Poll: Your most anticipated PC game

Each holiday season, a torrent of new PC games floods the market. This year is no different, although publishers seem to be spacing things out a little more than they have previously. Nevertheless, there are numerous titles due out before the end of the year, most of which are sequels or expansions to existing properties. Which one are you anticipating the most? We’ve come up with a list of choices that covers most of the major releases slated to be released before January. Feel free to add anything we missed in the comments. You can cast your vote over on the right column on the front page or after clicking on the comment link below.

In last week’s poll, we tackled the subject of music, and more specifically, where you buy itβ€”or if you do at all. As it turns out, 42% of those who voted don’t buy their music. Yarrr. Of those who do, 16% purchase CDs online or via mail order, and another 12% pick up discs at retail stores. 11% download MP3s from Amazon, while only 9% go the iTunes route. 8% get their music online but use another service, and 2% stubbornly cling to vinyl.

• DeadOfKnight

Can I change my vote now that Fallout: New Vegas is out today?

• balzi

Space Quest 7

• BaronMatrix

Doom 4……FTW

• jpostel

whatever the next StarCraft 2 is episode is called, I’m buying.

• ronch

I hope these upcoming titles will make better use of our quad cores, and perhaps even as many cores as you can throw at it. Game developers should start drinking with programmers of supercomputer software, which use as many cores as Intel and AMD can sell them. Ok, these kinds of software are different, but until games can take advantage of aggregate performance from our CPUs, we’ll be stuck here forever because Intel and AMD can only do so much to improve IPC.

• vince

Is it me, or the game industry is getting more and more like the Hollywood movie industry, with all their sequels/remakes?…

I don’t mind /[

• Sunburn74

I guess I’m the only one interested in The Witcher 2.

• EndlessWaves

Yeah, there seems to have been virtually no mention of the interesting titles.

What about Brink? Interstellar Marines? Infinity: The Quest for Earth? The Return of American McGee’s Alice? And then of course there’s the unannounced next big thing from the likes of Egosoft and Bioware.

And for me the most anticipated announced game can only be one thing, Paradox’s Crusader Kings 2.

• yogibbear

No, it’s not listed in the poll. Hence every single vote in “other” is for the Witcher 2…. πŸ˜€

• Jambe

Torchlight 2 has me excited, but there’s an epic butt-ton of stuff coming out soon. It’s hard to pick just one game.

• David

I’m most anticipating GOG.com releasing Baldur’s Gate 2 without DRM or the need to swap between a million discs.

• l33t-g4m3r

I have to admit, their release of Torment has got me to once again attempt to finish it.

• holophrastic

it’s like no one (except grim) saw the deus ex 3 trailer. wow.

• GrimDanfango

That trailer was a superb bit of cinematic joy, and that’s coming from someone working in the VFX industry πŸ™‚

DX2 has nevertheless left me with a deep sense of suspicion that it’ll take a lot to overcome. So far what I’ve seen of the gameplay looks closer in style to 2 than to 1… hopefully that’s simply a result of the visuals rather than the game mechanics themselves. It’ll take me actually playing the game and seeing for myself before I’ll be convinced however.

I wonder, with ol’ Spector heading over to Disney… maybe Epic Mickey will be the true spiritual successor to Deus Ex πŸ˜›

• l33t-g4m3r

Doom4, DNF, maybe a few others.
    None on that list, and certainly not Diablo3. D3 is just another rehash with sub-par graphics, and has totally deviated from what made the originals great.
    One thing in particular I don’t like is how blizzard never lowers it’s prices.
    Good way to ensure I don’t purchase their games. I won’t spend 60$ like a sucker.
    Still haven’t bought starcraft2.

I’ve also been buying more drm-free titles than regular games too.
    I’m done supporting the police-state total surveillance grid.

• SonicSilicon

$40 MSRP for the Battle Chests which include two titles that were originally $60 each. Nevermind that $60 now is worth less than it was ten years ago. Also, ignore all of the content patches which are not [directly] charged for.

