Medal of Honor PC beta opens until October 7

If you’d like to get a taste of the new Medal of Honor before the full game comes out a week from Tuesday, now’s your chance. The Medal of Honor multiplayer open beta client is available at FileShack as a 1.58GB download; all you need to do to play is grab the installer and sign up for an EA account.

According to the open beta page, the demo includes two maps—the snow-covered Shahikot mountains and a smoke-covered hill top called Kunar base—as well as combat mission and sector control game modes. Combat mission is a sort of objective-driven campaign, whereas sector control is a "domination type game mode where players fight to secure and hold objective points." The open beta ends on October 7 at midnight, Pacific time.

Hopefully, this open beta is an improvement over this summer’s beta, which was offered to Battlefield: Bad Company 2 buyers on Steam. While the first beta had nice-looking graphics, the gameplay felt a little hacked-together, and I didn’t have a whole lot of fun playing. EA at least seems to be trying to fix boo-boos. On Friday, it gave the game a cheap sheen of political correctness, announcing that the Taliban team in multiplayer would henceforth be known as the "Opposing Force."

• Dizik

I played for an hour or so last night and enjoyed what I saw. I’ll play again tonight, which should be enough for me to determine whether or not I’ll be picking up a retail copy.

• Skrying

The beta I played back with the Bad Company 2 release was horrible. There’s no way I would want to play this.

• south side sammy

I played it for a couple of hours more or less. Plays smooth even at highest settings, no lagg. There are a few things to get used too but I’m already sick of both the maps you get to play. I’m booking on good SP action and I think it’ll be decent for that. Don’t know about replay-ability though. The COD games didn’t have much of that for me.

• jalex3

i was happy with the old beta, im getting the game for bf3 and its single player, but its looking much much better

• kamikaziechameleon

The sp is what I want to try for this game. Not so interested in the mp.

• lilbuddhaman

all 4 hours of it ?

• south side sammy

It actually plays pretty well and feels better than any of the COD titles….. BUT….. try being able to spend more than 2 minutes on any server before you get kicked….. WE NEED DEDICATED SERVERS…….

• BoBzeBuilder

That’s right, milk this genre dry, get in on Call of Duty’s success. Like the explosion of WWII shooters back in the day, but that got boring didn’t it.

• sweatshopking

who actually plays these games? COD was painful to play, MOH is too. these kind of shooters are not as much fun as say far cry… I like making maps, and then F’ing my friends over on them. that’s the best part. Don’t take out the creativity, or we have nothing left!

• DancinJack

Far Cry, the original, was very good. FarCry 2 was just awful in my opinion. Also I generally enjoyed the SP campaign from CoD 4. I still play the CoD games every once in a while, unlike the FarCry games.

• AssBall

What? Medal of Honor was out waaaay before CoD was. If anything it was CoD doing the milking.

• bill94el

Never has an AssBall been more right…