Poll: Do you play FPS games on consoles or the PC?

In this week’s installment of Executives Say the Darndest Things, Xbox Kinect creator Kudo Tsunoda surprisingly claimed that “hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC anymore.” Say what? I could understand if Tsunoda was talking about games in general or even about other genres, but first-person shooters have been a staple of the PC gaming scene in part because console controllers are a poor substitute for the precision and flexibility of a keyboard-and-mouse combo.

I’ve been playing FPS games on the PC since the original Wolfenstein 3D, so maybe I’m out of touch. To find out, I’ve whipped up a new poll asking whether you play first-person shooters primarily on consoles or the PC. You can cast your vote over on the right column on the front page or after clicking on the comment link below.

In last week’s poll, we tackled the subject of graphics upgrades—more specifically, how much your next one will cost. Nearly half of all voters expect to spend between $150 and $250, with 23% sticking to the $150-$199 range and 22% willing to spend up to $50 more. That’s the sweet spot, folks. For the next tier in our Bell curve, we have 12% of voters looking to drop $100-$149 and 11% budgeting for $250-$299. We’re down into the single digits after that, and it’s interesting to note that 6% think their next upgrade will have integrated graphics. On the other hand, 5% plan to shell out over $500 on their next GPU refresh.

• Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

PC. Nothing beats keyboard and mouse as FPS controller. Gamepad is just awkward.

• PainIs4ThaWeak

*EvilLaugh* 84% (at time of posting) play em on the PC!

Glad TR finally did a poll for this. Now maybe those religious console fanatics will quiet down a bit.

• dearharlequin

…It’s shocking to you that the majority of visitors to a PC hardware site play shooters on their PC preferably??

Don’t get me wrong: keyboard and mouse ALL DAY. Alas, this is still a biased poll.

• DeadOfKnight

I play my shooters on PC whether I use my keyboard+mouse or my Xbox 360 controller. PC just has so much more to offer. FRAPS, PrtScr, & the ability to alt+tab to look something up on YouTube real quick if you want to. It’s a fully customizable platform and you can do so much more with it. It’s also nice that you can really crank up the eye candy at 1920×1200 as well.

• ZGradt

I play on PC, but I’ve been getting back into consoles lately with Halo. I have to say that sniping is really a pain with the thumbsticks. Especially since kills take multiple shots and you have to follow a moving target. Very frustrating.

The difference between mice and gamepads is tricky. With the mouse, you’re basically inputting a position that you want it to go, and with the gamepad, you’re inputting a velocity and then stopping when you’re at the position you want.

It’s pretty telling that I can’t think of a single FPS where you can play PC’s vs. consoles, although it would be simple to implement these days.

• cynan

All these posts about the poll being biased are kind of silly (and yet I post another one).

If one is interested in what the general population (ie, average gamer) does – which I think was what the original article was referring to, then of course the poll results will be biased. (It’s called Selection Bias for those interested in population research methodology)

However, if interested in what the average PC enthusiast does, then the poll should not be biased.

But in Geoff’s defence, the only “study population” he has access to are readers of this site. So it’s either this or nothing. And in my opinion a consensus among PC enthusiasts is better than nothing, even if the outcome does little to support or refute the claims of the original article.

• greeny

I use both pc and xbox but as a rule for FPS PC>Xbox only fps I play on xbox is MW2

• Thanato

People buy FPS’s for their consoles just for show. lol so they feel like they own a PC.. I kid.. or do I.

• Pax-UX

This pole is a little pointless, as this site is an echo chamber for PC enthusiasts. So the PC will easily run away with it, now if this poll was on an Xbox site then it would be reversed. Xbox for the easy win and PC in small numbers.

When it comes to cost Xbox / PS3 have a much lower enter point for gaming. You don’t have to worry about “is my PC fast enough for the game”, etc. Mouse + Keyboard is superior to controllers, that’s unquestionable. But for general consumers the Console is a better fit for gaming these days and since most people go with laptops rather then desktops.