• l33t-g4m3r

What battle chest? The original most likely, since the new collector’s thing is like $100.
        Starcraft is what? 12 years old?
        After 12 years of charging that kind of money, they better push out a couple patches.
        That’s not some magical privilege we should be thankful for, they have to do that since they’re still selling the game.
        People who think blizzard is some great company are idiots.
        Blizzard’s been riding on the success of a very old game, and making gobs of money from it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but they certainly weren’t creating anything new, other than new ways of sucking the money out of your wallet.

• nafhan

Didn’t see an option for “Civ V has already been released” πŸ™‚

• Creech

Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3. None of the ones on the list really excite me. They may turn out to be great games, I’m just not anticipating their arrival.

• yogibbear

TF2 with polycount = practically a new game = gets my vote.

• bios_hazard

Everyone else was like, “I’m gonna pick Portal 2/HL3/DNF!!! oh… other *click*”

• Meadows

Observant of you.

• GrimDanfango

Man, after seeing this poll, I’ve realised what a piss-poor lineup we’ve got. I’ve always stood by the PC as a gaming platform, it’s never going to compete with consoles on sheer sales-clout, but it’ll always have interesting innovative niche games. Looking at this though, I’m getting worried… what a heap of dross!

The only IMPORTANT game for me is “From Dust”/”Project Dust”… Eric Chahi appears to have reasonably large testicles in an industry otherwise full of recycled crap. I really hope it turns out as fantastic as it appears at this mostly-tech-demo stage.

Besides that, I’m vaguely interested in seeing where Portal 2, Brink, Bulletstorm, Deus Ex 3 and Crysis 2 go… out of those, I’m hoping maybe two of them turn to do more than simply retreading old ground.

Oh, almost forgot… Telltale announcing Back to the Future adventure games. The second bit of PC gaming news to get me excited this year πŸ˜›

• Bensam123

No Old Republic, Firefall, or Battlefield 3?

All of them on that list are pretty bad. Not to be such a downer, but all of the games in the last five years or so have been pretty crappy, that’s why I’m playing WoW right now and I’m not even looking forward to Cataclysm. XD

I have been playing Civ5 every weekend with friends since it’s release though. Definitely has already seen more hours then SC2 did. That game was not worth half the hype.

• Voldenuit

l[

• ADRENALIN

Duke Nukem Forever.

• merkill

Jagged Alliance & the xcom clone the fanbased one not the fps crap.

• lethal

AC: bortherhood would probably be the title that looks more interesting.. if ubi takes out the always on drm that is.

• fantastic

Portal 2 and DNF, maybe. Maybe.

• lycium

D I A B L O 3

• NeelyCam

How about changing that to “I don’t play PC games”..? The way it is now makes it sound like console games aren’t real games.

I feel offended.

• MrBojangles

voted other. Personally I’m not so patiently waiting for diablo 3 to at least get a release date.

• Voldenuit

I’d just like to point out that voting ‘Buy?’ in the last poll does not necessarily equate with piracy. There are people who don’t buy music and/or listen to FM radio/net radio/pandora etc. whose habits are not covered in the poll options. When I’m driving, I like to turn the stereo off and listen to the engine. It drives my GF crazy. :p

• madmanmarz

Not really all that excited over Fallout 3 but voted anyway.

More excited for Fable 3 & HAWX 2

• Captain Ned

I’ll take a version of Grand Prix Legends that is happy running on XP/Vista/7 codebases.

• cegras

Any game with proper mouse sensitivity controls?

• TurtlePerson2

Fallout 3 is the only single player RPG on the list. Is it really the only RPG coming out this Christmas?

• madmanmarz

Fable 3 should come out also

• heinsj24

Two Worlds 2 (Import) should be available next week.
      Arcania – Gothic 4 was just released.
      Fable 3 may be out for the PC by Xmas.

• jalex3

all i can say is “other” i dont want anything but MOH and im waiting for it to bargin bin. RED ORCHERSTRA 2: HEROS OF STALINGRAD and its 3 wip mods are all i want.

• jalex3

and that bc2 expansion pack. im abim meh meh after seeing what dice did with moh i doubt bf3 will be that good

• bottlenecker

trackmania 2 FTW! You should try trackmania. addictive AND free!

• bottlenecker

TRACKMANIA 2 FTW!

• dashbarron

There are a few games farther out on the horizon that I’m really excited about, but similar to this past year in movies, I’m not really anticipating any release immediately forthcoming.

