Poll: What’s tops on your Christmas list?

Every holiday season brings a fresh batch of new hardware, and this one will be no exception. Sandy Bridge is due early in the new year, AMD has next-gen mobile platforms on the way, iPad alternatives are finally slated (sorry) to hit the market in droves, and a fresh crop of games is ready for harvest. Throw in a collection of new graphics cards and the always tempting realm of solid-state storage, and there’s no shortage of options for your Christmas list. So, for this week’s poll, we’re asking, what’s on the top of yours? You can cast your vote over on the right column on the front page or after clicking on the comment link below.

In last week’s poll, we probed your interest in the latest bunch of mid-range graphics cards to hit the market. A slim majority of folks are sold on the new Radeon HD 6800 series, with 30% favoring the 6870 and 21% looking to save a few bucks with the 6850. Only 3% would buy a GeForce GTX 460 768MB, but 14% would pick up the 1GB version, and another 12% are ready to shell out a little more for something with 800MHz+ clock speeds. 9% of those who voted would opt to spend more on a high-end graphics card, and 7% would spend less on a budget offering. The remaining 4%, well, they like to whine.

• jstern

I chose SSD. Not only would it make my computer load things faster, but also, I would be able to stop handling my laptop as if it was the precious queen of England, because I’m afraid that the slightest little bump could damage my hard drive. Seriously, after 8 years of using laptops and handling it as it was worth a million dollars, this would an amazing thing, psychologically. Not that I would start being rough with it.

• marvelous

I really want a toilet and bed computer. ipad would be sweet.

Current CPU and GPU situations are minuscule bumps from the last gen at best. I rather wait for a real upgrade. Not that there are enough demanding PC titles other than console ports even a 3 year old computer can push easily.

• Buzzard44

I find it hard to get too giddy about new CPUs. Although they do excite me, and mark some great new advancements, I rarely even fully utilize my E8400. I’m willing to wager that the vast majority of gamers/(non-server consumers) ever utilize more power than a Ph2 955 can provide, and that can be had for pretty darn cheap. Graphics is the bottleneck of the 2010s.

Edit: I wrote this comment with performance desktop CPUs in mind. Of course, better power consumption is better.

• anotherengineer

I game and I hardly use my 955BE whatsoever. Source engine usually only works 1 core. Even a dual core amd 240 (2.8ghz) is far beyond most peoples needs.

• halbhh2

I’ll pay about $80 or so for a 64gig or more SSD that performs well (writes at 120+, reads 200+), maintains itself for years without my effort, will last years without failing, and I just never have to think about.

I’ll buy it when it meets those standards.

Engineers are working hard to please me.

• crsh1976

I’m holding off on hardware upgrades; I’m skipping the current 1366/1156 sockets until Sandy Bridge is out, I’m waiting for Sandy Bridge to get a nice SSD, and I don’t need a new video card yet as my 5770 does the trick for the time being. I don’t care about Ontario/Zacate or a tablet.

It’s going to be games, games, games.

• Vaughn

A 160GB Intel G2 SSD was last years gift to myself.

The 4890 might get the boot this year.

• PetMiceRnice

Out of poll options listed, I would take a trunkload of games. But what I’d really like is the new Western Digital TV Live Hub with the built-in 1TB hard drive.

• indeego

Dayum. Am I the only Atheist up in this hizzouseg{

• stdRaichu

Not quite… but I’m not fundamentalist enough to not spend my christmas bonus on that ASrock Vision 3D HTPC if it ever actually goes on sale…! FSM be praised I have a spare 60GB SSD knocking around to chuck in it.

• Dashak

Yeah, that may have been a slip-up by Geoff. TR is usually pretty good at keeping R&P to a minimum… and the holiday season is something a lot of people celebrate because everyone is doing it. But you already knew that. You’re just looking for a reaction.

• srg86

I don’t play games, so my GPU is fine and SSDs are still too expensive to be practical imho, so Sandy Bridge it is!!!