• djgandy

‘pole?’ …

Not entirely true:

This is an enthusiast site and I suspect that means a large percentage of the voters will also have a console, unlike a console site where only a small percentage of the voters will have a gaming-capable PC. As you said, laptops are becoming all too prevalent.

I choose to play quite a few games on the 360 simply because they’re better suited to a console (driving sims, beat-em-ups), come out on console first, or exclusive to consoles.

However, Any FPS will always be played by me on a PC simply because mouselook is the defining feature of the genre.

• ThorAxe

Ausgamers.com had a similar result and it isn’t a PC Hardware review site:

Current Poll
    What is your preferred gaming platform?
    68% – PC
    14% – Xbox 360
    13% – PlayStation 3
    3% – Nintendo Wii
    2% – Other (older consoles, portable consoles, etc)

• N_Raged

I am absolutely terrible with a gamepad and playing shooters on my big HDTV screen gives me headaches.

PC w/ mouse all the way.

• clone

should have added options and allowed multiple answers.

I don’t currently own a console.

• swaaye

I’d vote “both” as I have played tons of console shooters, but I am primarily a PC gamer so I suppose voting “primarily PC” makes sense.

• Deanjo

***Yawn*** Wake me up when there is a new genre of game that isn’t a FPS with updated graphics. If I wanted to play a shooter game I’d pull out Duck Hunt (and still wish I could shoot that damn dog).

• NeXus 6

Anyone that’s played any new FPS on the PC will probably agree with the Microsoft guy. They’re getting more dumbed down and the FOV default setting is for TV screens, not PC monitors. The controls are a mixed bag.

What happened to just installing the game and start playing it with minimum to zero tweaking involved? What happened to smart AI?

• willmore

I assume you’re speaking of the console ‘ports’… Native PC FPS games are fine. *shakesfist* Damn Borderlands and its narrow FOV! Freaking consoles are ruining real gaming.

• Waco

The FOV is one of the first things I fixed when I installed Borderlands. It makes it IMMENSELY easier to keep track of things in the heat of battle.

• mightymightyme

The worst part about what he says is that its pretty true, and the tide is not in the favor of PC gamers. Look at the sales of CoD, Borderlands, and Battlefield on PC compared to the consoles.
    I tend to still get all my FPS on my PC, but I definitely spend more time gaming on my console. I don’t find the controls for Halo to be hard to use anymore. If it weren’t for StarCraft 2 and Civ 5 being released this year, I would have hardly played my PC this year.

• marvelous

This is a silly poll. This is a PC site not console site. Everyone is going to vote PC except for a few.

• TaBoVilla

sounds like you voted consoles

• rhysl

The only Console I use is ~

Thats the way it should be !!

• Prestige Worldwide

Hahahaha, WIN!

• ROad86

First I think microsoft with these statements are going to kill windows because most of us are using because we can play games too. If they depriciate gaming linux is waiting for us.
    Anyway FPS if the game is not a copy paste from the console are better at PC’s, KB and mouse are unbeatable.
    But I see it from my friends they dont want to buy a pc for gaming because they think it is too expensive (they have a point here), and because it is easier to play a co-op with your friend rather make a LAN party or through multiplayer.
    I may confused you a bit so I make it clear: FPS only on pc’s!!

• OneArmedScissor

Yes, the entire business world will suddenly drop Windows because 14 people stopped playing Crysis. *face palm*

• ROad86

You are right I am not talking about the bussiness world. Surely this wont change a thing. I am assuming the common pc user if he cannot play games why invest a big amount of money too buy or upgrade windows. Only a thought.

• odizzido

PC games are the only reason I got windows 7 instead of something else.

Also something to think about is that the more people who drop windows the more likely apps will be multi-platform. The more apps are multi-platform the more people are able to drop windows and it could snowball out of control for MS. I am sure this would take quite some time, but it’s a possibility.

• HisDivineShadow

The business world uses Windows for user PC’s because that’s what people are familiar with. If gaming goes and all the enthusiasts start using Linux, then it won’t be long before the OEM’s are looking to sell PC’s with Linux to save some money and go with the thing that gamers/enthusiasts would then be familiar with.

