Deal of the week: Enclosures, hard drives, and more

Newegg’s pre-Black Friday sales frenzy is still in high gear, with a full page of deals running until Sunday night. I’m seeing a good number of desirable items, including:

• Antec’s P183 enclosure, which is on sale for $119.99 after the promo code EMCZZZN35, or $89.99 after a mail-in rebate. That’s a clear bargain, considering this same item sold for about $160 not so long ago.
  • Samsung’s Spinpoint F4 2TB, a 5,400-RPM mass-storage drive is available for only $79.99 (down from $109.99) after the promo code EMCZZZN33. We haven’t had a chance to review this bad boy quite yet, but user reviews look overwhelmingly positive, so it’s probably a safe buy. And who can say no to four-cent gigabytes?
  • OCZ’s 16GB Diesel USB 2.0 flash drive, which is on sale for $22.99 (down from $35.99) after the promo code EMCZZZN62. The 2GB version of this drive has served as my keychain for a few years now, and it’s held up surprisingly well. Being able to grab the 16-gig version for just over 20 bucks sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I suppose this is a good opportunity to point out that EVGA’s GeForce GTX 460 FTW is still available for $229.99, or $219.99 after a mail-in rebate, and that it comes with a free copy of HAWX 2. We found this card to be slightly quicker and quieter overall than the stock Radeon HD 6870, which is pretty convenient, considering 6870 prices are currently inflated.

• dextrous

I bought one of the 2TB drives. Should make a good HTPC DVR drive.

• vince

I hate it when the sales are not the same on the Newegg.ca site…

>:-(

• kiwik

It boots just fine on a HTPC or NAS system. Even for a grandma/grandpa PC, it’s just fine, but they don’t need 2TB drives.

EDIT : Forgot to hit reply on #2

• Buzzard44

Wow, y’all must have some deal with Newegg.

When I tried to use that promo code, but opened up a new window rather than going through y’all’s link, the promo code worked until I got to the final confirmation page when it took away my $30 off and said “The promo code EMCZZZN33 is only available for certain programs.”

I tried again, using y’all’s link, and it worked.

• MadManOriginal

I am tempted by the Terabytes…but I use WHS for my ‘NAS’ and I understand that these are 4kB sector ‘advanced format’ drives but unlike WD there is no jumper or software tool to make them 512B sectors? I know they’d still be ‘ok’ but I’ve seen benchmarks of the performance drop using 4k sector drives unaligned…right now I’ve got WD Blacks in my WHS box and everything is quite speedy, over the network, remoting desktopping and doing things straight on the box, and doing things like duplicating folders, and I’d be a little annoyed if these drives were noticably poorer. (I once had a slower drive along with the Blacks and when I took it out the difference was immediately measurable.)

Sooo..anyone know a ‘trick’ to get these to play nice on a pre-Vista OS?

• BoBzeBuilder

How can I bring myself to buy a SSD when beautiful 2TB drives sell for less than $80?

• Dashak

You don’t want to boot off that 2TB.

• Duck