Deal of the week: Something for everybody

We’ve got a little bit of everything in today’s deal post—enough to satisfy gamers, storage buffs, folks building power-hungry PCs, and Canadian laptop shoppers.

Let’s start with our storage deal. Newegg currently sells OCZ’s 90GB Agility 2 solid-state drive for $199 shipped, down from a quoted $249. Better yet, you can cut the price to just $169 with a mail-in rebate. We’re not too fond of rebates here at TR, but this is a good deal even without it. Keep in mind the Agility 2 has a SandForce controller and three-year warranty coverage.

Next up: Borderlands, which is on sale for $7.49 until next Wednesday at the Games for Windows online store. If you haven’t played this game already, here’s your chance. (For more details, check out my blog post about it.)

Back to Newegg, Corsair’s HX620W modular power supply is also on sale. You can grab it for $99.99 before shipping, which is apparently $70 below the regular asking price. Newegg might be embellishing the extent of the discount a tad, since our price search engine shows the same unit selling for about $140 at another e-tailer, but a hundred bucks is still very tempting for a solid, modular PSU with a five-year warranty and 80 Plus certification.

Last, but not least, Best Buy Canada is offering Acer’s 13-inch Aspire AS3810TZ ultraportable notebook at a discount for $399.99. Canadian retailers are fond of gouging their customers, but this appears to be an exception to the rule—the cheapest 3810TZ variant on Amazon U.S. sells for over $600.

• sydbot

Thats cheaper than Steam’s current sale on the Serious Sam HD combo. Which I bought yesterday…

• Voldenuit

BTW, those 1st-gen Corsair PSUs were great for their time (I had a HX520 for 2 years), but are not as quiet (or efficient) as the better 80+ PSUs today. They’re simply not worth the asking price that they’re going for vs more modern PSUs.

I’d rather pay $79 for a Cooler Master M700 (itself not the latest design) than $99 for the Corsair HX620. $20 cheaper, quieter and more powerful (just).

If you don’t need modular, the Nexus 5000 is even quieter (newegg mistakenly lists it as modular) at $99, but I haven’t used one and can’t vouch for their reliability.

• sweatshopking

I’m actually going to order that acer. My wife’s laptop is currently a aspire 6930, and since she is going to school now, the 30 minute battery life doesn’t lend itself to a full days worth of classes.

• Voldenuit

If your wife is going to school, it’s worth pointing out that the acer flat keyboard is execrable and sure to frustrate touch typists or anyone who uses it a lot.

I bought my Mom a Timeline for Xmas, but she only uses it for web surfing. If she were typing papers or assignments on it, it would be a whole different story.

• TaBoVilla

the school I sent my wife to all she needed was knitting needles and a cooking pan.

/redneck joke

• sweatshopking

lolololol. I’m lovin that joke.

My wife actually LIKES that keyboard. I know. it’s weird. I did buy this laptop, and she’s loving it. she’s been typing away on it, and doesn’t seem to have an issue.

• Voldenuit

Hehe, to each their own, I guess.

My main laptop is a Thinkpad X300 and I can’t stand to use the keyboard on the Timeline 4810T, even for typing in URLs. Glad she likes it, though.

• TaBoVilla

where’s my pron? u said something for everybody! >=(

• Tumbleweed

#2, thanks. There’s a Fry’s fairly close to me, so that works out well.

• Inspector 2211

Yes, at Frys.com for $39.96 and in Frys retail stores also for the same price.

• Tumbleweed

Anyone seen a deal on Civ V?

• HisDivineShadow

Get it at Kmart, get a $20 gaming coupon. Despite the ad, it costs $49.99. Find a Kmart that has some Fallout New Vegas chips, buy those for $5, get another $15 gaming coupon. Use your two coupons to buy Fallout: NV. I’m sure it’ll come with a coupon, too, but for that, use your imagination.