Eventually, this would trickle down to the casual users for savings. In time, this would even trickle to business PC’s because eventually THAT would be what people were used to. And cheaper.

I think you’re seriously underestimating how few advantages Windows has over Linux that aren’t gaming/enthusiast related. Perhaps you’re a Microsoft employee as that’s a common misconception they have, too.

Guess we’ll see after Microsoft manages to run their Windows gaming platform into the ground…

• jdcope

I have been playing first person shooters since Wolfenstein. I need a keyboard and mouse. I cant use the controller for shooters on my Xbox.
    I just cant get it down.

• roont

wasn’t it just recently I read an article that, back when ShadowRun was released, where they had attempted to mix Games for Windows and XBox Live so that any given account could play cross-platform together. They ended up scrapping the project, because even the most basic PC users would dominate the “pro” console players.

• vargis14

what do you guys think i think i have a great idea for a controller to go with the mouse in fps a Wii type left handed or right handed hand held analog 8 way joystick controlled by thumb that can double for a jump buttom if ya push it down,along with a molded grip with 4 other buttoms for each finger pinky ,ring,middle and index finger all programable,possibly 2 buttoms for each finger for even more functionality…working in tandem with the mouse.i cant beleive i havent seen one developed yet…nothing will ever replace the keyboard but i feel a controller like that would make for great fps action.
    u could lean back and relax one hand on mouse direction and action controller on stomach/hip whatever comfortable instead of being hunched over the keyboard let me know what you all think any input would be appreciated along with who i could pitch the idea to.
    thanks ahead of time
    Vargis

• Barbas

Seriously what kind of results do you expect on a site like TR?

• indeego

/[

• thesmileman

how about a more realistic option of “Prefer PC but if it only exists on the console I will suffer through it if it is a good game”. I am talking about Resistance fall of man, Gears of War, etc

• Vasilyfav

You will suffer through it if it’s a good game?

Talk about an oxymoron. Sry, console lover, you can’t have it both ways.

• ew

Talk about sample bias!

• Corrado

Theres also still the stigma in the mainstream that PC gamers are WoW loving basement dwelling nerds.

Couple the fact that MOST people are also only buying laptops now that despite much improved integrated graphics, still aren’t that powerful.People also don’t have or want a full sized desktop nor the space to put one. Almost all these people have a TV so adding a PS3 or a 360 isn’t a big space waster. Having a TV + a desk, chair and desktop system setup is huge when you’re a 20 something living in a small apartment.

• lex-ington

I have never played an FPS and never will. So, since I’ve been playing Final Fantasy, Grandia, Bard’s Tale and the like since the late 80’s I’m not considered a “gamer”? I’m an “Other”? Even though the FPS genre is pretty new to the scene? I actually find that statement a little offensive. . . .seriously.

• khands

There’s a /[

• zaeric19

I really like playing FPS games on PC more than consoles, I play both but more so on PC. One thing that has really bothered me since I started playing console shooters is that on PC with KB+mouse is that you are limited to 8 directional movement (not a big deal really) and only two speeds, full speed or not moving (really bugs me sometimes). Consoles have the ability to do this by having a joystick for movement, I just wish that PCs had a good way to do this too.

• Voldenuit

Once you get used to tapping certain keys while moving, you can move in any direction with WASD. Usually, two speeds are all you need – you either want to move as fast as you can to avoid fire, or to make careful movements so you don’t fall off a ledge or trigger a trap.

It’s still practically impossible to flick with an analog stick, making competitive or fast-paced play less optimal on a console than with a mouse.

• PenGun

I can happily do rolling 360s, I do it for fun. The first time was after I offed a Cyber with a shotgun, oh in 98 maybe, and I was so happy I just started cruising along doing 360s.

• odizzido

You have a mouse to look around?…you aren’t limited in the direction you walk at all. I suppose you are limited to 8 with respect to where you are looking, but since you can look anywhere you can move at any angle you like in reference to the game world.

