Slick-looking BitFenix Survivor case coming in November

BitFenix’s first entry in the PC enclosure business was a tad garish, but I’ve gotta say, the company’s new Survivor case looks downright slick. And internally, it resembles the Corsair 600T we reviewed last month, with cable routing holes, a bottom-mounted PSU, and two modular, sideways-mounted hard drive cages (with what appear to be to be tool-less trays).

The Survivor also has dual USB 3.0 ports at the top, room for up to two 200-mm fans or three 120-mm fans, and mercifully, a button to disable the LEDs behind the glowing logo. BitFenix has also thrown in some neat additions for the LAN party crowd, including a slide-out handle at the top and a back-panel security system that purportedly locks down peripheral cables.

Look for the Survivor on store shelves in mid-November. There will be two variants: the full-blown Survivor, priced at $109, and the Survivor Core, which will sell for $89 and come without USB 3.0, LED fans, or the cable-locking scheme.

• indeego

Can’t see the apex of that handle but it looks like that would really pinch you something badg{<...<}g

• ludi

Put me in the column that thinks the “handle” is designed to cause permanent nerve damage. All that overwrought design, and yet it didn’t occur to them to mold the carry handle like a pistol grip or something?

OMGXBOXHEUG. I don’t thnk that would fit on my 60″x24″ table with folding legs that I use as a “desk”. Although with what appears to be no power/reset buttons, I guess I could keep it on my floor; my kid would never knock it over.

• sweatshopking

they’re on the top in that open bay thing

• spigzone

Beyond Poser.

That finger shredding space hog they call a handle is where the second 200mm fan should be … … where does the second 200mm fan go?

Those front slits have got to restrict the airflow.

No side fan opening??

Taking off the side panels obviously require FIRST doing something with at least the rear curved top and bottom parts as they overlap the panel … maybe the front too?

Top mounted jacks > gunk collecting suck.

This ‘hotshot’ dream peripheral company = unfolding nightmare.

How the hell did these experienced designers manage to come up with a POSER design like this?

• ronch

BitFenix? Who they?

• rika13

Only SNAFU I see is that they do not list any American availability or any American sites reviewing it. Would suck alot to have to deal with customs just for a computer case, even one that is practically designed to beat everyone else

• Forge

I’m pretty torn. On the one hand, it does have a nice, clean look. Not a lot of little fixtures, buttons and grills trying to get your attention.

On the other hand, WTF bulk. Those 5.25″ bays really do swim in all that real estate, and the handle does look absurdly uncomfortable.

The price isn’t too ridiculous, I’d buy one just to check out… If I had anything to put in it.

• flip-mode

That sums it up perfectly. Besides the handle I do like the aesthetic of the case. It does seem a little obese, but that does not bother me – I don’t move my computer around much.

• sweatshopking

maybe we should hook up if obesity doesnt bug you.

• flip-mode

hmm…. thinking….

• Sunburn74

Pretty sweet looking case. Notice how clean looking it is, without garish lights and fans and all that. I bet this thing insulates sound like nothing else. Looks very promising and totally waiting on the tech report review

• paulWTAMU

if the internals are as good as the Corsair 600, or close to, I’m in. I’ll just leave the handle down.

• albundy

50% wasted space? now made for snorks!

• StuG

ew

• Skrying

Finally! I always wanted an inch thick of plastic to surround my entire case making it larger than it should be!

• flip-mode

Periscope? R2D2? wtf?

Good golly, that’s a large case – the 5.25″ bays look dwarfish on that gigantor.

• ssidbroadcast

flip-mode is on the handle.

• flip-mode

lol. Is that a handle on your computer or is it just ugly? Seriously, that case is like Rosanne Barr in some sort of Sith outfit.

And look at the shape of that handle! Is that thing going to hurt the hand to carry? A square-edge handle on that heavy-arse case – are you frickin serious? All the feeling in your hand will be lost.

• OneArmedScissor

LOL! I’d award you one internets for that post, but it looks like that thing already ate them all. I guess that’s where its name comes from. Clearly, it was designed to have enough fatty deposits stored in the fallout shelter exterior so that you can climb inside to hibernate when nuclear winter comes.

• timbits

cases with frikken laser beams!

• BiffStroganoffsky

Add a laser option for the popup carry handle and I’m in.

• ClickClick5

Totally tape a lazer pointer to it!