Acer intros Core 2010-based TimelineX ultraportables

Look out, road warriors. Acer has expanded its lineup of ultraportable notebooks with fresh offerings based on Intel’s CULV 2010 platform. That means Core i3, i5, and i7 processors all around, with prices starting as low as $599.99 for the cheapest TimelineX 1830T variant.

The new family includes the 11.6" 1830T, 13.3" 3820T, 14" 4820T, and 15.6" 5820T, ranging from proper ultraportable to not really-all-that-ultraportable-but-still-sort-of-slim-and-light form factors. Acer wasn’t afraid to wander off the beaten path, either. The new TimelineX 1830T-68U118, for instance, packs a Core i7-680 1.46GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB hard drive, all for a suitably pricey $899.99—yet it still weighs in at 3.09 lbs. and has rated battery life of "up to eight hours."

Then there’s the 14-inch Aspire 4820TG, which features a Core i5 CPU and switchable Mobility Radeon HD 5620 discrete graphics from AMD. That variant starts at a surprisingly reasonable $799.99, but Acer doesn’t cite battery life or weight. (The regular 4820T is supposed to weigh about 4.7 lbs.)

• dpaus

Hmmm, I wonder what the graphics chip is in the 11.6″ i7 model? If it’ll drive a 30″ display with either dual-link DVI or DisplayPort, colour me ‘sold’

• ltcommander.data

It’s Arrandale’s built-in IGP. Whether the underclocked ULV version will drive a 30″ monitor I’m not sure. I believe it only has VGA and HDMI out though.

• FuturePastNow

VGA will, of course, drive a 2560×1600 display, but I don’t think anyone would want it to.

HDMI (1.3 and higher) will support dual-link DVI displays if it uses the type-B connector… which it never does. But hey, maybe Acer is the first.

§[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Connectors<]§

• Synchromesh

Yaaaaawn. Already had an Acer, thank you. If I needed a cheap laptop I’d buy a used Thinkpad over these any day of the week.

• XDravond

WOW Im having hard understanding this part is america really after europe in a release of computer stuff im currently writing this on a timeline x 4820tg
    and i had it for 2months and it wasnt even new to the market when i bought it….

(great machine smal minus for keyboard and bloatware but thats my personal thought)
    edit:(and the of course low quality screen)

XD

• OneArmedScissor

People on Anandtech said they bought some of these months ago. I don’t pay attention to specific models, but I definitely saw some Acer CULV Arrandale laptops a while back.

What they were likely doing was keeping attention off of those until the CULV Core 2 supply dried up. There was an oversupply of those, and Acer, in particular, had told Intel to f off with the CULV Arrandale platform when they shopped it around about a year ago, and just made more Core 2 laptops, instead.

• djgandy

There are different configurations of these models.

• bthylafh

I hope they’ll have a lower-end variant that hits the ~$400 price point my 1410 did.