• DeadOfKnight

Wake me when they have a 2TB SSD for $1000. 2015, maybe?

• sigher

You mistyped 2035.

• yogibbear

All i want for christmas is my surgery that i had 18 months ago to finally heal. If that happens then i’ll be very happy.

• kmieciu

Smartbook with dual core Cortex A9

• Meadows

Nothing fancy, either an Asses GTS 450 videocard, or a higher-clocked Athlon II X4, or if light shines upon my life, then both.

I’m stashing considerable cash away just in case excrement hits the air conditioning again.

• ssidbroadcast

“Asses” GTS 450? Sounds like that video card stinks…

• blubje

mytouch g4 looks cool; too bad our current tmobile contract doesn’t allow _upgrades_ to an unlimited data plan. (without incurring $200 cancellation fee).

• BoBzeBuilder

Good grades. School is hard.

Oh yea… and also, getting some, especially since I’m not married. Help me out boys.

• ssidbroadcast

Sorry, I’m not into guys.

• jcw122

Buying myself an Acer Tablet!

• swampfox

Christmas came early: just got a Samsung Galaxy S

• wingless

I’m terribly torn between the newly cheap 1090T and a 6870 (or GTX470) for Christmas. I have an HD4870 and a PII-940. The GPU will likely yield the most bang for my buck though.

Either way, this is going to be an AWESOME holiday season for hardware.

• Buzzard44

Man, you need to upgrade that Pentium 2. I’m surprised to see that you have a motherboard that’ll support a Pentium 2 and a 4870. Trust me, that processor is definitely your bottleneck.

• DeadOfKnight

I’m just gonna take a wild guess and say that P stands for “Phenom”

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the comment you were replying to was sarcasm.

• sigher

I think you’ll fall since that limb won’t hold you.

• albundy

what do i want for xmas? less work and more me time.

• Forge

I’d very much like an i7-980X. I had planned to pick one up before now, but haven’t had any financial luck.

• henfactor

The amount of sex talk in these comments amuse my teenage brain.

• 5150

Well, a little advice for you, have sex with someone A LOT BEFORE you get married. Save yourself some heartache and frustration further down the road.

• ShadowTiger

The fact of the matter is… my dual 8800 GT action is plenty of power, SSD’s are a waste of money, I don’t need a laptop, and buying games for <$5 on steam is lots of fun!

Anyways… my real holiday wish is for the game I am working on to be released!

• 5150

SSD’s a waste of money? O RLY?

• Dashak

Sure, he can still argue that. A lot of us are waiting for capacities to reach a sweet spot before we put down our money. I’m waiting for 256GB at $150.

• OneArmedScissor

What do you have 256GB of that would work faster on a SSD?

• Voldenuit

My Steam games folder alone is larger than 128 GB, and I don’t even have most of my games installed.

I am perfectly happy to relegate them to a platter drive, but I imagine some people want the benefit of near-instantaneous level loads.

• OneArmedScissor

I think you could potentially fill a 256GB SSD with games, but the thing is that you’d pretty much have to try and do it on purpose. I just have to question how many people ever would, even if they had the space.

All too often, I get the idea that people look at the size of a SSD and say, “Only 128GB? But I’m using 300GB!” Well, you already have that drive…so…*hint hint nudge nudge*

• Dashak

Yup, what he said. My Steam folder alone is 179GB.

• lilbuddhaman

little known fact, although it is a small annoyance, you can have two installs of steam on your PC, and have each with different “installed” games on each.

I have a “SSD Steam” for all the latest releases that I play often, and I know *need* the faster drive, and an “old Steam” install for all the older games that load fast and run at 100fps+ anyways. It bugs out here and there but its sure better than filling my SSD up with games I only occasionally play.

Steam really needs a “choose where to install” option.

