Slates won’t kill netbooks, IDC predicts

These days, everyone seems to agree that slates are cannibalizing laptop sales to some extent. And because of their low cost and limited functionality, netbooks seem particularly vulnerable to cannibalization. IDC doesn’t think the iPad and its ilk will bring about the death of netbooks anytime soon, though. In fact, the research firm forecasts a compound annual growth rate of 4.3% for netbook shipments over the next four years.

IDC, which calls netbooks "mini notebooks," expects to see double-digit netbook shipment growth in Latin America, central Europe, eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Growth in the States will only be in the single digits, though, and IDC actually predicts an 11% drop in shipments across western Europe. I guess those new Apple stores in Paris and London must be doing their job.

The research firm goes so far as to estimate future market shares for netbook vendors. It says Acer and Asus will continue to occupy the top two spots on the podium. (Those two vendors reportedly snagged a combined 42.6% of the netbook market last year, seeing further share growth in the first half of this year.) Meanwhile, HP will remain the bronze medalist, with Dell and others getting consolation prizes.

• stmok

l[

• blastdoor

Defining “computer” to include desktops, laptops, netbooks, and slates…

If I could have only one computer it would be a 15″ laptop.

If I could have only two computers, I’d have a 15″ laptop and a slate.

If I could have three computers (which I do), I’d have a desktop. 15″ laptop, and a slate.

I don’t think I need more than three computers.

But I could imagine that there are people who might want a desktop plus a netbook instead of a laptop plus a slate. That seems like a perfectly reasonable scenario.

• kamikaziechameleon

I agree I’d max out at 3 computers. I think in the end a netbook is a compromize between a slate and a notebook.

I personally don’t like mobile computing that much. If there was a emulator or something to let me play classics like baulders gate 2 or diablo 2 confortably on a slate I would have no need for any for anything other than a slate.

Ideally I’d like a powerful dekstop and a mobile slate but there are games and stuff I really like to do on the go that a slate can’t satisfy.

• MrDigi

Not really that good for email or web without a seperate keyboard or mouse/stylus. Web sites that are finger friendly and flash free make for real limitations.

• trackerben

Bluetooth keyboards and flip cases are available. What’s really annoying on the iPad is the inability to search for terms on a web page rendered in Safari.

• Madman

Slates are useless for any productive work as well as for entertainment, so… What are we even talking about?

• ImSpartacus

Netbooks aren’t great at content creation either.

• OneArmedScissor

Netbooks will do:

Internets
        MS Office
        PDFs
        Printing
        Your company’s random database program from 1995

…and so on, with a mouse and keyboard. I’m pretty sure that’s everything most people need for “productive work,” considering it’s completely identical to a laptop.

I’d actually argue that they’re potentially more productive since lots of them came with SSDs and they get very good battery life, whereas most peoples’ work laptops barely last at all unplugged and have 90 background processes that will bog down any laptop HDD. You can take my stupid 40 pound Thinkpad that spews fire out the exhaust vent and give me something like that any day.

• Madman

Yea, the only complaint against netbooks is the small screen, which makes text painful for reading at 96dpi.

Other than that, the 200$ el-cheapo netbook today is way more powerful than the IBM-R51 laptop I’m still using.

• OneArmedScissor

I think I’d live if it were 12″ and I were lugging it around with me, and there’s always external monitors for when you’re not.

• Bauxite

Indeed, a hdmi port turns the quite common hdtv into a halfway decent monitor.

Helps to have a shortcut to the display adapter scaling though, everything seems to be a different standard input. Seen just about every bar on the slider used to get 1:1 depending on make and model.

Someone remind me, what if any is the point of under or overscan in the digital world?

• MadManOriginal

I believe it’s for content compatability.