AMD CEO confirms next-gen Radeon launch

The last rumor predicting the launch date of AMD’s Radeon HD 6000 series pointed to a vague November release. However, AnandTech noticed that AMD CEO Dirk Meyer was quite a bit more specific during yesterday’s earnings call: "We will be launching our second-generation DX11 graphics offerings next week." Well, that settles it.

Of course, retail availability will lag behind the official launch. Meyer only committed to having all members of the 6000 line shipping by the end of this quarter. Volume is expected to be in the "hundreds of thousands" of units, though. I suspect we’ll see at least one member of the new line emerge well before the end of the quarter. AMD wouldn’t want to miss out on the holiday buying season, now would it?

• tviceman

The cards coming next week aren’t going to be too exciting from a performance perspective. It sounds like they made more strides on performance/watt and performance/die space, but strictly insofar as performance is concerned, something to compete with a gtx 460 and is slower than a gtx470 isn’t particularly exciting.

• flip-mode

Depends on price. Price could make it exciting. Lets pretend the 6870 will launch for $225: 5870 performance for $225 is very exciting to me – I don’t need a card, but I’d want to buy that.

• Flying Fox

For me who have been holding out with a lowly GT 240, this will be a great card to play SC2 and other games before the holidays. Looks like the 6870 may be the ticket, even it if goes up to $250.

• Ethyriel

I’m all for a chip a bit faster than a GTX460, with even lower power draw and heat dissipation.

• bbo320

My HD 2600XT Isilence III is getting a little long in the tooth. I’m waiting for a deal on a mid-range card like a HD 5770.

• fantastic

I look forward to the reviews.

Please let there be a decent passively cooled replacement for my 4670. The fan rattles and I don’t want to play with aftermarket heatsinks, despite it being a decent card.

• ssway

AMD CEO: “We’re quit happy to let Apple make all the money in the world.”

• danny e.

comment story fail.

• can-a-tuna

You can add Intel to that while your are at it.

• Duck

I’m still not clear 100%. So next week we can expect a 6850 which will replace the 5750? Kind of midrange / upper midrange card to compete with a 460 GTX?

• khands

Next week we can expect something from the 6000 series, whatever it is that they launch.

• GrimDanfango

Seems we can expect the full mainstream-to-enthusiast segment to be released by December, starting with the upper-mainstream stuff. Gotta wait another month for the killer cards to start appearing 🙂

• Game_boy

Some listings are out and suggest ~$200 for the 6850 and $250 for the 6870. It’s rumoured that the 6870 beats the 5850, so the 6850 should beat the GTX 460.

In other words it doesn’t change the overall price/perf picture that much. However Cayman next month will destroy the $300+ bracket.

• BoBzeBuilder

Meh, don’t care unless they release an AGP version. My S754 is still going strong.

• bdwilcox

2001 called. It wants its technology back.

• Kurotetsu

l[

• indeego

PCIE-X V4 for me or I don’t budge from my chairg{<.<}g

• stdRaichu

I’m only upgrading if they support ISA and allow Crossfire over my parallel ports. And rampantspeculationweekly.com said that the delay is due to Meyer being an alien from Vega, where it’s currently space-Ramadan, and the release of graphics cards in this earth week is absolutely prohibited by space-laws.

• Sargent Duck

BAH!

Wake me when they have a video card capable of interfacing with my vacuum tube and punch-card set-up. Then I’m gonna whine and complain about it being so expensive.

• Yawn

Booz Allen Hamilton called back — they don’t want the job.

• bcronce

Based on you still having and AGP slot, I will venture to say that my $400 netbook will out perform your machine and run 8 hours on batteries.

Having any current PCIe videocards would be a waste on an AGP system because the limit CPUs would bottleneck on anything that would use a PCIe card.

• glynor

No way your netbook outperforms my Opteron 170 @ 2.7GHz on a N-Force 3 board with with a X1950 AGP card. Yeah, they made a few of those N-Force 3 socket 939 boards (mine is a Gigabyte one, and it still rocks).

I use it as my “isolation” machine for when people ask me to help fix their virus/malware laden machines, and as an Ubuntu box for fun. It isn’t one of my “primary” machines, but it is certainly no slouch.

• thesmileman

Could you imagine load times over an AGP bus for a 1.5-2GB card? Wow that would suck.

• Farting Bob

Could you imagine doing anything on an AGP card? I hear minesweeper only gets 6-9fps using the latest AGP cards, The phrase “Will it play doom 1” is commonly uttered and that 3DMark actually records a negative score. How people even managed to kill the most basic nazi vampire horde back then i dont know.

• kravo

well, I remember I could step away from the nails flying out of the enemy’s nailgun, cuz my vcard was lagging so badly. Can’t remember what it was though…s3trio?

• BiffStroganoffsky

Ignore the braggarts, I fully support your stance. Now, if they can get SLI for EISA, I’ve got a quad socket board waiting!

• bdwilcox

EISA? Keep dreaming! VESA local bus maybe, but definitely not EISA.

• flip-mode

No 754 socket CPU is worthy of a new card.

• glynor

As I mentioned above, they made a handful of Socket 939 AGP boards. I have a Gigabyte one with a NForce 3 chipset still in service.

They never really “took off”, but mine was a nice smooth way to upgrade slowly. I was able to move to a nice Opteron 170 socket 939 chip, but keep my AGP video card for a while longer. Then later, I just upgraded to a A8R32-MVP (which has subsequently been sold) when I was ready for my first PCI-e board.

• vargis14

i have a old socket 939 board nforce 3 150 asus with a gig of registered corsair memory with heat spreaders and a fx53 @ 2.9ghz with a old x800xt surf the web fine long in the tooth for gaming though

• Yawn

They’re sleeping on the AGP version until they can get it below $1 / GB

• Welch

Hey guys… give him a break…. My MSI 5200FX is still running strong………. Boxed up in my old computer case never to be used again! I think i’m going to bury it in that old case too, sort of like a coffin!

• odd

Bwaaaahahahahahaaaa! Good for you, Bob.
      I had an Ati HD3850 AGP with my 3700+ Athlon64 and the system rocked, until multi-thread optimised Supreme Commander forced an upgrade upon me.

• khands

Finally can put all the rumors to rest next week, YAY!

• bdwilcox

Wonder what the delay is? Maybe trying to get as many of their older chips out of the stream as possible before launching their new offerings?

• designerfx

we can speculate all we want but I doubt there’s a solid answer

• ew

If I were AMD I’d want to have expensive 5850 and 5870s around at launch so that the less expensive 6850 and 6870 look worthwhile when. The prices for 5850 and 5870s will probably plummet after all the reviews make the conclusion that the 6850 and 6870 are better value per $ even though they are slightly slower then their replacements.