Microsoft: 240M Windows 7 licenses sold since launch

Tomorrow, Windows 7 will celebrate its first birthday. Microsoft kicked off the party a little early this morning, posting an announcement filled with hype and endorsements—plus the news that, so far, “more than 240 million” Windows 7 licenses have been sold.

Is that a lot? Well, as we told you back in ’08, Microsoft managed to sell over 100 million Windows Vista licenses during the first year of availability. Windows XP sold about 89 million licenses during its first year.

Since the PC industry is a perpetually growing beast, one must look at the numbers above within the context of PC shipments to compare them fairly. Let’s look at XP vs. Win7 first, since both OSes came out in late October of their respective launch years. Gartner reported 132.4 million PCs shipped in 2002, the year after XP’s release, and it expects PC shipments to hit 367.8 million in 2010. Ergo, Windows XP sales were equivalent to 67% of 2008 PC shipments, while Win7 sales should work out to 65% of 2010 PC shipments.

Making a direct comparison with Vista is harder, since that OS came out in late January of 2007. If we throw caution to the wind and match up the 100 million Vista licenses sold during the first year with the 264 million PCs shipped in ’07, however, we get a much lower figure—only 38%. Yes, it looks like Windows 7 is proving more popular than Vista was. You heard it here first, folks!

• Krogoth

Never understood the problems with Vista.

Almost all of the common ones were not its “fault”.

Older programs that didn’t work correctly under a LUA and immature drivers. The vast majority of them were solved by SP1.

I think most of the rage from enthusiast came from people who jump onto 8800 bandwagon + Vista (late-2007). Nvidia’s Vista drivers for the 8800 series were clearly in alpha/beta status. This crowd put the blame on their favorite scapegoat (MS). The XP luddites use this rage as additional fuel for their own set of rants. On the bottom of the list there were the IT people who had to deal with pains of older programs and platforms that refuse to work under LUA.

Average Joe got confused by the massive FUD.

• swaaye

So, umm, as long as you didn’t do much of anything with Vista for about a year, or have an NV video card, it was an amazing piece of software from day one.

I don’t think that’s how an OS is or should be judged. OSs have an ecosystem around them. MS didn’t make sure the backwards compatibility was bulletproof enough, which was stupid because that’s their bread and butter. I don’t know if they did but they should have jumped on that NV problem because it affected millions of people and it was affecting their product as much as NV’s.

I do remember some hotfixes around when Crysis came out that fixed some significant flaws in the OS for gaming. Like 940105, for example. Oops, I guess.

One really ugly aspect to the ordeal were the shitty OEM PCs without enough RAM and slow HDDs that made Vista a really horrible experience. That is a combination of MS’s fault and the OEM’s. Switching to XP literally turned those molasses machines into speedy computers.

I didn’t really think it was that bad, but I also didn’t think it was really worthy of moving to for any particular reason. Windows 7 is obviously a very similar OS but with gobs of fixes and streamlining and definitely makes Vista look like garbage IMO.

• NeXus 6

I’m not surprised. XP is getting near Win9x status and Vista just doesn’t matter anymore. Vista was promoted badly and had the usual growing pains of a new OS. It got better after SP1, but by then nobody cared and had either gone back to XP or was waiting to upgrade from XP to Win7.

• swaaye

They’re gearing up for that next 240M copies when Windows 8 comes in about a year or so and makes Windows 7 irrelevant too. 😀

• indeego

I still work on a few Vista boxes and Microsoft did a great job in marketing Windows 7 as the -[

• flip-mode

Correct. People never believe it when I say this but I actually have MORE compatibility problems and buggy issues with Windows 7 than with Windows Vista. Windows Vista was a smoother ride for me. /dons flame suit

• Meadows

I can only agree with this man.

Not moving away from Vista until they bring the sort bar back.

• Ryu Connor

What’s sad was the nerd rage of some enthusiasts unleash at the mere mention that Win7 is Vista with another Service Pack. Hint: It is. Every under the hood change could be ported to Vista in an SP.

Even Axeman below (#12) carries on the myth about Vista being piggier than 7. SuperFetch never was understood and the VSS can be adjusted to a lower value freeing up all that HD space people freak out about. These minor changes are exactly what 7 did.

Welcome to reality folks, the old thing you hate *is* the new thing you love.