• Jason181

I have a 120 GB SSD, and my Steam folder is ~350GB (I have about 200 games, and not all of the are installed). I use Windows Junctions to move my less used games to my 2TB Caviar Black Raid-0 array. It’s a way to have speed on the games you want and still have all the games you want installed. In actuality, for game loading times I don’t think the SSD is much faster than the RAID-0 array. It does *[http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/<]ยง

• paulWTAMU

that would be my main motivation for buying an SSD. I don’t give a flip if boot time goes from 5 seconds to 4 or whatever.

• TaBoVilla

let us know when the piece goes gold, good luck!

• dashbarron

I wish I could find a cheap-ass 8800GT, and I’d pair it with my own ๐Ÿ™‚ Hmm, two different manuf. cards work together, right?

• Machupo

a nanoITX Zacate mobo for my double DIN carputer.

None of the above!

I want a decent HTPC case. Wall-mounting your flatscreen is the norm these days and desktop form-factor HTPC cases are far too deep.
    Someone please link me a uATX or ITX case with room for an optical drive and full-height cards that is less than 12″ deep and 6″ tall. Width is practically immaterial.

• Deanjo

A couple of GTX 580’s of course.

• Ardrid

I chose games but I would really like a nice 23-24″ monitor at 1920×1080 to replace my ridiculously old 19″ CRT. Any suggestions for the wife? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• anotherengineer

See post #70

• JustAnEngineer

Dell UltraSharp U2410.

• HisDivineShadow

I put a trunkload of new games, but what I really need is an Asus G73-based laptop to replace my still awesome, if slowly being made obsolete Asus G50. This close to Sandy Bridge and seeing the release of the AMD Radeon 6800 series, I’m hoping that there’s some awesome Sandy Bridge + 6800 (or perhaps an nVidia 580) Asus laptop coming in the first few months of 2011.

• BiffStroganoffsky

The same thing that is first on all of my lists, Pinky: world domination!

…narf!

• burntham77

I would love an Xbox 360 because my roommate is moving out and taking his with him, and that’s the only way we will still be able to play Rock Band. Plus, that will make it easier to stream shows and movies from the HTPC in the living to his old bedroom, which will now be my new office/game room.

• DrDillyBar

We need a “none of the above”.
    I just bought 3 of those options, and my family doesn’t buy me computer stuff for christmas in general.

• paulWTAMU

I actually have 0 tech desires for christmas. I’ve got more games than I have time for already, my machine is decent for my needs…
    now, talk about new snakes for my breeding groups or new firearms and yeah I’ve got a list.
    Marlin 1895 in 45/70 being at the top of the list.

• bowman

Something I know won’t come before fall or spring next year – a Macbook Pro refresh so I can decide on whether or not to buy one.

Voted for Sandy Bridge cause that’s what I hope the refreshes will have – might be my first Apple product if they’re any good!

• SomeOtherGeek

C’mon! I can’t vote this, I want 3 of them: SSD, Sandy Bridge and graphics card. Those are all wants tho… So, I guess I’ll just hold off a little while and just enjoy my 27 incher!

• jdaven

That’s what she said!

• eternalmatt

HIOOOOOOOOO

• sircharles32

How about a completely new system build?

• tay

11″ Macbok Air. Never gonna get it.

• CampinCarl

I’m going to go with option “Money.” because I am a poor college student.

• JokerCPoC

None of the Above should have been an option, sigh. My relatives are taking Me to Disneyland not too long from now, Otherwise there isn’t going to be Christmas here.

• potatochobit

Slow down there big fella!

you need to make the, “What do you want for Black Friday?” list first
    before you make any christmas lists

• 2cans

sandybridge will be here thats why its on the poll , id bet dammage is benching it as we speak along with the new high end cards from red and green , buts thats just my 2cents ๐Ÿ˜‰

• ClickClick5

I want a new GPU next Christmas. This Christmas is some more games.

• OneArmedScissor

I would very much like a Bobcat laptop, but considering that ARM-based “smartbooks” are actually going to show up sooner, there may be some serious competition there. Above all else, I just want something that the battery will last on. We’ll have to wait and see, but it’s going to be hard to beat building the entire computer and OS around that goal. They just can’t skimp out on the batteries like the first run of netbooks did.