• OneArmedScissor

Starcraft 2. That mod with the WoW graphics doesn’t count.

• absinthexl

Halloween update for Minecraft.

• Jon

Rage….which is not listed.

• axeman

Probably because most people have learned Carmack Engine Update X.0 is just a tech demo to sell licenses for the technology.

• Jon

I read quote the opposite, that id Software will not be licensing the engine used in Rage and that Rage will in fact be a big title.

Whatever game I’ll be purchasing in the near future won’t be a big studio AAA game. I’ll support my indie developers. Last few games I’ve bought was: Recettear, M&B: Warbands and King Arthur. I did buy Master of Orion, but that’s not new. Speaking of which; STEAM WHERE IS HOMEWORLD 1/2 AND WHY ARE YOU NOT SELLING IT? DO YOU NOT WANT MY MONEY???

• burntham77

Every PC game should be on Steam, at least going forward. I am tired of managing discs and I love being able to go fully digital. Plus the Steam deals are great.

• EndlessWaves

Every game should be available digitally yes, but definitely not on steam exclusively.

You may be happy to put up with steam’s awful behavior, but I buy most of my digital games from the likes of GamersGate or Impulse so I don’t have to put up with the steam client.

• Majiir Paktu

GO HOMEWORLD 3, BABY!

• swaaye

The “AAA” companies were all indie startups at one point. πŸ™‚

• [+Duracell-]

I put down Cataclysm because that’s one of the only games I really care about on that list. Yes, I’m a WoW junkie, but I find it fun and engaging as opposed to the rest of the crap out there. The only other “new” game I play constantly is TF2 and that’s been around for 3 years now.

PC FPSes have gone down the crapper lately…BC2 failed in my eyes, MW2 is a joke because of the extreme console-itis it inherited.

Black Ops is the only other game on there that piques my interest. Dedicated servers are back, albeit you have to rent them, but that’s better than nothing at all. Lean, mod tools, everything a PC FPS game SHOULD have. And Nazi Zombies…that mode looks hella fun (I never played WaW). I just hope Treyarch doesn’t fuck it up, but if WaW is any indication, they probably won’t.

• Joerdgs

Portal 2, Crysis 2 and maybe Brink. So none that come out this sucky holiday.

• travbrad

Wow this list really shows how unoriginal games have become. Every single game is a sequel. Admittedly there are some great sequels out there, but it’s a bad sign when 100% of a “big games” list is sequels.

There are so many sequels they are running out of new sub-titles for them. They just gave up and called it “Medal of Honor”, the same as the Playstation game 10+ years ago :p

• urbain

Epic mickey L0L

• wingless

Star Wars: The Old Republic and Duke Nukem Forever are conspicuously absent from this poll….

• Deanjo

I don’t think either of them are coming out before Christmas and thus why they are not included on the poll.

• wira020

I voted Fallout:NV.. I think it’ll be GOTY this year… Am also anticipating Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2 and ME3..

• dextrous

GT5. The only reason to buy a PS3.

• Krogoth

More rehashes and console ports. The only game that list that is remotely interesting is FO3: NV. Because, it was developed by some of the original FO1 and FO2 team. I will wait for third-party reviews for it.

PC gaming is practically dead. It is just a former shell of itself.

DNF is going to be the biggest joke ever. The punchline is coming up.

Diablo 3 is going to be ActivBlizzard’s first major flop (FYI, original Blizzard/Blizzard North is dead). Because, they already milked the hack and slash niche to death with WoW. Diablo 3 is going to the same damm thing with updated graphics. I just don’t understand why people are so excited.

• PetMiceRnice

Because of DRM, I abandoned the PC as a gaming platform a couple of years ago. However, I may make an exception for Diablo 3 when it comes out. We’ll see.

A good enough game will bring you back for sure. Starcraft II brought me back. I haven’t turned on a console at all since late July. Which is really weird because I was one of those “console gaming is the best!” types. I guess I still am, but I keep a decent PC for a reason. πŸ™‚

• Peffse

I don’t think I’ll ever find a game good enough to justify buying DRM.
        I’ve passed on C&C3, passed on Bioshock, passed on… well, a ton of games I wanted. I want to buy them though, not rent them.

• Shambles

I’ve already passed on SC2 and Civ5 this year thanks to DRM.

