Latest Google Chrome beta adds integrated PDF viewer

Last week, Google released a new beta version of Chrome, version number 8.0.522.28. The big news is that this release has an integrated PDF viewer, allowing users to view PDF files within the browser sans third party applications or plug-ins. According to Google’s John Abd-El-Malek, the Chrome PDF viewer also runs in its own “sandbox,” providing an extra layer of security.

Shockingly, Google went with a clean, minimalistic look for the PDF viewer interface. Check out the screenshot below:

The spartan interface includes a total of four buttons in the form of a floating toolbar on the bottom right hand side of the page. The first two buttons allow the user to toggle between standard and wide-screen viewing, and the second pair of buttons allow zooming in and out. Just like in Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader, hitting CTRL-S lets you save the PDF file to your hard drive,  as well.

Loading various PDFs worked well in my testing, and I have no complaints in either the speed or stability departments. I did miss a few of the features included in more full-featured plug-ins, such as the ability to flip from page to page with a single click—browsing PDFs with the Chrome viewer requires a lot of scrolling. For casual, quick-and-dirty PDF browsing, however, it’s hard to beat the convenience Chrome offers in this latest release. Google hasn’t confirmed when this feature will come out of beta, but version 8.0 of Chrome is probably a good guess.

• dinker

Has Chrome got a bookmarks button yet?

• wiak

right click > save as
    works to you know 😛

• wiak

old news, it has been in chrome for months now, its just that it was was disabled by default in about:labs page 🙂

• Usacomp2k3

Page Up/Down work great for scrolling.

• dlenmn

This has been in chrome _stable_ for a good while — it just hasn’t been enabled by default.

To activate it, go to §[

• sschaem

I have version Chrome 8, and in there the UI overlay over the PDF.
    So even more UI real estate saving!

Search works like with any web page, really nice. So quick to scroll to various marked location in large documents.

• sweatshopking

chrome still sucks.

• eitje

NO YUO.

• wiak

reality check
      man have you tried it or do you still use Internet Explorer 6?

• NarwhaleAu

Idiot.

Chrome has become my default browser after only using it for the last few months. It’s comparable to firefox, but is a cleaner and, it seems to me, faster browsing experience.

• kvndoom

Welcome to Tech Report. Years ago this was a friendly helpful place where people could engage in healthy debates and were actually allowed to have individual opinions.

Now it has become little more than a clash of condescending egos, where you are ridiculed and considered a neanderthal or single-celled organism if you don’t follow the crowd and use all the new shiny toys like everyone else. Because you know, everyone NEEDS a spiffy new operating system, quad-core CPU, 8 gigs of memory and terabyte hard drive to read the same emails and type the same Word documents they read/typed 5 years ago. And god forbid if your web browser of choice renders a page a few milliseconds slower than the mine!!! That makes you INFERIOR to me for choosing the features that work for you instead of the features that matter to ME!

And yes, I agree that Chrome sucks. As far as browsers go, speed or no speed, I think it’s garbage. It’s like using Internet Explorer 2. I take that back. Internet Explorer 2 actually was MORE accessible. Oh I forgot. I am a sub-human piece of trash because I want to click on buttons instead of using mouse gestures. Because, you know, mouse gestures are for the Ascended Übermensch of Tech Report.

• bthylafh

Nerd rage is the funniest rage.

• kvndoom

I’m not raging, only pointing out fact. I’m not the one calling people idiots because they don’t unquestionably adopt everything new that comes out. Every time an article shows up on this site with the words “Windows XP,” “Chrome,” or “Apple,” the nonstop parade of insults begins.

• bthylafh

It’s the cost of success. Even Slashdot used to be free of trolls and fanboys, before anybody’d heard of it.

• Nutmeg

Mouse gestures? What are you on about? Didn’t even know Chrome had those built in.

• Peffse

It’s shocking they went with a minimalist approach? Are you using a different Chrome than I am?

• Duck

warning… sarcasm detector needs retuning…

• HisDivineShadow

They went minimalist so you can add the extra features by using the other plugins available for download. They just want you to have the required software to view the content on the rare occasion you pull it up. If you need advanced features, you should be looking at solutions beyond the built-in default.

• emorgoch

The one thing I do with all my PDF viewers is set them to single page view so that my scroll wheel will flip to the next page with each click. If this viewer doesn’t do that, then I won’t be using it.

• eitje

agreed.

• cygnus1

This has been around for quite a while, at least I’ve been using it for quite a while in the alphas.. I thought it was also in the beta already, just not enabled by default.

It’s a very nice thing not to have to load a PDF app.

• Meadows

Until you have to print said PDF documents correctly.

• cygnus1

maybe that’s just google trying to save the trees

tree killer

:p

• Waco

Google only printing the top half of PDFs doesn’t save trees. 😛

• djgandy

But you can still save and print. What amount of PDF documents viewed online are immediately printed? < 0.1%?

This is a great feature, it saves loading buggy adobe crapware 🙂

• Firestarter

And dodges the issue of updating your Adobe Reader and knowing that Adobe didn’t bother to fix critical security holes.

• kamikaziechameleon

FINALLY!!!!!!

• Hattig

Hmm, since when did my Chrome his version 7. They don’t even tell you!

• bcronce

I only find out by monitoring tech news sites myself.. 😐

• indeego

/[

• Tumbleweed

That’s nothing. I’m on the dev channel, and it’s at version 9.

• Firestarter

Ran into this last week and couldn’t find the button to save the PDF. CTRL-S and CTRL-P seem so obvious, but a context menu or something really doesn’t hurt Google!

• OneArmedScissor

It had one before, but it was…not good. It’s no wonder they just threw it out.