.”

• Kaleid

SS2 was more of a survival horror game. It had respawns but certainly not as much as Bioshock…the latter of course being much more of console mainstream dumbed down game in general.

• clone

I liked it but way too much and made no sense.

pretty looking to be sure but so are Micheal Bay movies and that doesn’t save them from being disposable trash & painful to watch once let alone a 2nd time, I loved Bioshock and I’ve got Bioshock 2 but the more they focus on the “superpowers” the less interest I have.

I could be wrong but they seemed to be drifting with the series as they try to make more uber powers mandatory to get anywhere, I really liked using the old style weapons in concert with the powers…. this video came across as almost totally powers only, even the sniper rifle shot wasn’t required when he could have swung down the line and taken them out up close.

to boot the whole jumping and sliding along the interconnecting lines didn’t do anything for me….. takes it too far beyond anything real.

• bthylafh

Oh, for fuck’s sake. Are the mods completely ignoring the front-page comments now?

• VILLAIN_xx

I just love how the characters in the bioshock series just inject them selves or drink random liquids.

• GrimDanfango

l[

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, the game would just suck if this is how the gameplay plays.

I think it’s meant to be watched as a movie/trailer, not as gameplay.

• hurleybird

Looks stupid and random.

• Krogoth

Geez, it is just Bioshock in the Sky. Same social-political commentary, same steampunk feel, same “SUDRAPOWER!”.

Color me disappointed.

• TaBoVilla

no yawns?

• GrimDanfango

Yawn! Wake me up when they make Bioshock IN SPACE with a super-intelligent computer trying to kill you.

…waaaait-a-minute!

• Krogoth

System Shock called, it wants its theme and plot outline back. 😉

• GrimDanfango

It’s testament to their genius that they started with the most awesome game/setting possible, and worked back from there 😛

I dunno, this might be good… it might even be very good, but something tells me that for all it’s originality of visual design, the gameplay is already looking a little tired.

• ModernPrimitive

Pigsssssssss Innnnnnn Spaceeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!

• cegras

……… HAL?

• Grigory

Shouldn’t we be waking you up at some point?

• ImSpartacus

Excuse me, I’m going to go jump off a building.

• stdRaichu

Wake me up when he actually goes to sleep.

• Meadows

Wrong, Yawngoth. Seems to have a number of exciting game mechanics that would not have even been possible in the first BioShock, and yet, the atmosphere is what seems to fall terribly flat.

• rhysl

mm over bioshock series.. too same ole

• l33t-g4m3r

Considering current events, I find a lot of the background stuff to be in extremely poor taste.
    This game is pushing the limits of “fictional” dystopianism.

• scpulp

I disagree, I think what they’re doing is exactly what we need right now.

The propaganda and xenophobia in the game is remarkably close to the current political climate in the states right now, a climate that deserves to be vilified and satirized to the nth degree exactly like it seems to be in this game.

• TaBoVilla

I agree on disagreeing with him

• WaltC

/[

• Irascible

The same in virtually every nation… true, except the US is by far one of the most open and accepting nations on Earth.

-Other nations shoot their trespassers. We give them welfare, healthcare, schooling and an ACLU attorney.
          -Other nations pass laws cracking down on certain Islamic practices. France and Denmark come to mind. The thought police in this country wring their hands because we in US might be (rightfully) *[

• potatochobit

who is peggy and why is she telling me she is 18

• TaBoVilla

has a rather suspicious deep strong male voice…

• finchyo

This looks amazing, jaw dropping. This is the only future game that is worth getting, can’t wait.

Ahah! Someone who isn’t anti-Bioshock….

I too think that trailer looks awesome, and I’m not totally against on-rails gameplay – The whole Half-Life franchise has been heavily scripted to give that on-rails, cinematic gameplay.

It’s hard to find people who don’t like the Half-Life games having played them, why should all gameplay be open-world? I’d rather see the bits of the world that the designers and artists have spent effort on.

• urbain

another jewish game made by NWO

• Goty

I think it looks pretty good, so far.

• swaaye

I thought the original wasn’t so great, but it certainly has its own little crowd of fans.

• Voldenuit

Loved System Shock.
    Didn’t dig Sytem Shock 2.
    Didn’t like Bioshock.
    Hated Bioshock 2.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 3 or more times…

• dukerjames

you fooled me can’t get fooled again

• indeego

REALLY dug System Shock 2. One of my all-time favorite games. I went back and tried SS and couldn’t get past the pixels. It was too ugly by the time SS2 was out.

Didn’t like Bioshock after 5 levels. Art direction was gorgeous, plot was somewhat interesting, it was a pretty crappy game though, thanks consoles.
      Never bothered with Bioshock 2.
      Will give this a try when Bioshock Infinite is 5$.

I don’t understand people’s desire to watch trailers and ruin the joy of first watching a game IRL for the first time. but whatevsg{<.<}g

• swaaye

I think SS2 is better than the original. But SS1 was so very innovative and I can totally see how in 1994 it would have been astonishing. There was nothing outside of fantasy CRPGs that came close to that kind of gaming experience. It was a sci-fi cyberpunk lover’s dream come true for sure.

I wasn’t all that impressed with Bioshock either. I haven’t tried its sequel and I don’t know if I will. I’m waiting until it’s bargain bin material at least.

Dead Space was almost a great System Shock style game but they went for way too much mindlessness and dumb action.

• Voldenuit

Well, I did like the Ultima Underworlds even more than System Shock, so the franchise had been on a downhill run for me since 1994 :P.

Ultima Underworld 2 was just mind-blowing.

SS had great atmosphere, but really klunky controls, and the level and monster design wasn’t as varied and interesting as UU2, because it was limited to one space station. But Shodan was a fantastic antagonist, easily matching The Guardian from Ultima, if not one-upping him.

• swaaye

Does that mean Arx Fatalis is a fav too then? 😀

• Voldenuit

You know, I completely missed that one. Will have to check it out. Plus, it’s only $5 on Steam these days! Thanks for the heads-up.

• Shinare

Bioshock
    Bioshock 2

…And now for something completely different? /Monty Python

• Legend

That’s so over the top. Probably the similar reason I wasn’t able to get into the original. This does look a bit more “fun” however.

• Fighterpilot

Yawn…wake me up when Krogoth arrives…I want to know if he is disappoint.
    Flip-mode is flirting with off pointness using “Boss” twice in one month too.
    🙂 /rib jab

• Pongo

At least he said Boss instead of Beast.

• Rectal Prolapse

3 minutes until a barrel eh? How would Old Man Murray rate this game? 🙂

• kvndoom

You will NEVER become Cratemaster.

…be the box…

• Duck

It looks weird. Like a dream. It makes no sense. And it looks so scripted it might as well be a movie.

• mesyn191

Its a free roam movie. Lots of scripted events, but its up to you to participate or not participate in those events.

So far looks good to me.

• Meadows

Absolutely what I was thinking!

If I were to compare this to the original BioShock, I’d say it’s trying to make fun of the game. I mean seriously, this is nothing more than a joke at this point. No doubt fun to play however, but a sacrilege if you have the original in mind.

• Pongo

Ummm, Bioshock…in the sky? What?

• cavedog

Holy crap!

• provoko

I was blown away!

• flip-mode

It looks totally boss. Count me in.

• grantmeaname

I’ll still think you’re on point even after Fighterpilot has abandoned you.

• ssidbroadcast