Intel makes 120GB X25-M official, cuts other SSD prices

The 120GB X25-M SSD we spotted in Japan yesterday is coming to North America. Intel just issued a press release stating the drive will appear stateside with a suggested price of $249. Actual street prices are likely to be a little different, but according to the company, the 120GB model should offer the best capacity-per-dollar value in the X25-M line.

Speaking of the rest of the line, Intel has new suggested prices for the other capacity points in the X25-M family. The 80GB drive’s official price has dropped to $199, while the 160GB version has been cut to $415. Newegg’s well ahead of the game on both fronts; it already offers the 80GB drive for $190 and the 160GB unit for $385. Given those street prices, I’d expect the 120GB X25-M to sell for a little less than $249 when it hits the US market—and that’s before considering the competition.

The 120/128G capacity point has been a popular one among SSD makers, and there are no shortage of affordable options. Our favorites include Corsair’s Indilinx-based Nova 128GB, which is currently selling for only $220. For just $10 more, you can pick up an OCZ Agility 2 120GB with a SandForce SF-1200 controller under the hood.

• paulWTAMU

Oh that 160s close enough to my price point that I’m going to start saving my pennies. W00t!!

• HisDivineShadow

I’d wait for the next generation drives at this point. Indilinx should be showing up with one here in the next few months, Intel has some coming, Sandforce is bringing one out, Micron, too.

Prices will drop on these lower end drives and performance will be better on the newer ones. If you’ve gone this long, might as well hold out till March imo.

Yes, yes, there’s always the, “You could always wait a little longer argument,” but in this case the performance and price improvements could be quite large. Plus, I think these prices on the Intel drives especially are likely to go down even in the next month or so. Just based on SSD trends.

• kamikaziechameleon

I really want a SSD but I really don’t want to have to partition my files across multiple drives. I want a 1TB SSD so bad, how many years till they reach 100 dollars? 3-5?

• 5150

Didn’t you just ask this question yesterday? WTF knows.

• tay

I would say 5-8 years…

• OneArmedScissor

As many years as it takes for flash supply to outpace demand…with more and more tablets, smartphones, smartbooks, and lard knows what else coming down the line that will call for gobs and gobs of it.

• Firestarter

1TB of SSD ~= 2k USD. Do you want it that bad or not?

• anotherengineer

Probably never, as I have said in a previous post. 0.10/GB are more like HDD prices.

SSD’s, well memory controller, memory chips, etc, etc. at 0.10/GB a 120GB drive would cost $12.0 and I can’t see that happening ever. I mean even 10 years down the road if they can make a 120GB single NAND chip for 5 bucks, you still have the costs of the controller, pcb, packaging, shipping, etc.

• gudanov

I took the plunge a year ago with the 80GB G2 model. It’s worth some partitioning to have your most used applications load almost instantly. Not to mention that when the Windows desktop appears you don’t have to keep waiting. Easily the best upgrade you can do for day to day use for the $200 – $250.

• Flying Fox

Don’t use the Library feature much?

• crazybus

Use symlinks or mount storage volumes in directories rather than as drive letters?

• Flying Fox

If it were G3 with this premium that will be fine, so what does it have over OCZ and Corsair, the Intel brand (granted it is a powerful one)?

• Firestarter

The Intel brand. Don’t forget Intel has a lot of goodwill to lose at the business side: when they deliver a bad batch of anything, that costs them a lot more than you might think, even if it’s not measurable.

• OneArmedScissor

romg Intel tax!

Businesses might want them since it’s both an upgrade and viable replacement to a proved model. I can’t imagine Intel’s goal is to unload a bunch of these on the average joe. Since it’s coming at the end of the G2 line’s run, they probably intend to keep this on as a replacement part and to keep their 34nm flash useful.

That makes a lot more sense (for Intel) as an alternative to introducing the vaporware 34nm 300GB drives just before the 22nm models, and it also keeps the upcoming 22nm 80GB “value” version from looking like a giveaway.

• anotherengineer

Indeed.

I think most off the sandforce based 120GB drives use the Intel/Micron Nand chips??

Meanwhile most of the 120GB sandforce drives tend to be about $230 on avg. so that’s about $1.92/GB

While the 160GB intel is $416 §[<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167024<]§ so about $2.60/GB Now since Intel probably gets better pricing on the NAND than Corsair etc. and they use there own controller which avoids 3rd person mark up, and yet they are that much more expensive.............ya thats why they make over 2000 Million $$$$ a quarter. Intel you make good stuff, but I will be keeping my money k thx bye.

• indeego

Intel’s forums aren’t filled with basic motherboard compatibility issues like OCZ’s are, though. Intel SSD’s just *[

• anotherengineer

True.

But also remember that majority of chipsets out in the world are intel and I would expect an intel ssd to work flawlessly with them. And therefore see a lot less issues as a result.

Another also, since Intel makes their own controller and their own firmware they have better control and faster fixes.

Ocz, Corsair, G.Skill, etc. have to wait for Sandforce?? To update firmware?
            I don’t know but Intel doesn’t have those 3rd party issues.

Which is why they should be even less expensive, but if you make 2000 Million/quater, your expected to make more the next and next, so greed/capitalism fail in that regard.

• Firestarter

Intel tests their controllers and drives extensively, that’s why they have less issues. They cannot afford to lose their image of having solid products so they have to spend more in R&D and testing to make sure that image is protected. As for pricing, the drives as they are now are competitive, even if they’re not topping the charts. And apparently demand is strong enough, so pricing them lower would be poor business.

• Firestarter

I’m itching for the 3rd gen Intel drives to be introduced and thoroughly abused by you guys!