Kingston adds SSNow V+100 line with 32-nm flash memory

Kingston has announced a new version of the SSDNow V+ SSD we reviewed earlier this year. The original drive had a Toshiba controller, along with flash memory built via 43-nm process technology. This latest version, dubbed the SSDNow V+100, sports flash chips built on a 32-nano process. The memory is still provided by Toshiba, as is the controller, which hails from the same family as the first drive.

A combination of controller and firmware tweaks have been applied to allow the drive to better take advantage of its new NAND, and Kingston says performance is up as a result. According to the company, we can expect the V+100 to outrun its predecessor by as much as 25%. Oddly, though, the drive’s sequential read and write speed ratings remain unchanged at 230 and 180MB/s, respectively. The SSDNow V+’s sequential throughput was pretty competitive when we tested the drive, but random-write performance was a definite weakness. We don’t yet know whether that issue has been addressed with these controller and firmware tweaks.

SSDNow V+100 models will be available with 64, 96, 128, 256, and 512GB capacities with prices ranging from $220 to nearly two grand. Like previous Kingston SSDs, you’ll be able to these as bare drives or bundled with a USB enclosure, drive rails, cloning software, and associated cabling. The bundle only adds $16 to the cost of the drive, so it’s a pretty good deal if you’re going to be migrating an existing system to the SSD.

The 128GB SSDNow V+ has already fallen to $277 online, making Kingston’s $390 suggested retail price for a V+100 with the same capacity more than a little ambitious. I’d expect street prices on the V+100 line to be considerably lower, especially considering this probably won’t be the fastest SSD around.

• wira020

I though smaller manufacturing tech was supposed to bring the cost lower… I remember Intel saying that it would.. wtf..

• tanker27

Where is that fabled $1:1Gig ratio? It like Bigfoot or unicorns…..

• indeego

Q4 2011g{

• tay

Yeah i bought a 64 GB SSD for $120 nearly 4 months ago. I guess next summer a 128 GB SSD will be $120. I plan on upgrading my desktop and moving the 64GB SSD elsewhere.

• OneArmedScissor

I bought a 64GB SSD for $120 a full year ago. The prices move – just not necessarily down, as people seem to expect. There’s certainly plenty of demand for flash memory of all shapes and sizes and that’s not going to change.

• BoBzeBuilder

WTH why so expensive? With so many companies competing, I expected prices to go down but no, new drives are released at higher prices. Give me a 512GB drive for $150 and I’ll be happy.

• OneArmedScissor

They’re not going to cost that much. They “announce” new drives seemingly at the end of every year, and they never end up costing what their MSRP is. This is the V+ line, though, so it won’t be cheap.

Competition or not, people aren’t going to produce these things and sell them below cost.

• mesyn191

Die shrinks should make them much cheaper. This is just typical “new product” price gouging that you always see. Give it a couple of months, should be more reasonable.

• travbrad

There may be a lot of companies making the drives, but so much of the cost is in the flash memory itself, there is only so much they can do. You would think a smaller process would make things cheaper though…not more expensive.

• flip-mode

The prices sound way too high. Starting from $220? Does that mean the 64 gig model will be $220? Does that seem way high to anyone else?

• OneArmedScissor

It’s the same way with the current V+ line. They’re hugely disproportionate to everything else, while the normal V series is almost always the cheapest.

What really throws me is that the 30GB drive seems to use the same controller as the V+ models, and that’s how it uses so little power. I was hoping they’d drop that and just start them at 60GB at the same price, which would be perfect for laptops, but no such luck, apparently.

• TO11MTM

You can often get them for considerably less money… I paid 230$ for my 128GB V+, 270 before rebate.