The decent graphics and CPU in Bobcat sound nice, but don’t do me any good if I’m just going to be typing and internetsing. I could get more use out of something a little better if it has firewire, but that’s probably not going to happen with anything in the “netbook” range considering that even full size laptops usually don’t come with express card slots. ๐Ÿ™

Out of what’s up there, I’d like a new video card so I can comfortably run “ultra” in SC2 at 1920×1080 with AA enabled (right now I run “high” presets and no AA just to be sure I stay at 60fps at nearly all times). But even then it’s not something I really need or expect to get.

More likely will be the SONAR X1 Producer upgrade for $99. And that looks really sweet.

• ssidbroadcast

I want an iPad.

• ronch

Too few choices. I didn’t know the shops are planning to sell only these items this Christmas.

• anotherengineer

Indeed, all I want for christmas are my two front teeth, my 2 front teeth…

or to get past the 40th achievement on CSS lolz

• Corrado

Mostly car parts to finish up my project/restoration 1980 VW Scirocco. I dunno, I don’t need much else really. Maybe a renewal for the yearly netflix subscription my In laws got me last year.

Looking at upgrading my C2D 2.66ghz mac mini to a new MacBook pro, but I don’t want another C2D since its not really an upgrade and I don’t want to spend $1900 on a 15″, so I’ll be waiting for a true refresh to the 13″ MBP to a i3 or i5 setup. Plus, no one is buying me a $1000 christmas gift.

• lex-ington

I’m not voting for any of them as everything is going towards down-payment for a house, and then onto a new car as mine is starting to show its abuse. I have my eyes set on a Scion XB and propably a Scion Tc for the wife.

• sigher

Maybe let her decide what she wants to drive?

• JustAnEngineer

The Scion tC *[

• TaBoVilla

world peace

• SomeOtherGeek

+1 Most definitely!

• sigher

Is that some sort of sarcasm? To say world peace and link it to a religious holiday?
      If it is it’s a hilarious move but it needs to be punched home more.

• Jigar

This poll is incomplete without cheese option.

• Peffse

Then what’s the iPad up there for?

• Fighterpilot

The cheese option is about as fresh as “Can it play Crisis”?
      Just let it go…please.

• flip-mode

A GTX 460 or HD 6850 would be excellent. A trunkload of games would be nice too. A 1TB Samsung F3 would be nice. A MSI 890GXM-G65 would be swell, but I’d need the RAM too.

• Ricardo Dawkins

An Android or WP7 device. Looking for the Archos 43, right now

• lex-ington

I think you should avoid the Archos43. The UI is horrendous and the device is slow for the price and what it is supposed to do. The screen is really nice but the controls are just . . . . . .I have no words to describe the bad feeling it leaves.

You’re better off just getting an android device and putting RockPlayer on it.

• sweatshopking

Plus, who buys pc games these days….?

• burntham77

Adults buy PC games.

• mcnabney

People with larger than average penis sizes.

probably new guts, my q6600/8800gts’ are getting very long in the tooth. considering i game at 19×12

• sweatshopking

q6600 is enough for every game on the market. OC it if you’re low.

• Kurotetsu

SSD
    New monitor
    Upgrade to quad-core
    network media player

• crose

Uhh, getting “some”..

• anotherengineer

Just some? I told my wife I want some every day for the whole month for Christmas, I think I am going to get scrooged again this year ๐Ÿ™ more socks, sweaters and slippers that will never get worn, sigh.

• sweatshopking

welcome to my world. ๐Ÿ™

• 5150

Once in two years. Beat that.

• ssidbroadcast

Yeesh! Depressing thread is depressing!

• anotherengineer

I want to win the lotto for christmas, even 50k would be good enough to pay off the debts, I know I’m not that greedy, I would make a terrible American ๐Ÿ˜‰

• paulWTAMU

……….
            dude. WHY?!