• voodootronix

I know there’s some pretty annoying DRM out there, but surely most of the time you just put the disc in, type in the serial and let it authorise itself? I find it unlikely that you are a member of this website and do not have broadband.
            I still love PC games, even if they are mainly developed in parallel with console games as I get anti-aliasing, a lot more pixels, higher framerates and sexier post-processing. Games like Mafia II and indeed Civ V show that developers are still willing to make games that require bleeding edge systems to look at their best – and you can sit a couple of feet back from your 24″ monitor with a 360 pad and still get the simplicity and fun of a console game (once you’ve installed it!)

• Voldenuit

Don’t forget the games that need constant-on connections and authentication servers. There have been plenty of times when I have been unable to connect to a steam authentication server, or I will get kicked out of a game halfway because the game couldn’t find said server. Not to mention that whenever I launch a game, Steam stops all downloading, even if I’m playing single player and not using the connection at all. So if I want that update or download, I have to curtail my gaming activity, which is terribly annoying.

And let’s not forget that Steam is considered the best of the DRM crop in most circles. As much as I like to complain about the general uselessness of GFWL, I have to admit that I have *never* failed to connect to a GFWL server, unlike with Steam. And the Steam launcher is pretty temperamental for me, as well. Sometimes it will refuse to launch a game, but I can launch it directly from the command line or executable. It generally starts misbehaving after a day or two of uptime in my experience.

Maybe things will improve when I move back to the States, but it’s not perfect here in the Pacific region. That said, I still prefer Steam to GFWL because it’s a one-stop shopping solution and I don’t have to deal with dinky Monopoly(the board game)-money Microsoft points, and I’m glad that Fallout: New Vegas is not using any extra DRM on top of Steam.

• dmjifn

Pretty much me too. SC2 is the reason I accellerated my major PC upgrade. That said, the game I’m anticipating the most is actually GOW3. A little out of fashion now but I really liked it.

• designerfx

please don’t tell me you went console or something, because the console is drm by definition

• WaltC

I was about to make that very point…;) If PC’s have “DRM” then the DRM console schemes use is super-DRM by comparison…Perhaps he’s simply moved to DRM-less board games and card games like Monopoly and Go Fish!

• PetMiceRnice

My objection to DRM on the PC can range from forced activation, limited number of installs, having to use Steam (or the like), or having to have a persistent Internet connection. My console games don’t force any of these things on me. I bought a countless number of games for the PC from 1991 up until a couple of years ago, and I was sorry to drop out of it, but at least I hung on to a lot of my old games and I enjoy revisiting them here and there.

• EndlessWaves

Yes they do.

In what way is having to stick a CD in any time different from having to launch the steam client every time?

And of course the majority of games use even more discrete copy protection programs that behave much better than steam, the limited activation and required internet connection DRMs are just on a limited number of games from the less in touch publishers.

• ReAp3r-G

Bad Company 2 Vietnam. It’s an expansion of sorts, but still highly anticipated. πŸ™‚

• [+Duracell-]

Still going to be the same game, just in a different theater :-/

I was anticipating BC2 for quite a while, then the multiplayer got pretty stale pretty fast. The lack of map variety and never-ending Gustav spam is what killed it for me.

• ReAp3r-G

Yeah I realize that it’s just a different theater of war. I actually look forward to that compared to before MoH was released and CoD: Black Ops.

The Gustav spam issue is prevalent but it seems to be alright for now.

• codedivine

Waiting for something radically different πŸ™

• anotherengineer

Square soft, remake the entire Final Fantasy series for the PC please!!! Oh and Chrono Trigger also πŸ™‚

• NarwhaleAu

I will be buying a new PC and monitor in order to play Mass Effect 3 in all its glory.

Bioshock Infinite
    Portal2
    Half-Life 2: Episode 3
    Whatever the Half-Life team does after the two games above.
    Guild Wars 2
    Mass Effect 3

Any of those games would be higher on my list than anything on your poll. However, everything on both the poll and my list here is a sequel or milked franchise. It’s time for something good and new.

• EsotericLord

I’m also on the GW2 train. After the recent news about what the HoM does for you, Ive decided to invest my current fortune in climbing those ranks.

