IE Platform Architect defects to Google

Here’s a bit of browser war gossip for you. Right after Microsoft gloated about seeing two million people download the Internet Explorer 9 beta in just two days, the company’s IE Platform Architect announced that he was departing Microsoft to take on a fancy new position… at Google.

Chris Wilson says he was part of the Internet Explorer team for a whopping 15 years, but he explains, "As I reached the conclusion that I’d helped IE along as much as I could, I felt it was a good time to reassess where I ultimately want to go with my career, and I realized that I really needed to stretch my wings beyond Microsoft."

Wilson notes that he’ll be taking on a position as Developer Advocate at Google. He also throws in this little quip: "I’m very excited to work for a company [Google] that invests so much in making the Web platform better for developers and consumers." Ouch! Do I detect some animosity toward Microsoft’s browser development efforts? Let’s hope Steve Ballmer didn’t throw a chair at Wilson when learning about his departure. (Thanks to Neowin for the link.)

• Farting Bob

So he was on the IE team all during the IE6 years? I presume it was him alone and consisted mostly of throwing playing cards at a bin all day, because not much got done during that stretch of employment…

• axeman

His blog details what was going on behind the scenes there, it’s interesting. To be fair, once there is no competition in a certain area, what do you expect. It’s not M$ is evil, it’s just the way things work. Firefox was fairly stagnant, too until everyone else started nipping at their heels or surpassing them.

• anotherengineer

“IE Platform Architect defects to Google”

defects???

Don’t you mean career change? Make him sound like a spy or someone guilty of treason. Maybe he wanted a change or google offered him a better salary package.

That’s buisness.

• EsotericLord

Given the sorry state of IE in the past few years, this might actually be a victory for MS instead of Google.

This post written in the IE9 beta. (It’s awesome.)

• ModernPrimitive

Do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw it?

• axeman

reply fail

• Krogoth

In day and age, why do internet browsers matter to the end-user?

IMO, they haven’t really matter since Microsoft raped Netscape out of existence.

The only crowd who should care are web developers. It is because of different platforms and how each of them follow wed standards.

To the end user, the main batch of current browsers are all the same bloody thing. They just have slightly different UIs and optimize different areas. They cam be all bloated as hell and will hog memory like a mofo given the right content and add-ons.

It still doesn’t stop pretentious fanboys from starting epenis wars over “what is the best web browser!”.

• bthylafh

Nor does it stop you from saying stupid things, unfortunately.

• flip-mode

It is really not worth the time to respond to you, so I don’t know why the heck I am. With regularity, you make unthoughtful remarks and then cling to them and go to any length to defend them. You just have an opinion, nothing more, and you’re sticking to it. Suffice it to say that a significant percentage of browser users disagree with you enough to have switched away from IE.

• wira020

Do you use and like IE?

• OneArmedScissor

“To the end user, the main batch of current browsers are all the same bloody thing. They just have slightly different UIs…”

Way to kill your own argument. “End users” don’t know anything but the UI, silly goose.

• Meadows

Do you repeat this on every browser news post?

• sweatshopking

i’m actually inclined to agree with the krog’s. Really, old IE aside, most MODERN browsers are sufficient. IE 9 is good, firefox is good, chrome is fine, opera is fine. I don’t have any concerns about any of them. I’d happily use all of them. I PREFER opera, but they’re all doable. The ravenous responses you all gave make me wonder about your epeen’s. Mine is sufficient to allow me to be comfortable with a little change. Maybe yours are still small?

• 5150

Yawn. Wake me when Gopher gets updated.

• indeego

You are 100% correctg{<.<}g

• albundy

because active x = your bank account stolen from malware infestations.

good enough reason?

• HisDivineShadow

Hope this puts a sock in all those people thrilled about the idea of Microsoft IE being upgraded. Anyone with sense can see all this nonsense about IE being hardware accelerated while none others can ever challenge it in the space–outright bs–is a smokescreen, trying to use the Windows 7 Effect to convince people that BECAUSE of how bad the prior version was, THIS is why you should LOVE the new version.

IE’s competitors are more nimble, will be superior to IE 9 before it ever makes it to full release. Microsoft is just not committed enough to IE to give it a quick update schedule to match the ever-evolving Internet of today. If they were, they would split the Corporate IE from the Consumer so the Corporate would have a stable platform onto which they could build their infrastructure while giving the Consumer an ever-evolving one that is constantly updated and expanded for superior customer experience.

Instead, they want Google, Firefox, and even Opera to show them what needs to be done so they can then copy it. It’s a strategy that works for them, but eventually it causes them to bleed customers.

• EsotericLord