• 5150

Hysterectomy, sinus surgery, anemia. Combine all that in the past couple of years, no nookie.

• lilbuddhaman

Sounds like you got a lemon, better trade-in. She got a cousin or sister thats not so worn out ?

• mcnabney

That shouldn’t interupt conjugal fun.

I have two kids not yet in school plus a wife with menorrhagia, hypothyroidism, and a lower back injury and we are still hitting it twice a week. Get counseling……now.

• paulWTAMU

i could see a few months to a year after the hysterectomy…but 2 years?? Man. See if she’ll meet ya halfway with other things…2 years is too long! My wife was *pissed* when we went a few months (medication side effect, killed my libido).

• 5150

I’ve told her other things would be awesome since the norm causes her pain, but she just has no desire. Plus she’s on meds that kill her libido too. FML!!!

• anotherengineer

Ya a hot wife that doesnt “share” isn’t very nice ๐Ÿ™

• 5150

Sometimes I wish my wife was ugly, because she is hot, it makes things 10x worse.

• burntham77

Yeah, I want to get some sleep too.

• MixedPower

I’ll be putting my Christmas money towards one of the new graphics cards that Nvidia and AMD will be releasing soon. I i[

• stmok

Well, Sandy Bridge (LGA1155) may be a possibility; as that is coming in Jan 2011.

But Ontario/Zacate based systems won’t be available until Feb 2011.

• willmore

Only if you take an IOU. 2010/12/25 comes before 2011/1/1–even assuming SB launches hard on New Years Day. Sort of hard to believe.

I’m hoping to see it in stores in force by my birthday–in March–but even that is iffy.

• grantmeaname

I need to get me one of those RealSSD C300s, or one of their yet-to-be-released relatives. That would be lovely.

• sweatshopking

You need to have “a new monitor” on there as well. my 1024 x 768 monitor is not fun anymore. it IS a professional POS touchscreen monitor, so it’s like 750$ new, but it has crap refresh and is a poor choice

• boing

I want a nice 24″+ monitor with 19:10 resolution to replace my old 19″ 4:3 monitor that has a big scratch across its surface.

• 5150

You mean like the Dell U2410 I literally just put on my desk a few minutes ago? LOL

• sweatshopking

you’re a bastard

• anotherengineer

I want one too ๐Ÿ™ or 2 of them and a colour calibrator, 3 would be nice but I don’t have that much room.

• 5150

It looks good right next to my other one. LOL

• anotherengineer

lol double bastard

• sweatshopking

ship me your old one, i’ll pay you in, ahem, “favors”

• anotherengineer

If your in Canada isn’t it “favours” ?? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Things are slow here at work ๐Ÿ™

• sweatshopking

yes, but favours comes up red in opera. so i just changed it. slow here too.

• JustAnEngineer

The U2410 is a great monitor, but I still prefer gaming on the 3007WFP.

• Fighterpilot

I got a U2410 a few months ago…they really do live up to the hype….excellent.

• grantmeaname

would 16:10 work instead? =P

• boing

Oops. ๐Ÿ™‚

• ybf

How about 19:10 resolution in a 16:9 ratio?

• boing

Sorry, I’m not geeky enough to comprehend what that means.

• sigher

Having everything egg-shaped is more an easter thing.

• SomeOtherGeek

I just got a 27 incher… Holy crap! It is huge!

• sweatshopking

that’s what she said.

• Dashak

27 inch what? What’s the model?

• sweatshopking

P3NI5

• stdRaichu

I’m still using my awesome Dell 2407 WFP-HC, still the best 24″ monitor I’ve seen (two U2211’s on my main rig – 16:9 and the colours still aren’t as good as the 2407). A quick look at UK ebay showed one going for ยฃ120 so if you’re lucky you might be able to pick one up for cheap.

• MuParadigm

Boing speaks for me: I want a new monitor for Xmas. I’m surprised that’s not a voting option.