The game I’m looking forward to most this year is Fable 3.

Man some of you people can’t read. Dumbass questions like “Where’s Diablo III???” really deserve a boot to the face.

NFS for me, btw. I love Burnout (3 and Revenge were the best, but Paradise was good too) and the fact that the new NFS is Criterion makes it a must-own game. Wow.

• Meadows

You left out Duke Nukem Forever?
    YOU LEFT OUT DUKE NUKEM FOREVER?

Just because I know you can read (and some of the other dummies can’t) I’m a’ give you the benefit of the doubt. But in case you can’t read…

l[

• Meadows

Yes but the question is still too general. If the range of answers is deliberately kept short, then the question itself – which I admittedly skimmed in a hurry – should be more like “Which *[<*of the following*<]* games ... blablah?", for example.

Possibly, but I feel the entire opening paragraph being dedicated to the discussion of anticipated late-2010 releases might give it more than adequate context.

• LovermanOwens

Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, the Witcher 2, anything from those Respawn guys, and I am hoping that CoD:Bops is good. Anything in the MP area that doesn’t have hackers will be great as far as i am concerned.

• BKA

I so forgot about the Witcher 2. Certainly on my list but since its not coming out until next year it did slip my mind.

• RickyTick

I didn’t see Crysis 2.

• DaveJB

This poll is only covering games released over the holiday season. Crysis 2 isn’t scheduled for release until next Easter, AFAIK.

• RickyTick

Oh that’s right. I forgot they delayed it a few months.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Jagged Alliance 3

• KarateBob

The only games I care about are Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Rage.

• BobbinThreadbare

This is a weak year for AAA games. Rehash after rehash after sequel.

I voted other as I’m hoping something interesting will catch my eye this year.

• Ihmemies

Only game I can think of is Diablo 3. Probably other interesting games are coming but I don’t know about them.

• PsychicMuffin

2011 is going to have so many sick games, it’s hard to get excited about what’s coming out in the remainder of this year. Titles like Diablo 3, Portal 2, Dota 2, and Torchlight 2 are going to rock my world.

• sweatshopking

dota 2? wtf is that? rumors from valve? psssh hon is where it’s at.

• bowman

DOTA 2 DOTA 2 DOTA 2 DOTA2DOTA2DOTA2DERPDERPDERP

Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 too but Dota 2 will be out earlier, it seems. Maybe Torchlight 2 will be out before it.. Not sure.

• cmrcmk

Civ 5 and Elemental are already out, so I think I’m done for the year.

• mbutrovich

Where’s my Torchlight 2?

edit: No Dead Space 2 either?! Those are the only two PC games I care about for the next year. πŸ™

• Spyrano

Deus Ex 3!

• thesmileman

If they don’t screw it up like they did with the second version

• Spyrano

I’m still a bit wary of some tragedy like that happening again, but I’m cautiously optimistic it’ll be amazing. Hard to see how it could be better than the original, though.

• sjl

Word. It’s not that Invisible War is a bad game, because it’s not. It’s just that it felt like they didn’t even try to reach the (admittedly very lofty) heights of the first game. There wasn’t that feeling of scope and plausibility in the game – yes, okay, you were nudged in the directions envisaged by the designers in Deus Ex, but it /[

• blastdoor

Looking forward to Civ5 for Mac, and possibly playing one of the many games that I haven’t gotten around to playing yet (like GTA4 on my PS3, which has been sitting there unfinished for the last two years or so).

• kamikaziechameleon

Nothing this fall looks new enough or exciting enough to entice me. I hope that COD black ops is great, but I don’t expect it to be. Fallout looks like fallout no major improvements to the myrid of issues. MOH has already been out to luke warm reviews. I feel the biggest release of the year will be star craft and that game has been out for months.

• d0g_p00p

I voted other.
    Diablo 3, Rage, Portal 2, BulletStorm, Brink and Dungeon Keeper 3 are the games I am waiting for, none are on that list

• KinCT

How about a new “Myth” game… πŸ™‚ Definitely miss the neat storyline of those games.

I voted Fallout 3 and will pick it up ASAP on release. As much as I enjoyed Fallout 1 & 2, the third iteration blew them away from a visual perspective (stunning thought I know given the time between 2 & 3 and the technology leaps & bounds that we’ve taken).