As to your speeds thing, most games either have a walk or a sprint button as well as duck + walk speed. Still not as finely controlled as a joystick, but certainly not two.

• Corrado

I plan on playing BioShock – Infinite and New Vegas on console. I’m playing Halo Reach now. I’m not big into multi-player so the FPS on a PC’s big advantages over console just don’t translate into a good enough reason for me to keep up with new hardware.

• DeadOfKnight

Yeah I don’t think you’re gonna get accurate results from this community but conclusively people who are knowledgeable about PCs tend to see their superiority for the FPS genre and would play on the PC before a console.

• BoBzeBuilder

I’ll wait for flip-mode’s take on this.

• khands

I play on both, but more so on PCs than consoles, so I put PC only, even if it doesn’t really work out that way.

• paulWTAMU

I do some of both even for FPS’s. When the controls are done reasonably well console’s are enjoyable even for shooters, and playing on a 50″ TV is damn nice, even if I do give up some control.

• Voldenuit

Actually, I would say that it is rarer for a 3PS/platform game on the PC to have good controls than for a FPS game on a console to do the same.

The last time I was blown away by a terrific and seamless m+kb control scheme on PC was with Prototype.

After that, I was spoilt and consistently disappointed with even decent entrants into the genre, like Just Cause 2.

Although I’ve also played console games with bad controls – Shadow of the Colossus, I am looking at you. Great game, but trying to ride a flying roc creature in the game was like juggling chainsaws on a monocycle while blindfolded. Bad Team Ico, bad!

I guess Borderlands similarly had a shockingly bad control set on PC, and it’s a FPS.

• Skrying

You can bind keys. That’s all that matters. Most games by default have C as the crouch but I always switch that to Shift, just like if there’s a run/walk it’s always Caps Lock (which is actually seen as Control by Windows thanks to a registry edit).

• Voldenuit

Yeah, but the default keybinds were pretty crap in Borderlands, and they also made it harder than necessary to customize keybindings. I also remember finding out to my frustration that multiplayer settings weren’t affected by your single player keybinds (they may have fixed that since, dunno). All in all, a pretty poor effort that marred the experience.

• Silus

Just Cause 2 isn’t a FPS…

As for me, PC all the way. Consoles have their place and that place doesn’t include FPSs if you ask me. Keyboard + mouse is the best way to play them IMO.

• Voldenuit

I was talking about 3PS – Third person shooters.

• Silus

Ah ok, my bad then 🙂

• Aquilino

What kind of question is that?

• SHOES

I think sometimes they say these things in hopes that people may believe them and actually shift the market.

• wira020

Reality distortion field?

• Shinare

I remember buying a 386 and a $200 4MB memory upgrade kit just so I could play Doom.

Having said that, the last couple years have seen me completely stop playing FPS’s so I answered “Other Genres”.

Just got tired of playing the same “Move your mouse and shoot-em-up”.

I do think it’s fair to say that relatively fewer people play FPS on PC than console. Even if more than 50% of people who play FPS on PC do so pirate-style, the general PC FPS sales vs. console sales does show that, relatively speaking, “nobody” plays FPS on PCs anymore. Not liking the truth doesn’t make it less true. 🙂

• ShadowTiger

“nobody” is my counterstrike username.

• Usacomp2k3

I bet there are more people playing console FPS’ (or 3rd part shoorters for the Gears of War type) than on the PC just due to the sheer number of consoles out there.

• OneArmedScissor

I’m pretty sure there are more computers out there than consoles combined lol. That doesn’t have too much to do with it.

PC FPSs tend to be very twitch-based and most people either don’t have the motor skills to keep up or just don’t care to put that much thought into it.

I know plenty of people who will play FPSs on the PC, but they often still play with other people they know on consoles. The console way lets everyone get in on it.