• Voldenuit

You’re neglecting the state of Vista at launch.

Don’t forget that at launch, Vista had issues like massively understating system requirements, resulting in OEM PCs that were slow and unresponsive. Crashes were frequent (at least part of the blame has to go to 3rd party drivers, but the end user doesn’t care). Application performance was abysmal and UAC was incredibly intrusive and inconvenient (sometimes a single action can spawn multiple UAC requests). Battery life was poor. And a lot of people cared back then about the death of hardware accelerated audio.

Fast forward to SP2, and performance had improved to the point where it was as fast or faster than XP in many apps and games. It didn’t crash as much anymore (both these improvements were probably due mostly to nvidia getting their act together). Since everyone had stopped using EAX, the loss of hardware audio didn’t hurt as much anymore, and UAC was streamlined to be slightly less annoying.

Windows 7 was pretty much the same with the addition of some UI tweaks, an even less intrusive UAC, and the return of multiple WDDM drivers (a feature that had been around since NT4). But it was a darn sight better than Vista at launch.

Similarly, my experience of XP-64 bit at the start of its life until I replaced it as my main desktop OS a year ago could not be more polar.

When people criticise Vista, they usually criticise it pre-SP1, and Microsoft should rightfully bear the slurs for the state (and ecosystem) they released the operating system in.

• Krogoth

Hardware accelerated audio was already dead by Vista’s release. It was dropped for a reason.

The only people who gave a fuss were people running legecy games with EAX.

• Ryu Connor

q[

I like how enthusiasts have the thickest nostalgia goggles on for XP. I remember is as a bloaty, crashy Win2K until SP2. I still have Win98SE on a VM to keep reality in check.

• packfan_dave

Well, I guess if XP was Win2K with a UI refresh, some more time for hardware makers to write drivers on a new model, and mostly minor upgrades otherwise (which it pretty much is), then you can say the same about Win7 and Vista.

• axeman

It does seem Windows 7 improved on the resource hogging though. As far as compatibility and stability, there doesn’t seem to be much difference.

• alex666

I agree. I installed Vista fairly early on a fresh build and had few problems. This was well before SP1. I always was curious about all the problems people reported. Sure, some programs were incompatible, but it was a new OS. The SPs cleaned it up even more. I have a 64 bit version on a laptop.

I like W7 and rarely have problems. But it almost seems like the final version of Vista.

All those positive statements about Vista notwithstanding, MS should still roast in hell for a while for minimizing the hardware requirements for Vista. They shot themselves in the foot big time. And many of their DX10 claims were blatant lies IMHO.

• flip-mode

q[

• PetMiceRnice

I bought a new laptop in the summer of 2009 (which I’m using right now) with Vista on it. I wasn’t sure what to expect after all the negative stuff I’d heard about Vista, but it’s turned out to be very solid for me. It might have been different if I’d gotten it before Service Pack 1 came out, but I can’t complain about my experience with Vista.

• paulWTAMU

the only problems we had with vista were because we have software that will only work on XP (not older, nor newer; thou shalt use XP only). That sort of stupidity isn’t microsoft’s problem

Well, Win7 was good enough to bring me back from the Mac, so I have to say I believe it.

• axeman

I have to say that while Windows 7 is marginally better than Vista, the aesthetics of every version of Windows is terrible. It still feels like an ancient OS, if that makes any sense. It’s really hard get too exited about a new skin on the same old garbage, like the same old tired design of MMC consoles for everything in the control panel with slightly updated icons and fonts. On the usability front, it’s probably worse. Windows 7 “fixed” things like the display control panel Vista turned into a convoluted mess, it’s still not terrible good, we’re happy since it’s less dumb than Vista. They “fixed” hiding the shutdown command in a menu behind a meaningless widget, but “fixed” it further by not asking for user confirmation, so now I get to accidentally shutdown if I’m not careful enough. The simplest things in Windows are such a mess compared to Mac and even many Linux desktop environments. We would be so much more aware of this if most of us weren’t so used to the terrible “standard” Windows sets with usability. Windows 7 isn’t 1 step forward and 2 back, but it feels like 2 forward and one back.