• tejas84

Duke Nukem Forever of course!!!!

• thesmileman

Agreed. I was a focus tester at Gearbox a while back and got to play it and I am so freaking excited.

• cavedog

I voted Fallout: New Vegas but i am also waiting on R-factor 2.

Right now I am playing Mass Effect and once I am done i will be buying Mass Effect 2. It is quite nice I must say.

• Jigar

NFS FTW

• kilkennycat

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER (after December) — of course… but only if the retail version has the Borderlands non-intrusive/revocable DRM in its SP mode…..

As for the list presented…..mostly warmed-over money-grubbing retreads….ho, hum……yawn…… zzzzzzzzzzz……….

Anything with a Steam umbilical, mandatory GFW umbilical, non-revocable DRM, or is a quick PC hack of a console title is always off my purchase list anyway.

• kvndoom

Duke Nukem 4Ever!!!

• flip-mode

Can’t say anything there is particularly exciting. Mabye Fallout: New Vegas, but I’m really holding out for Portal 2.

Just picked up both Left 4 Deads. Gonna play with those for a bit.

Games I haven’t played but want to:

BF:BC2
    Dead Space
    Amnesia
    Borderlands expansions (kinda tepidly considering)
    Just Cause (maybe)

• sweatshopking

you need just cause, see my forum thread for more info.

Really though, there’s nothing exciting coming out. Does ANYONE on techreport play heroes of newerth? That game just gets better and better.

• Sumache

I know it’s not a pc game but I’m just gonna say I’m anticipating the Goldeneye remake far more than any pc game this holiday season…

• tam1138

Dawn of War 2: Retribution

• DrDillyBar

Of that list, maybe NFS.

• bthylafh

Fallout, purely on strength of how good FO3 was.

I’ll still let you people test it for me so I know I’m not wasting my time, though.

• BoBzeBuilder

Among this pile of console port stink, Fallout Vegas is the only one that stands out.

• Silus

I chose Other, but I probably shouldn’ have voted, since the games I’m waiting for, only come next year. Specifically Rage and Crysis 2.

• Disco

I agree. I’m not really that interested in any of those games. I still have a few waiting for me that I bought on Steam sales over the past 6 months. Plus Starcraft 2 which I haven’t had time to play yet.

My anticipated games are coming next year. Rage, Crysis 2, Portal 2, and I’m curious how DNF will turn out.
      ***edit***
      And I almost forgot Dead Space 2 which should also be great.

• wabbit

I’m waiting for Heroes of Might and Magic 6 and Mass Effect 3… I guess I’m going to skip this holiday season πŸ™‚ Also Portal 2, but that one is coming out 2011 as well. Hedgewars will have to do in the meantime.

• pmonti80

Same for me, but add Dragon Age 2 and already here Civ 5.

• BKA

Wait, theres a Trackmania 2 coming out?

• BKA

Voted for Fallout New Vegas since its the only game I plan to buy in the near future. Even sprung for the CE since it didn’t follow the $99 trend of CE lately.

• Sargent Duck

Fallout: Vegas for me. Although I continue to hold out hope for HL2:ep3 or HL3

• shatter

diablo 3 .. lord of terror..we shall meet again..

• Clint Torres

D3, Baby!, FTW!!!

• DeadOfKnight

My thoughts exactly.

• draksia

How is that not on the list?

Because it’s not coming out by the end of the year. Did you actually read the freakin post?

• yuriylsh

+1. My choice as well

• designerfx

bingo, that’s exactly what I wa sthinking

• andy9o

only game I’m really excited about…

• Buzzard44

this

• jrr

Most of those aren’t PC games! They’re console games with PC ports!

/duck

• khands

Nah, no need to duck because it’s true.

• Peldor

Does Farmville 2 count?

• ClickClick5

Not to be mean, but the question was for the most anticipated “PC game”. A game that your PC would be honored to show its power in playing…not something that makes the IGP breeze through.

“DAM* IT! Browser games ARE NOT GAMES! Stop disrespecting your computer!” ~ ScootedMonkey

• Peldor

That’s why Farmville 2 will have each blade of grass and pile of cow poop lovingly rendered in hardware-accelerated browsers.

Ah, progress!