• druidcent

Mostly end up playing console FPS’s because I get together with some friends for a shoot-em up night, once every 2 months or so.. and it’s easier to set up one or two Xbox360’s on the LAN than have everyone bring their PCs and have a proper LAN party…

• Fantomex

l[<"...and it's easier to set up one or two Xbox360's on the LAN than have everyone bring their PCs and have a proper LAN party..."<]l Easier? EASIER? Dude, when you really do love/cherish something, you'll do anything for it no matter how difficult it may be. 😀 Hence, PC LAN party FTW!

• Voldenuit

Also, you get to leech pr0n at PC lanparties ;).

• Jigar

Well, that’s a plus. 😉

• Voldenuit

Mouse + keyboard. The only way to play.

• cavedog

I agree. kb / mouse ftw. I mean can you imagine playing CounterStrike on console?

• sweatshopking

you mean, “can you imagine bothering to play counterstrike at all?”

• Kaleid

Not really. the N64 controller on Goldeneye 007 worked very well.

• Thanato

agreed, well if you want to have fun.

• sschaem

I find the console controllers absolutely horrid for FPS, but decent for tank simulation.
      Actually the controller works ok for many games, just not fps

• Pettytheft

About even although the only online gaming I do is on the 360 now days.

• cygnus1

I own more PC FPSs, but I spend more time playing Halo than any other FPS. For me, Halo is the most fun because the people I play that with I actually know.

That being said, out of all my gaming time, FPS is one of the least played categories. Strategy games, turn based and real-time, are where I spend most of my days. Civ5 just came out yesterday and it’s is already absorbing me.

• bthylafh

PC. Console controllers aren’t sensitive or flexible enough vs. the keyboard and mouse.

• mbutrovich

Actually, I thought this week’s /[http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=265559<]§

• albundy

I would think that any console fps player would dare not cross a pc fps player under any circumstances.

• ClickClick5

l[<"I've been playing FPS games on the PC since the original Wolfenstein 3D, so maybe I'm out of touch."<]l But remember, Tsunoda only goes back to Halo: Combat Evolved. Anything before 2002 does not exist. I like to experence new things...and after three months, a console stops being amazing. Think if developers went back to just PC development? We would need a new system every year almost to keep up. However, this "console lag" we have right now makes it easy on my pocket book. Nothing yet makes my 4870 cry and beg on its knees. So it is a win-lose / lose-lose. Win-lose for PC gamers pockets. Lose-lose due to the srtrict console development.

• EsotericLord

This is a terribly biased poll. Asking people if they play PC or console shooters on a PC hardware review site?

This just in: 8 out of 10 vistors to the Victoria’s Secert website have an interest in lingerie.

• yogibbear

The other 2/10 wanted to know what Victoria’s Secret was so they could gossip about it at the watercooler. The next day they developed an interest in lingerie.

• anotherengineer

Wow I havent heard of them in years, I think I will review some of the models, hrrrm I mean clothing.

Thanks

I don’t think the point is to “prove” anything, I think it’s just a question of “what do the people who come to this site do?”

Personally, I feel FPS can go DIAF.

• ImSpartacus

Well, I guess we can conclude that this is a PC /[

• OneArmedScissor

I wouldn’t go that far. Look at the amount of comments that graphics card articles bring in, and how many people posting about new CPUs saying they don’t care if it doesn’t make their games run better.

Now compare that to the amount of apparent interest in even a good general use laptop review.

• ImSpartacus

I agree. I just define a gaming site as having game reviews. I know there have been a few impromptu blog posts about games, but I don’t remember any actual game reviews. More articles have been about hardware, albeit some PC Gaming Hardware.

It straddles that line. Look at the sheer number of benchmarks based on games, for example.

• Silus

You know that a large number of people that play PC games regularly usually also play on a console ?

Given that, I don’t see any terrible bias. If those people, despite playing PC games (and FPS at that), also like to play those types of games on the console they own, then they have that option available in the poll.

• EsotericLord

Between a more united community, higher population, less hackers/cheaters, less tomfoolery with settings to get the best graphics/fps balance, no DRM, and the superiority that is a joystick, I prefer consoles for my fps games.

I still hope on UT3 on the PC every now and then, but I get my BC2/Halo fix on my 360.