Why do you think iOS sales are through the roof? Simple, intuitive interface (for the most part). I haven’t seen Windows Phone 7 yet, I hope it is a big step forward, we really need it. Microsoft’s previous efforts at mobile computing show how really inept they are, they have the resources to do whatever they want, yet creating a platform that people *want* to buy into, rather than something they’re pretty much already locked into, isn’t something they have a lot of experience with.

• Synchromesh

Please. The fact that they didn’t rework interface completely is a good thing, not a bad one. Otherwise, people coming from XP and Vista would have to relearn everything yet again. It took me mere hours to get comfortable with 7 after using XP for 8 years.

W7 is also the reason I’m not going all OS X on my systems. I think it has its flaws and good sides but overall it is not worse than OS X for even a power user.

• axeman

The fact they refuse to rework things more is why I think Windows 7 isn’t that great. What they do change is almost inevitably half baked. Windows 7 just fixed some of the obvious flaws with Vista, and that’s not enough. Apple started compositing windows on the GPU in 2002. Windows added this in Vista, except Microsoft’s version doesn’t really do anything useful except make it look pretty, while requiring a lot more from the hardware. Now with Windows 7, they made it a little better, but still hasn’t caught up to the feature the competitors have, not even close. I don’t think Windows 7 is terrible, it is a worthy successor, but somehow feels stale despite being new. The 90% market share Windows enjoys is mostly about the path of least resistance, not because Windows is doing anything special, Windows 7 is enough to stop Microsoft’s marketshare from eroding, but I doubt it’s good enough to win much back.

• Voldenuit

Things windows 7 has that OS X doesn’t:
            * TRIM
            * ‘more’ 64-bitness (no need for 64 bit applications to launch 32 bit windows via a separate process – not sure if they’ve fixed this in Lion yet)
            * Aero Snap/Peek
            * Jump Lists
            * Powershell (better than OSX Terminal)

Things OSX has that windows 7 doesn’t:
            * Moar battery life
            * Exposé
            * Spaces

I’d say it’s hard to definitively put one OS ahead of the other. OSX is notably lacking TRIM support, but on the other hand, it’s so much better at conserving battery life it’s not funny. They’re both a lot more usable than 95/XP or System 7/8 was, that’s for sure.

• TEAMSWITCHER

I’m a Windows developer who uses a mac. I switch back and forth between to the two environments daily to do different tasks. I can tell you without any hesitation that Snow Leopard is superior.

Windows is a very click-happy OS and the system dialogs are overly complicated. The UI looks nice, but not better than OS X. Development-wise, Windows is train-wreck of technology. The system registry is a stupid idea 15 years old an counting. There are worthless and confusing file junctions to support legacy applications. Important folders like ProgramData are hidden by default, just like file extensions. .NET has become just as difficult to support as the different versions of Windows. WPF is rendered worthless by all the cheap Windows notebooks that have crappy Intel graphic processors. The Global Assembly Cache is the final nail in the coffin, after 15 years of failure, developers still have to put all their stuff in one place, well two, now that we have .NET 4.0 and it’s own GAC.

I’m sorry for the negativity but Windows is the bane of my existence.
          Macs are selling well for a reason…They Are Better!

• WaltC

/[

• axeman

What I mean is sales of one are increasing at a faster rate. I’d hope with 90% of the market Windows is still selling a lot of copies. If we look up some web stats for OSes that client machines visiting websites are running year after year, Windows is slipping while both OS-X and iOS are gaining.

• WaltC

There aren’t any iOS computers out there…;) Yes, OS X may be gaining in the sense that its share of the world market last quarter was 3.6%, a purported gain of .3% from the quarter before–but the world-wide share for the Mac OS, any Mac OS, has been <5% for at least the last 20 years. So really, there’s almost no growth at all taking place.

• jackbomb

Win95 brought me back from the Mac. Win7 just makes me proud to be a PC. And best of all it was my idea!

*does a tongue push up*

• ClickClick5

We had a Microsoft rep come in today to show off the Windows Phone 7 platform. (Not Windows 7 Phone, as he says)

Talk about cool. Prototype phones, thirty min of phone play time…

Today is much better than yesterday!

He also talked about the sales of 7.
    (the phone was cooler)

• Usacomp2k3

2 more weeks here in the US…

• kamikaziechameleon

opps……….

• flip-mode

I wish you wouldn’t even publish Microsoft’s bogus numbers Cyril. They padded with Windows XP “downgrade” sales and we all know it, so why publish bad data?